SEN indulges in gossip and innuendo

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Re: SEN indulges in gossip and innuendo

Post by I Have Questions »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:43 am
I’d say the rebuke Dan got in 2012 was a bit stronger.
Dan seems to miss the point that this man (Al Walters) was so in tune with the spirit, he was able to discern a message from God as clearly as if God was stood there speaking out loud to him. If only the Mopologists were so spiritually attuned. There's then the fact that God told Al that both sects were His legitimate Saints, now where does the implication of that sit in the narrow closed mind of LDS mopolgetics...
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I Have Questions wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:04 am
So the bloke they’re talking about is Al Walters.
Walters recalls being upset that leaders from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wanted to use his temple when they had ones of their own. He grew angry as the meeting progressed, becoming sick enough that he thought he was having a heart attack.

As Elder Yoshihiko Kikuchi stood to speak, Walters had a sacred experience (he would later call it a “spiritual spanking”) that demonstrated the cooperative spirit that has long existed between the two churches:

Al felt the spirit come over him. An audible voice that only he heard made three statements: ‘Alan, this is not your temple; this is mine. These are also my Saints. This is an acceptable use of this sacred space!”

Karl Ricks Anderson recounting the experience of Al Walters
https://www.fromthedesk.org/kirtland-temple/
That's a great story! There is a lot to be learned from Al Walters' experience.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I Have Questions wrote:
1993 sacrament meeting

M. Russell Ballard asked for—and received—permission to use the Kirtland Temple for a 1993 missionary training and sacrament meeting. It was a spiritual experience for everyone involved, including Al Walters, a Community of Christ representative who was initially opposed to the idea.

Walters recalls being upset that leaders from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wanted to use his temple when they had ones of their own. He grew angry as the meeting progressed, becoming sick enough that he thought he was having a heart attack.

As Elder Yoshihiko Kikuchi stood to speak, Walters had a sacred experience (he would later call it a “spiritual spanking”) that demonstrated the cooperative spirit that has long existed between the two churches:

Al felt the spirit come over him. An audible voice that only he heard made three statements: ‘Alan, this is not your temple; this is mine. These are also my Saints. This is an acceptable use of this sacred space!”

Karl Ricks Anderson recounting the experience of Al Walters

Given that the story has been in the public domain for many years, Peterson’s “oh my, I might be telling you something confidential” preamble is utterly fake. He also recounts the tale inaccurately. He was too lazy to spend ten minutes on google to check the story out before he put it in his blog.
Yes. DCP managed to change the entire tone of the story by leaving out two-thirds of what Walter's heard, especially this:

"These are also my Saints."

He then goes on to entirely disrespect that "also" in every part of his blog entry and comments. With friends like that, what lds church needs enemies?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:25 am
drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:06 am
Compelling stuff! :roll:

Someone told me in confidence (a very reliable source) that DCP regularly makes this stuff up. I can’t name his name but if you knew who it was you would totally believe me. I just can’t possibly name him.
Exactly. I heard that too, so that's TWO witnesses.
Ohmigosh, one more witness and we can start our own church here!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I Have Questions wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:30 am
drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:43 am
I’d say the rebuke Dan got in 2012 was a bit stronger.
Dan seems to miss the point that this man (Al Walters) was so in tune with the spirit, he was able to discern a message from God as clearly as if God was stood there speaking out loud to him. If only the Mopologists were so spiritually attuned. There's then the fact that God told Al that both sects were His legitimate Saints, now where does the implication of that sit in the narrow closed mind of LDS mopolgetics...
A legitimate point. And, of course..... (cue the mysterious music) the Mopes will ignore it with its implications.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:34 pm
I Have Questions wrote:

Given that the story has been in the public domain for many years, Peterson’s “oh my, I might be telling you something confidential” preamble is utterly fake. He also recounts the tale inaccurately. He was too lazy to spend ten minutes on google to check the story out before he put it in his blog.
Yes. DCP managed to change the entire tone of the story by leaving out two-thirds of what Walter's heard, especially this:

He then goes on to entirely disrespect that "also" in every part of his blog entry and comments. With friends like that, what LDS church needs enemies?
God this is so predictable.

“Over at the Obsession Board there has been a triumphant roar at the discovery of a similar Kirtland temple story. Yours truly, always the villain, is supposed to have left our crucial elements of the story which paint the rival Mormon sect in a positive light. Of course, since I don’t know who the story was about, I can’t confirm the source of the story. But none of my friends think I’m a bad guy, and I would never purposely make another religion look bad to make my own religion look better. And I always do my research and have never plagiarized anything in my life.”
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:47 pm
Marcus wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:34 pm

He then goes on to entirely disrespect that "also" in every part of his blog entry and comments. With friends like that, what LDS church needs enemies?

“Over at the Obsession Board there has been a triumphant roar at the discovery of a similar Kirtland temple story. Yours truly, always the villain, is supposed to have left our crucial elements of the story which paint the rival Mormon sect in a positive light. Of course, since I don’t know who the story was about, I can’t confirm the source of the story. But none of my friends think I’m a bad guy, and I would never purposely make another religion look bad to make my own religion look better. And I always do my research and have never plagiarized anything in my life.”
You called it, sort of.
DanielPeterson Mod mike 2 hours ago

mike: "Dan, I feel pretty confident in saying that the story you shared is true, or at least that is how I have heard it from certain people who were there that day."

Thanks. Since I posted it, I've been accused of inventing the story in order to insult the Community of Christ. Of course.

http://disq.us/p/2xzrh5i
DCP is doing his typical over exaggeration:

(DCP: "I've been accused of inventing the story...")

in order to avoid acknowledging what he actually did:

(your version: "Yours truly, always the villain, is supposed to have left our crucial elements of the story which paint the rival Mormon sect in a positive light.")
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:22 pm
drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:47 pm

You called it, sort of.
DanielPeterson Mod mike 2 hours ago

mike: "Dan, I feel pretty confident in saying that the story you shared is true, or at least that is how I have heard it from certain people who were there that day."

Thanks. Since I posted it, I've been accused of inventing the story in order to insult the Community of Christ. Of course.

http://disq.us/p/2xzrh5i
DCP is doing his typical over exaggeration:

(DCP: "I've been accused of inventing the story...")

in order to avoid acknowledging what he actually did:

(your version: "Yours truly, always the villain, is supposed to have left our crucial elements of the story which paint the rival Mormon sect in a positive light.")
It’s a pretty simple playbook. I’ve grown fairly bored of it, he could at least surprise us for once.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 pm
… he could at least surprise us for once.
With, like, an apology? A humble mea culpa? I might a heart a heart attack!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I don't recall anyone accusing DCP of inventing the story, so much as entirely missing the point as it zinged over his rather dull head. The RLDS have every bit as powerful of revelation from the Lord God Jesus, even the Christ directly as anyone in Mormonism from Nelson downward. AND the RLDS is CLAIMED by Christ in that revelation as "his saints" indirectly by saying those others (the LDS) are ALSO his saints. How on earth can Peterson miss the obvious implications?! Jesus even claims the apostate temple of the RLDS!!! Think on that...... he CLAIMS it IS His house! What am I missing here? The LDS and RLDS are BOTH accepted by Jesus, so why have the LDS been such buffoons and baboons against the Lord's chosen, the RLDS? And more to the point, why hasn't Jesus told the Mormon prophets to knock it off already since he has no differences between the LDS and RLDS? Again, what am I missing that Peterson sees as validation for the LDS only?!