Gemli explains...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Gemli explains...

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:24 pm
I heard it all the time in my Spokane, Washington North stake, 7th Ward, to include seminary.

- Doc
Ah, seminary. Did you have the deck of 40 cards every year with scriptures you had to memorize? I'm pretty sure the Whore of Babylon thing was on the back of one of those!

Anyway, I think the angel thing came from this
The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: “An angel of God never has wings. Some will say that they have seen a spirit; that he offered them his hand, but they did not touch it. This is a lie. First, it is contrary to the plan of God: a spirit cannot come but in glory; an angel has flesh and bones; we see not their glory.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/man ... ir%20glory.
[bolding added]
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:50 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:24 pm
I heard it all the time in my Spokane, Washington North stake, 7th Ward, to include seminary.

- Doc
Ah, seminary. Did you have the deck of 40 cards every year with scriptures you had to memorize? I'm pretty sure the Whore of Babylon thing was on the back of one of those!

Anyway, I think the angel thing came from this
The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: “An angel of God never has wings. Some will say that they have seen a spirit; that he offered them his hand, but they did not touch it. This is a lie. First, it is contrary to the plan of God: a spirit cannot come but in glory; an angel has flesh and bones; we see not their glory.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/man ... ir%20glory.
[bolding added]
Thanks for digging up that reference, Marcus. I remember being taught about shaking hands with angels. (I never had an opportunity to try this out.) But I have no recollection of the wings part.

We did scripture chase, but I don't remember cards. Then again, seminary was awfully early in the morning... ;)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
I recall vaguely those cards. They looked something this, no?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/ ... 94_eng.pdf

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:18 pm
Marcus wrote:
I recall vaguely those cards. They looked something this, no?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/ ... 94_eng.pdf

- Doc
Yes-- 'scripture mastery' !! Wow, that brings back memories.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Interesting, I think we're trying to have two separate conversations. In the conversation you're having, you've hit on a point that I was sort of talking about, and that is, angels will be accepted and dismissed by their narrative role long before evidence is made into a serious issue. You remarked that it's hard to believe in angels, like it's hard to believe in a Higgs Field. There are many discussions that can happen from here, and in my original response, I picked one. Another thing on my mind though, was that it depends on how you look at it. Angels were very easy for Joseph Smith to believe in because of their diligent service to Joseph for whatever jam he was in. An angel threatened him with a sword if he didn't marry a 15-year-old girl. When the physical plates were receding in his narrative but then suddenly he needed them again just after moving back from his father-in-laws place, an angel had whisked them from the forest to his backyard. He didn't need to hide them in a bean barrel on the way back. As you point out, if the story elements don't add up in some way, we will reject the story on narrative grounds. I think we will do so long before getting to the point of considering traditional evidence. And that is somewhat of a flaw in Gemli's MO. It's much more effective to take the narrative at face value, and then look for the holes in the story, than to sit back and demand physical proof. Of course, as I've said before, if Gemli were to ever do something like that, he'd be banned. He's able to stay specifically because he rejects Dan's insistence on delving into specifics. And of course, as the Archbishop of positivist science evangelism, Gemli does snarky positivist dismissals better than anybody I've ever encountered. Too bad he doesn't write a book against religion; I'd buy it.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

It's like Gemli challenges the authenticity of Goldilocks without reading about the specifics of the porridge cooling time or the mattress composition of bear beds. Nor will he study any parallels to this documentary in Ugaritic-Aztecan.

Gemli of little faith who stands up to the great and powerful Oz

Without challenging these points, the Proprietor allows him to remain despite the collective group snarling at SeN.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Look at her hands. Look at those window panes. This is a deepfake.

It's the actual face of the real Goldilocks, obviously, but she's been photoshopped into an A.I. scene.

See how hard it is these days, to demonstrate reliable evidence for anything?
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Nah, that's not her real face, that's just the face she puts on for pictures. Her fake face. She's just acting like it is her real face.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Earlier in the week i posted gemli's response to Seatimer. The name sounded familiar, so I looked it up here, and it turns out he's commented before about gemli, and even, conveniently, about the concept of evidence as it relates to the telling of supernatural stories. In particular, the 'gold plate' story. Doc quoted this from Seatimer:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:15 am
You skeptics really don’t understand the power of larping eye-witness accounts that totes happened. For example Seatimer off SeN’s comments section waxed damn near poetic what it’d be like if a skeptic for realz saw and hefted ‘golden’ plates:
Seatimer

To a certain degree, gemli is correct in insisting that spiritual evidence is difficult if not impossible to measure. There is a certain amount of truth to what he says and claims. The true difficulty lies within the individual. What one person feels or senses cannot be easily transferrable to another person.

That being said, if gemli were somehow transported back to the day and happened to be a member of the Whitmer family, and if gemli happened to be one of the men to see and then "heft" certain golden or brass plates, would he be the same person thereafter? If in that moment of time, he had seen and hefted the plates, if he were to then deny and disavow the experience, exactly what kind of person would that make him? In today's world, would we perceive him to be a false witness or would we accept and glory and laud his "brave" decision to "stand against the crowd?"

Truly it is impossible to transfer one's own experiences, memories and discoveries over to another individual. According to God, each individual is responsible for his or her own actions. I am grateful that my heart is a "believing" heart. The glorious assurances that I have received therefrom, are worth more than all the doomsday nihilism that the atheist so adamantly adheres to.
I love it when believers have to create some sort of fantastical ‘what if’ role-playing scenario in order to generate the veneer of plausibility...

- Doc
So, it takes a 'believing heart' to accept testimony as evidence? So, one must assume the premise, in order to conclude the premise? Okay, sure, Muhlestein. :roll:

Which brings up Gad's other point about angels and demanding evidence:
Gadianton wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:28 am
...[PG] remarked that it's hard to believe in angels, like it's hard to believe in a Higgs Field. There are many discussions that can happen from here, and in my original response, I picked one. Another thing on my mind though, was that it depends on how you look at it. Angels were very easy for Joseph Smith to believe in because of their diligent service to Joseph for whatever jam he was in. An angel threatened him with a sword if he didn't marry a 15-year-old girl. When the physical plates were receding in his narrative but then suddenly he needed them again just after moving back from his father-in-laws place, an angel had whisked them from the forest to his backyard. He didn't need to hide them in a bean barrel on the way back. As you point out, if the story elements don't add up in some way, we will reject the story on narrative grounds. I think we will do so long before getting to the point of considering traditional evidence. And that is somewhat of a flaw in Gemli's MO. It's much more effective to take the narrative at face value, and then look for the holes in the story, than to sit back and demand physical proof. Of course, as I've said before, if Gemli were to ever do something like that, he'd be banned....
The only point I might slightly disagree with is that it might be "much more effective to take the narrative at face value, and then look for the holes in the story," if only because once you've conceded angels, then the miracles angels can perform can be used by an apologist to explain away just about anything. I think it is called the "goddidit" defense, and then you're down the Mo-Mo rabbit hole.

As a
never-Moe
, gemli would probably be in over his head with that strategy because of his lack of very specific knowledge. (as in, don't argue with a Trekker if you don't have every episode of every spin-off memorized.) Mopologists have said the darndest things in defense of lds weirdness, and they are coming up with new and weirder things all the time.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

gemli > DanielPeterson
16 hours ago

Don't I get royalties when I'm quoted? ...
We've been caught.

(Requesting a petty cash voucher from Cassius U. accounting dept.)