Archeological find from wrong place and time is evidence of Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Archeological find from wrong place and time is evidence of Book of Mormon

Post by I Have Questions »

At least according to Peterson…
Cody Quirk has kindly called to my notice an article about an interesting discovery in Central America: “Archaeologists in Panama find ancient tomb filled with gold treasure — and sacrificial victims.”
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... truth.html
Although the site and the golden artifacts that were found by the archaeologists date to a period that is a few centuries after the end of the narrative of the Book of Mormon, and although they were located in an area that, according to the Mesoamerican model that I find most persuasive, is outside the sphere of the Book of Mormon lands, they still strike me as worthy of attention. The “gold treasure,” of course, would find itself completely at home in the world described by the text that was written on the golden plates. But so, too, would the brutality of the human sacrifices that apparently occurred at the site.
It's ridiculous.
drumdude
God

Re: Archeological find from wrong place and time is evidence of Book of Mormon

Post by drumdude »

He loves to use phrases like “would find itself completely at home” and “feels ancient” when trying to make a bullseye out of a miss.

He’s not technically saying it’s evidence, but he’s implying to his Mormon readers that it’s faith promoting.

Dan’s writing will age well as a warning against the power of confirmation bias as more and more evidence stacks up against the historicity of the Book of Mormon.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I Have Questions wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:04 am
Cody Quirk has kindly called to my notice an article about an interesting discovery in Central America: “Archaeologists in Panama find ancient tomb filled with gold treasure — and sacrificial victims.”
Although the site and the golden artifacts that were found by the archaeologists date to a period that is a few centuries after the end of the narrative of the Book of Mormon, and although they were located in an area that, according to the Mesoamerican model that I find most persuasive, is outside the sphere of the Book of Mormon lands, they still strike me as worthy of attention. The “gold treasure,” of course, would find itself completely at home in the world described by the text that was written on the golden plates. But so, too, would the brutality of the human sacrifices that apparently occurred at the site.
It's ridiculous.
But it is faith promoting, which is its only limited value. And even then when its thought through the faith-promoting aspect of it crumbles. But never fear! Peterson is here! And therefore this little tissue of nothing is produceable as something in the general area (who cares if it's a few centuries too late, that's still close enough!) and therefore works well enough for the Holy Ghost to give your soul sacred whispers of verification. Shiver me timbers Aquaman, the testimony is fortified. This is Testimony ex Nihilo.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Inside the El Caño Archaeological Park grave, scientists discovered an array of gold treasures, including bracelets, two belts made with gold beads, crocodile-shaped earrings, gold-covered sperm whale teeth earrings, and circular gold plates. Archaeologists also unearthed earrings in the shape of a man and a woman, two bells, skirts made with dog teeth, and a set of bone flutes.
That skirts made with dog teeth from 800 AD, lets me know that Dr. Peterson is citing the best proof of the historicity of the Book of Mormon. We will see several articles about this in the Interpreter in the coming years.

Imagine the look on Gemli's face when confronted with this finding!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:15 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:04 am

It's ridiculous.
But it is faith promoting, which is it's only limited value. And even then when its thought through the faith-promoting aspect of it crumbles. But never fear! Peterson is here! And therefore this little tissue of nothing is produceable as something in the general area (who cares if it's a few centuries too late, that's still close enough!) and therefore works well enough for the Holy Ghost to give your soul sacred whispers of verification. Shiver me timbers Aquaman, the testimony is fortified. This is Testimony ex Nihilo.
Philo, I was going to comment that your complaint about two centuries late is odd as I could see no connection to the Book of Mormon no matter what century. What! Evidence that there were people living on these continents? Then I see you were just setting things up for your clever bon mot, testimony ex nihilo.

That is a memorable little bit.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Granted it’s a century late and on the wrong coast, but that creepy abandoned mental hospital I explored a couple years back would have felt right at home in Arkham, MA.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:15 am
Granted it’s a century late and on the wrong coast, but that creepy abandoned mental hospital I explored a couple years back would have felt right at home in Arkham, MA.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:55 pm
That skirts made with dog teeth from 800 AD, lets me know that Dr. Peterson is citing the best proof of the historicity of the Book of Mormon. We will see several articles about this in the Interpreter in the coming years.

Imagine the look on Gemli's face when confronted with this finding!
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
tapirrider
Sunbeam

Post by tapirrider »

The offical press release from Panama's cultural ministry:

https://micultura.gob.pa/descubren-impo ... o-el-cano/
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

tapirrider wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:21 pm
The offical press release from Panama's cultural ministry:

https://micultura.gob.pa/descubren-impo ... o-el-cano/
Mormons living in Panama will know to regard these artifacts as being Nephite in origin, as attested to by Dr. Daniel Peterson of the highly respected Interpreter to the Saints Foundation in Orem, Utah.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace