(Auto)biographical Reflections on MDB/DM

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

(Auto)biographical Reflections on MDB/DM

Post by Kishkumen »

Greetings, fellow denizens of DM!

This board has had a long and storied existence, as online discussion venues go, and I think it is worthwhile for us to commit more time and effort to preserving and promoting its memory. To that end, I am proposing that we compile an (Auto)biographical Dictionary of MDB. This project would be a dictionary composed of (auto)biographical blurbs on the members of the forum, past and present, organized by online handles. Entries might say something about what led you to this forum, what made you stay, other things about your MDB experience, and a little something about how it has impacted your life. Those who have for the most part ceased to be active on the board could say something about where they are now in their thoughts about the time they spent on MDB.

Now, there are people who have passed on not only from the board but also from mortal life. In these cases, I think we should have groups of volunteers sympathetic to the poster who would would put together an entry for that person. There would then be an informal review process to see whether more people thought it did the memory of the person in question justice. Here I am thinking of people like Johnny and gramps, but there may be others as well.

We would also seek out contributions from people who have posted here in the past but have moved on. If they decline, then we will follow the procedure for those who have passed on, except that we might send them the entry to see if they approve of it. Some, especially the apologists, may object to the content because they don't want to see the board flourish in any way, and such objections would not be allowed to hamper the project.

Naturally, the more people we can get to write their own entries, the more we will learn. Entries written on behalf of others will be more limited in the scope of information, but we can do our best to fill out such entries. It is important to note that we have been fortunate to see a lot of interesting people here, some of whom are important within the fishbowl of Mormon Studies and apologetics. Entries on such people would add interest to the end product. My view is that we should be as even-handed and fair in covering apologists who have posted here as we can be, even to the point that we feel we are being too nice. In the end, no entry should be a lampoon of a poster.

The end goal will be to produce a book that can be electronically published and even printed on demand, the proceeds of which would go toward supporting the upkeep and hosting of this board. I look forward to reading your thoughts about this suggestion.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Re: (Auto)biographical Dictionary of MDB/DM

Post by Markk »

That would be a huge under taking. Are you going to be the chief editor?

Good luck, I would be happy to add my meagre remembrances, from an ex Mo./Evangelical/conservative/workingman perspective. I believe a sample of what you might be looking for, from your journey, would help?
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Fascinating idea, reverend. I look forward to seeing how this evolves! As a relative newcomer to the board, I would certainly like to know more about the stories and significant contributions of others here.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

“Markk” wrote:That would be a huge under taking. Are you going to be the chief editor?

Good luck, I would be happy to add my meagre remembrances, from an ex Mo./Evangelical/conservative/workingman perspective. I believe a sample of what you might be looking for, from your journey, would help?
Yes, I suppose I would be the chief editor, although I hope others will pitch in.

Your autobiographical entry is something I and many others will look forward to reading, Markk. A model entry is a great idea.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:26 pm
Fascinating idea, reverend. I look forward to seeing how this evolves! As a relative newcomer to the board, I would certainly like to know more about the stories and significant contributions of others here.
Thanks, Dr Moore. Like you, I am eager to read others’ perspectives and their “MDB stories.” Your story is an important one, Dr Moore, and it just goes to show that a relative newcomer can really make a splash.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

I'm definitely in. Not only will I contribute my own story, of course, but I will gladly help with the editing process.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:02 am
I'm definitely in. Not only will I contribute my own story, of course, but I will gladly help with the editing process.
Thank you, Dr. Shades! I know you are a knowledgeable editor!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Doctor Scratch's historical work showing the transition between ZLMB and MD / MD board splits linked in HoF is a worthy of addition as it is.

I could throw together some thoughts from discovery of ZLMB to this board. I think the real value though would be in getting the perspectives of posters who post less frequently but have been around a long time. Example: Bret Ripley? would love to get that story.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:16 pm
Doctor Scratch's historical work showing the transition between ZLMB and MD / MD board splits linked in HoF is a worthy of addition as it is.

I could throw together some thoughts from discovery of ZLMB to this board. I think the real value though would be in getting the perspectives of posters who post less frequently but have been around a long time. Example: Bret Ripley? would love to get that story.
Yes to all of the above! I hope we can get the entries of less-frequent posters especially!
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:16 pm
Example: Bret Ripley? would love to get that story.
Chapter 1: It was a dark and stormy night.

(I will try to come up with more later.)

ETA: kidding aside, I'd be fine with sharing -- I just can't imagine it will be interesting unless I'm allowed to retcon in some ninjas or space marines.

On a selfish note: I'd be interested to know if anyone else here used to frequent the old alt.religion.Mormon (or maybe even soc.religion.Mormon), and whether I had any interactions with them there.