SEN indulges in gossip and innuendo

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

SEN indulges in gossip and innuendo

Post by Marcus »

In a gossip driven post titled "a-clear-rebuke-in-the-house-of-the-lord-at-kirtland," the gossiper begins this way:
I hope that I don’t offend or violate any confidences with the little story that I’m about to tell. I wasn’t asked to keep it confidential, and I won’t share the crucial personal name — not least because, having never known it, I’m unable to share it. Moreover, I hope that I’m accurately recalling what happened as it was told to me. I think that it’s worthy of reflection in the light of the transfer of ownership of the Kirtland Temple (among other things)
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... tland.html
Sigh. Another "witness," right?
Last edited by Marcus on Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drumdude
God

Re: SEN indulges in gossip and innuendo

Post by drumdude »

Compelling stuff! :roll:

Someone told me in confidence (a very reliable source) that DCP regularly makes this stuff up. I can’t name his name but if you knew who it was you would totally believe me. I just can’t possibly name him.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:06 am

Someone told me in confidence (a very reliable source) that DCP regularly makes this stuff up. I can’t name his name but if you knew who it was you would totally believe me. I just can’t possibly name him.
Exactly. I heard that too, so that's TWO witnesses.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

The lds church reports a more humane, less self-aggrandizing version:
Elder Pinegar said a particularly touching moment came when Elder Ballard, in front of the congregation, embraced Lachlan MacKay, a direct descendant of Joseph Smith and director of the Kirtland Temple for the RLDS Church who attended the service. Thus, descendants of the Prophet and his brother, Hyrum, were united in the sacred temple setting.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/1993/12/4 ... nd-temple/
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:25 am
drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:06 am

Exactly. I heard that too, so that's TWO witnesses.
Evidence!

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

A version of that story was posted a few days ago on an LDS website. I don’t know whether the man in the story has ever shared his perspective. (I won’t mention his name here.)
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Sorry if I'm a little off topic here, but I found it striking that the spirit is able to rebuke his people for treating outsiders unkindly. The main blog contributor seems to think it was a solid and deserved rebuke. Funny, but I've never heard an apologist say that they were rebuked by the spirit for anything, such as treating another poorly in the heat of online battle.

It's just incredible to see the glee when the spirit takes someone on the other side of the fence to task for getting cross with a compatriot, and fully confident it would never be the other way around because they are always the victims and have never done anything wrong -- at least not wrong enough for the Spirit to lay down the law.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I’d say the rebuke Dan got in 2012 was a bit stronger.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:04 am
In a gossip driven post titled "a-clear-rebuke-in-the-house-of-the-lord-at-kirtland," the gossiper begins this way:
I hope that I don’t offend or violate any confidences with the little story that I’m about to tell. I wasn’t asked to keep it confidential, and I won’t share the crucial personal name — not least because, having never known it, I’m unable to share it. Moreover, I hope that I’m accurately recalling what happened as it was told to me. I think that it’s worthy of reflection in the light of the transfer of ownership of the Kirtland Temple (among other things)
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson?s=Reorganized+
Sigh. Another "witness," right?
He’s referring to the meeting that took place in 1993. Here’s a link to an article about it in the Church News: https://www.thechurchnews.com/1993/12/4 ... nd-temple/
Last edited by I Have Questions on Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

1993 sacrament meeting

M. Russell Ballard asked for—and received—permission to use the Kirtland Temple for a 1993 missionary training and sacrament meeting. It was a spiritual experience for everyone involved, including Al Walters, a Community of Christ representative who was initially opposed to the idea.
https://www.fromthedesk.org/kirtland-temple/

So the bloke they’re talking about is Al Walters.
Walters recalls being upset that leaders from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wanted to use his temple when they had ones of their own. He grew angry as the meeting progressed, becoming sick enough that he thought he was having a heart attack.

As Elder Yoshihiko Kikuchi stood to speak, Walters had a sacred experience (he would later call it a “spiritual spanking”) that demonstrated the cooperative spirit that has long existed between the two churches:

Al felt the spirit come over him. An audible voice that only he heard made three statements: ‘Alan, this is not your temple; this is mine. These are also my Saints. This is an acceptable use of this sacred space!”

Karl Ricks Anderson recounting the experience of Al Walters
https://www.fromthedesk.org/kirtland-temple/

Given that the story has been in the public domain for many years, Peterson’s “oh my, I might be telling you something confidential” preamble is utterly fake. He also recounts the tale inaccurately. He was too lazy to spend ten minutes on google to check the story out before he put it in his blog.