LDS Inc buys Kirtland Temple from Mormon rivals for $192 million

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

LDS Inc buys Kirtland Temple from Mormon rivals for $192 million

Post by drumdude »

Today, Tuesday, March 5, 2024, the responsibility and ownership for the Kirtland Temple, several historic buildings in Nauvoo, and various manuscripts and artifacts officially transferred from Community of Christ to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for an agreed-upon amount. Together, we share an interest in and reverence for these historic sites and items and are committed to preserving them for future generations.

Discussions leading to this landmark agreement commenced in June 2021. “This exchange of assets is significant for our church,” said Stephen M. Veazey, president of Community of Christ. “Through funding from increased endowments, Community of Christ will have greater capacity to pursue our mission priorities around the world, including continuing to fulfill the divinely envisioned purposes for our Temple in Independence, Missouri.”
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... sus-christ
Shulem
God

Re: LDS Inc buys Kirtland Temple from Mormon rivals for $192 million

Post by Shulem »

Wow, just wow. :shock:
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

"It will not be converted into a functioning Latter-day Saint temple."

????? Why then???? Are they going to just offer free tours? Maybe have one of those coin things where you pay a quarter to stick a penny in it and get a stamped out replica of the Temple?
Last edited by Markk on Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Such an astonishing lack of vision..... but hey, we gettin' PAID!!! You can buy anything in this world for money.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:16 am
Such an astonishing lack of vision..... but hey, we gettin' PAID!!! You can buy anything in this world for money.
Reverse engineering this, is the CoC saying good bye to Joseph?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Markk wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:57 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:16 am
Reverse engineering this, is the CoC saying good bye to Joseph?
Hard to say. Maybe it’s eyes on the prize. Winning converts takes money and that’s more important than owning real estate.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr. Sunstoned
Valiant A

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

To convert the Kirtland Temple into a modern functioning temple will require a major renovation. The original temple was built years before Joseph Smith was sufficiently versed in Masonic ritual to concoct his own version.
bobloblaw
Nursery

Post by bobloblaw »

I don’t think the plan will be to covert the Kirtland temple into a functioning temple for the modern endowment. The temple is a National Historic Landmark and likely will be preserved as is.
Rick Grunder
Sunbeam

Post by Rick Grunder »

Apostle Lach Mackay's short but powerful video clip posted today on Community of Christ's website may help us feel the dilemma they have faced in recent years, and their direction to lean forward. Or as prophet-president designate Stassi Cramm signs all her emails, "Onward!" . . .

https://s3.amazonaws.com/account-media/ ... 032024.mp4

Please watch this.

Rick
“I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity.”
― Cicero, De Oratore - Book III
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

bobloblaw wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:25 am
I don’t think the plan will be to covert the Kirtland temple into a functioning temple for the modern endowment. The temple is a National Historic Landmark and likely will be preserved as is.
Being on the register as a National Landmark does not necessarily mean it can't be used as a Temple, in fact I am almost certain it could. I just wonder if it was part of the sales agreement between the two parties? I have been in Historic preservation for almost three decades and have worked on several California Missions, most recently the San Gabriel Mission after a fire, and they hold services most everyday there and it is part of the LA diocese.

But you're correct that holding a service and converting are two different things. Once on the register the site is bound by the Secretary of Interior Guidelines for historic preservation. Which means that other than for fire, life, safety...it is almost impossible to change anything for adaptive reuse. But, it does not mean they cannot build a Temple for use, next to it on the same property or close by.