Levite's Concubine – Benjamite War

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
markc
Star A

Levite's Concubine – Benjamite War

Post by markc »

My new article this week. Serious Warning: Viewer Discretion Advised.

https://open.substack.com/pub/chumark54 ... Share=true

It's a way longer piece than Lot's story. Though it's again from the Bible, the holy book, this is more graphic and brutal; way more.

Thanks.
huckelberry
God

Re: Levite's Concubine – Benjamite War

Post by huckelberry »

Markc, Do you think the abuse you suffered was influenced by the Bible or perhaps a result of things in the human race much more widely spread? One can find nasty action in human history in quite a few places.

Starting with Judges it is clear I think (and archeology agrees) that there was a long process of different people being brought politically together not a unity breaking up. I do not know a way to determine how much of this tale is real events and how much folk tale. It seems to reflect serious political instability. Of course it is not a holy story or a moral lesson.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

markc wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:37 pm
My new article this week. Serious Warning: Viewer Discretion Advised.
https://open.substack.com/pub/chumark54 ... Share=true

It's a way longer piece than Lot's story. Though it's again from the Bible, the holy book, this is more graphic and brutal; way more.

Thanks.

Good entry. You are right to point out the brutality in an unvarnished way.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
markc
Star A

Post by markc »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:12 pm
Markc, Do you think the abuse you suffered was influenced by the Bible or perhaps a result of things in the human race much more widely spread? One can find nasty action in human history in quite a few places.
I believe all humans are capable of evil and kindness, but when to do what varies a lot. I think that's why both are widely spread. Hope I'm making sense.
huckelberry wrote:
Starting with Judges it is clear I think (and archeology agrees) that there was a long process of different people being brought politically together not a unity breaking up. I do not know a way to determine how much of this tale is real events and how much folk tale. It seems to reflect serious political instability. Of course it is not a holy story or a moral lesson.
In Chinese history, we have a saying: "Separation eventually will be united; Unity eventually will be separated" or words to that effect. This is describing the cycle of a Chinese dynasty being broken down, fighting and chaos, and then being replaced by another dynasty. I think the time of Judges was a time of separation, then finally David united the kingdom before it broke in half again.
markc
Star A

Post by markc »

Kishkumen wrote:
Good entry. You are right to point out the brutality in an unvarnished way.
Thanks, appreciate the kind words.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

markc wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:28 pm
huckelberry wrote:
I believe all humans are capable of evil and kindness, but when to do what varies a lot. I think that's why both are widely spread. Hope I'm making sense.
huckelberry wrote:
In Chinese history, we have a saying: "Separation eventually will be united; Unity eventually will be separated" or words to that effect. This is describing the cycle of a Chinese dynasty being broken down, fighting and chaos, and then being replaced by another dynasty. I think the time of Judges was a time of separation, then finally David united the kingdom before it broke in half again.
Markc, My knowledge of Chinese history is limited or simplified. I am aware of big swings between order and the breakdown of order. Your phrase fits. It would fit history in other places, perhaps Europe as well, though here in the west that story template is not as popular as the collapse of an old civilization to start anew or perhaps onward journey of progress. People might read the Old Testament with these lenses. Your Chinese template might fit better.

I think the Benjamin story is so over the top I can only think of it as saying, "See how totally messed up things were at that time?" My study Bible notes propose pro-"power of kings" editing by those reformers associated with Josiah.
markc
Star A

Post by markc »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:18 pm
I am aware of big swings between order and the breakdown of order.
You said it better; more straightforward and precise. English is not my first language after all. Appreciate it.