Should one read Blum's book on psychic research?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Should one read Blum's book on psychic research?

Post by Marcus »

The proprietor of a certain blog takes gemli to task frequently for not reading what he recommends. Here's a recommendation, followed by a review:
...And, very recently, I finished Deborah Blum’s very readable book Ghost Hunters: William James and the Search for Scientific Proof of Life After Death, which has given me a much better idea of the history of “psychic research” than I had before, and of the care with which the early leaders of the Society for Psychical Research — some of them extraordinarily prominent scientists and philosophers in their day and ours — went about their work.

Now, I’ve been fairly extensively mocked online over the past few weeks for my openness to evidence for “extraordinary knowing.” A few have vowed that they will never waste their time reading such worthless drivel. Several have informed me that there simply is no evidence for ESP or clairvoyance or anything of the sort.

But that seems to me to be the very question at issue — and refusing to read about the subject seems to me a very poor way to develop an informed view on the matter.
And the review:
Raising Spirits

Review by Anthony Gottlieb
Aug. 20, 2006

Episodes of high comedy in the history of science are rare, but here is one: the investigation of Eusapia Palladino, a tempestuous and erotically charged medium from the slums of Naples, by a sober Cambridge don and his friends in 1895.

The Cambridge group was from Britain’s Society for Psychical Research, and they trained themselves hard for the task. Their leader, Henry Sidgwick, was a prominent moral philosopher; his wife, Nora (the sister of a future British prime minister), was a mathematician and the principal of one of Cambridge’s first colleges for women. Together the couple practiced how they would hold Eusapia down during seances. As Deborah Blum writes in her fascinating new book, “Ghost Hunters,” Sidgwick developed an impressive skill for “dropping to the floor, his white beard trailing over the carpet, while he anchored Nora’s feet in place.”

Eusapia’s apparent ability to levitate heavy tables, make mysterious winds blow and produce a substance known as “ectoplasm” — a sort of afterbirth of the netherworld — had already convinced some scientists in Europe that paranormal powers were real. But she had been married to a traveling conjuror and would be caught in trickery countless times. Members of the Society for Psychical Research wanted to be sure. But above all, they wanted to believe. If Eusapia was exposed, they would find someone with more impressive powers. Blum’s strange tale shows how and why many British and American intellectuals (including some prominent scientists) ended up on a fruitless but determined hunt for ghosts.

Blum, a professor of science journalism at the University of Wisconsin, begins in America in the middle of the 19th century. In 1848, the Fox sisters, a pair of teenage girls from upstate New York, demonstrated their skill at eliciting information from spirits at P.T. Barnum’s museum on Broadway. “The Night Side of Nature,” a collection of ghost stories presented as fact, became a best seller. The spiritualist newspapers, of which there were many, claimed two million believers. Table-tilting and spirit-writing were all the rage. By the 1880’s, Sears, Roebuck and other companies were mass-marketing Ouija boards. America itself, Blum writes, “seemed possessed.”

Meanwhile in England, Alfred Russel Wallace, the co-presenter of the idea of natural selection with Darwin in 1858, had started visiting mediums and was mightily impressed. He was particularly taken with Daniel Dunglas Home, whose powers, according to astonished witnesses, included the ability to levitate, float out of a window and then float back in. Home, who became one of the best-known mediums in Europe, also floated into high society, marrying a goddaughter of the czar, with the novelist Alexandre Dumas as his best man.

Darwin was exasperated by Wallace’s gullibility and feared that his activities would somehow besmirch the theory of evolution. Wallace, however, suspected that evolution explained only the origins of bodies, and that a supernatural “overruling intelligence” was required to explain mental and moral life. Most of the scientific establishment, on both sides of the Atlantic, disagreed — often vehemently, as in the case of the scientist and lecturer T.H. Huxley, known as “Darwin’s bulldog” — and asserted that spiritualism was pure trickery that needed exposing rather explaining. But a smattering of eminent scientists remained open-minded or even joined the cause.

Wallace brought the chemist William Crookes, future president of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, into the fold. Crookes was the discoverer of thallium — a toxic element that some skeptics alleged had adversely affected his mind — and his work on cathode rays played a role in the discovery of the electron. Not only was Crookes convinced by Home, he was enchanted by Florence Cook, a strikingly pretty girl in her early 20’s who liked to conduct her seances in tight black dresses. While Florence was locked in her spirit cabinet, her “spirit guide” would materialize in flowing, white robes and eat cakes and drink wine while she flirted with Crookes.

Even mediums complained of the fraud that was rife in their trade. So in 1882, Sidgwick and his friends formed the Society for Psychical Research with the earnest intention of investigating supernatural claims. Sidgwick, the son of a clergyman, had abandoned Christianity but feared the moral effects of the decline of religion. His co-founders included his pupil Frederic Myers, another disillusioned clergyman’s son whose interest in spiritualism would markedly increase after his beloved drowned in a lake, and the Cambridge scholar Edmund Gurney, described as having “a mind as beautiful as his face” by George Eliot, who supposedly based Daniel Deronda in part on him. All three men accepted the dominion of modern science; their aim was to imitate its methods and provide rigorous, empirical evidence of a spiritual realm.

This idea, or something like it, evidently appealed to many intellectuals of the day, including Tennyson (who was Britain’s poet laureate at the time), Leslie Stephen (the father of Virginia Woolf), John Ruskin, Lewis Carroll and Mark Twain, who were all members of the Society for Psychical Research. It also seized the interest of William James, who served as president of the British society for two years and was involved with the short-lived American version. (Blum’s subtitle is misleading: James is not the main focus of this book.) As America’s pioneer in psychology, he was intrigued by the apparently extraordinary powers of mediums’ minds. But he was also drawn to the evidence they seemed to provide for his belief in “a continuum of cosmic consciousness against which our individuality builds but accidental fences.” In 1885, shortly after the death of his 1-year-old son, he visited a Boston psychic named Leonora Piper at the suggestion of his mother-in-law. Although he never quite accepted that life after death had been proved, James was soon convinced that Mrs. Piper (who died in 1950, at 93) knew things she could only have discovered by supernatural means. Like many other investigators, James was prepared to rest his case solely on her startling abilities.

Blum tells her literally wondrous tale very well. But apart from the vague suggestion that it answered a need created by the encroachment of science on religious belief, she offers very little reflection on the question of why spiritualism suddenly became so popular.

And perhaps she tells her tale too even-handedly, since readers may be left with the impression that the Society for Psychical Research was on to something.

The book is peppered with narratives reporting ghost stories and seances. Blum writes that these are “derived from” documents, often from the society’s archives, although the telling of them is her own. But these narratives obscure the methods that mediums like Mrs. Piper used — methods that have been explained by debunkers
like Martin Gardner, who in 1992 published a long exposé called “How Mrs. Piper Bamboozled William James.” For example, Blum’s ghost narratives do not show, as Gardner did, how Mrs. Piper fished for information by gauging her sitters’ responses to all her wrong answers, or mined the information available from earlier sittings, from sittings with others and from things said while her sitters believed she was unconscious in a trance.

Despite the meticulous and often Herculean efforts of the society, more than a century of psychical research has added nothing to the stock of human knowledge. There is today no more reason to believe in spiritualism or telepathy than there was in the Victorian era, when the bearded men of science groveled earnestly at the feet of dubious mediums. Of course, parapsychology’s hosts of remaining enthusiasts will vehemently disagree. But, to avoid swamping the mail slots and in-boxes of the Book Review, readers should send messages about this by psychic means only, please.

Anthony Gottlieb is the author of “The Dream of Reason: A History of Philosophy From the Greeks to the Renaissance.” He is currently writing a book about the idea of nothingness.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/book ... tlieb.html
[bolding added.]

So, should gemli read the book recommended on SEN? As the proprietor states, "refusing to read about the subject seems to me a very poor way to develop an informed view on the matter."

Maybe we just disagree on what it takes to "develop an informed view."

Apparently an Interpreter editor does... Or does not. Can't quite tell.....
Allen Wyatt
7 days ago
I think that most people realize that there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. There is also an often unrecognized fine line between the two. Ignorance can be solved--give a person information, they will absorb it, and presto! No longer ignorant!

Stupidity is harder to solve because it involves a person unwilling of becoming informed or incapable of such. Most people are capable of becoming informed, which means that most stupidity is a choice to not become informed.

There are a myriad of reasons for someone to remain stupid. What I've never understood is the propensity of some to revel in their stupidity. Perhaps it is simply one more evidence of their condition. The vast majority of ignorant folks (myself included)...
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Re: Should one read Blum's book on psychic research?

Post by I Have Questions »

Ghost Hunters
At the close of the 19th century, the illustrious William James led an elite scientific investigation into ghosts, mediums, telepathy and “the borderlands” between our world and others. James and his colleagues staked their reputations and careers to prove the existence of psychic phenomena. This acclaimed and provocative book asks the reader a simple question: what if it’s real? “After reading Blum’s mesmerizing account,” declared Entertainment Weekly, “you might be tempted to dust off that Ouija board.”
https://deborahblum.com/books/

Peterson is advocating that people take Ouija boards seriously? Seriously?
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Here’s a conclusion in a review of the book…
What’s largely missing here is the author’s perspective. Blum seems content to relate rather than to analyze; her text lacks analysis. She ends with the patent observation that the conflict between science and the supernatural endures.

A useful but oddly uncritical summary.
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-revi ... t-hunters/

I guess that’s why Peterson likes it. Blum challenges nothing, investigates nothing, it's powder puff historical narration. Why should gemli waste their time reading weak sauce like that?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dan reads to look for cherry-picked stories that support his worldview. Then he regurgitates them on his blog.

Dan should read more to challenge his worldview. He calls Gemli dogmatic but Dan’s entire life is about supporting an unjustified belief in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The rise of spiritualism is a fascinating part of American history. It should be of interest to anyone interested in the origin of Mormonism, as Joseph Smith and the Fox sisters were practically neighbors. ;)

The struggles of science to address the claims of spiritualists sounds fascinating, and I may add the book to my own reading list. But arguing that Blum's book is somehow evidence that the spiritualist movement was based on actual supernatural events goes beyond what Blum's book is about. Because deception was inherent in the practices of spiritualist mediums, it took adding people trained in techniques of deception to the scientific investigation to puzzle out what was actually going on. The most well known of these was James Randi, a professional magician.

Training in the scientific method doesn't necessarily help one spot deliberate deception. Stage magic is based largely on deception, misdirection, and taking advantages of cognitive biases. Randi demonstrated over and over again how including proper controls to prevent cheating made the supernatural disappear.

One has only to ask, if the spiritualist phenomena that were unexplained during the existence of the Society for Physical Research were genuine supernatural events, where are all those phenomena today? Where are the levitating mediums? The spirit cabinets? The real mind readers? The seances?

As our ability to detect and prevent deception improved, the "unexplainable" mysteriously vanished. Conclusions?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:24 pm
As our ability to detect and prevent deception improved, the "unexplainable" mysteriously vanished. Conclusions?
Dispensationalism is a bitch?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:49 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:24 pm
Dispensationalism is a bitch?
LOL! I dunno. But testing with proper controls is a real bastard. :o
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I Have Questions wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:29 pm
Ghost Hunters
At the close of the 19th century, the illustrious William James led an elite scientific investigation into ghosts, mediums, telepathy and “the borderlands” between our world and others. James and his colleagues staked their reputations and careers to prove the existence of psychic phenomena. This acclaimed and provocative book asks the reader a simple question: what if it’s real? “After reading Blum’s mesmerizing account,” declared Entertainment Weekly, “you might be tempted to dust off that Ouija board.”

Well...... not by themselves, no, of course not. One also needs the support of seer stones and magical parchments and talismans to accomplish the goal. Perhaps also a dagger with sacred magical inscriptions on it could help when the Ouija board gets tired of doing all the work.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:32 am
I Have Questions wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:29 pm

Well...... not by themselves, no, of course not. One also needs the support of seer stones and magical parchments and talismans to accomplish the goal. Perhaps also a dagger with sacred magical inscriptions on it could help when the Ouija board gets tired of doing all the work.
My college buddy and I messed with an Ouija board by each stating a four digit number and asking it for the product thereof. It always supplied the wrong answer, but the energy was palpable. My cat spayed said board and my little car, that then began to vapor lock horribly. A year later I read Prophecy Key to the Future by Duane Crowther …
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

High Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:30 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:32 am

My college buddy and I messed with an Ouija board by each stating a four digit number and asking it for the product thereof. It always supplied the wrong answer, but the energy was palpable. My cat spayed said board and my little car, that then began to vapor lock horribly. A year later I read Prophecy Key to the Future by Duane Crowther …
Crowther was a fun read at times...