Temple Sealings of Dead People who Were Married More than Once

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Temple Sealings of Dead People who Were Married More than Once

Post by sock puppet »

Suppose Joe was first married to Jane, they divorced because Jane could not have children. Joe then married Jill, had three children and dies, never having been Mormon sealed to Jane or Jill. Does the LDS church do two sealings for dead Joe? One to Jane and then one to Jill so that Joe can have his choice for eternity, especially in the hereafter when Jane will be perfected and be able to make spirit babies with Joe? Mormons say these ordinances are done, but that Joe may choose to accept or reject them. Does the Mormon church make the decision that Joe's only sealing to a mate will be to Jill, when in fact Joe would prefer to be with Jane in the hereafter?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Re: Temple Sealings of Dead People that Were Married More than Once

Post by I Have Questions »

In principle, (according to the handbook) a man can be sealed to more than woman, so long as only one wife is living. (A woman cannot be sealed to more than one man, ever). So it stands to reason that a deceased man can be vicariously sealed to all the women he was married to in life, providing they weren’t sealed to someone else prior to their marriage, and provided they are also deceased.

In your scenario Joe can be sealed to both Jane and Jill and in the afterlife he won’t have to choose. He can keep both wives. just like Oaks, and Nelson, for example.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

I Have Questions wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:39 am
In principle, (according to the handbook) a man can be sealed to more than woman, so long as only one wife is living. (A woman cannot be sealed to more than one man, ever). So it stands to reason that a deceased man can be vicariously sealed to all the women he was married to in life, providing they weren’t sealed to someone else prior to their marriage, and provided they are also deceased.

In your scenario Joe can be sealed to both Jane and Jill and in the afterlife he won’t have to choose. He can keep both wives. just like Oaks, and Nelson, for example.
Yea, but I guess my question is, since the LDS think that these ceremonies must be carried out by those in mortality, does the LDS church do sealings for the dead for Joe both to Jane as well as to Jill, or just to one of them?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

sock puppet wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:26 pm
Yea, but I guess my question is, since the LDS think that these ceremonies must be carried out by those in mortality, does the LDS church do sealings for the dead for Joe both to Jane as well as to Jill, or just to one of them?
Both.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

sock puppet wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:26 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:39 am

I don't have any examples, and it's not explicit in LDS official materials, but there's nothing that excludes vicarious work for a deceased man to be sealed to all his mortal wives. So both.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Re: Temple Sealings of Dead People who Were Married More than Once

Post by sock puppet »

Suppose of Jane divorced Joe, Jane went on to marry James. Then Jane died, not sealed to either Joe or James. Does the LDS church in its temples seal Jane vicariously to both Joe and James so that she can pick in the hereafter?
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Now I have a question too...

If Jane and Joe were sealed in the temple in life but divorced in life and they both remarried, are they able to unseal and seal to new people?
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

sock puppet wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:12 pm
Suppose of Jane divorced Joe, Jane went on to marry James. Then Jane died, not sealed to either Joe or James. Does the LDS church in its temples seal Jane vicariously to both Joe and James so that she can pick in the hereafter?
As I understand it, no. She would be sealed to the person to whom she was most recently married. Not both.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:20 pm

If Jane and Joe were sealed in the temple in life but divorced in life and they both remarried, are they able to unseal and seal to new people?
Yes. But they have to get First Presidency approval to annul the original temple sealings.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

I Have Questions wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:44 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:20 pm

Yes. But they have to get First Presidency approval to annul the original temple sealings.
I wonder how she does that since she's already dead