Daniel McClellan Responds To The Apologists' Skin of Blackness Explanation

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Daniel McClellan Responds To The Apologists' Skin of Blackness Explanation

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Daniel McClellan doesn't seem too impressed with Jasmin Rappleye's Simple Explanations for the Skin of Blackness in the Book of Mormon. Even though his response is brief, he probably gave the argument all the time and attention it deserved.
Dan McClellan wrote:@maklelan
The theory the "skin of blackness" with which the Lamanites were cursed ("that they might not be enticing unto my people") was a reference to animals skins that they wore is . . . not a good theory.
https://Twitter.com/maklelan/status/1759978147603497250

Skin of blackness really meant animal skins?! Makes total sense to me:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Re: Daniel McClellan Responds To The Apologists' Skin of Blackness Explanation

Post by drumdude »

The best student Daniel Peterson ever had. So proud he came from the mopologists’ midst and has been schooling them ever since.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:06 pm
The best student Daniel Peterson ever had. So proud he came from the mopologists’ midst and has been schooling them ever since.
Mopologist Stephen Smoot took several classes from DCP while a student at BYU. Stephen must feel a sense of shame, jealousy and sadness every time DCP reminds us that Dan McClellan was his best student.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

How long does it take for loincloths to turn black? What kept the Nephites' loincloths from turning black?

Couldn't this whole issue be chalked up to another example of apologists being deceptive?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“DCP” wrote: Over at the Peterson Obsession Board, denigrating and mocking Stephen Smoot (presumably because he threatens their position) is a popular occasional pastime, as is, much less frequently, lionizing Dan McClellan (because they esteem him, whether correctly or not, as a potent weapon against Latter-day Saint apologetics and Latter-day Saint beliefs). Recently “Dumb-Dud” and my Mini-Stalker have teamed up there to use me in this game, and I think that I need to contradict their abuse of me (and of Brothers Smoot and McClellan) now, before it settles into the record as being true:

Supposedly, I have somewhere pronounced Dan McClellan the best student that I ever had. But Steve Smoot, they say, also took several classes from me while he was a student at BYU, and so, therefore, my identification of Dan McClellan as my all-time best student must surely fill Brother Smoot with shame and jealousy and sadness.

However, I don’t believe that Steve Smoot ever took a class from me at BYU. (He can correct me on that if I’m wrong.) And I have never said that Dan McClellan was the best student that I ever had at BYU. I’ve never even said that about anybody privately. Nor would I ever say it publicly — not least for the very reason that I wouldn’t want to cause other good students to feel relatively devalued. I’ve said, yes, that Dan was a very good student. But I haven’t crowned a “best student ever,” not even in my own mind. There are several past students who, if I ever cared to do so, would definitely be in the competition.
Careful readers will note I never said Dan claimed McClellan was his best student. I simply made the assertion all by myself, as Mr. Dud. :lol:

Dan is welcome to offer evidence to the contrary.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I was looking up a gemli comment and ended up seeing the SEN blog entry under discussion. My question is, how do readers of the SEN blog interpret blog entries like this?? I hadn't read this thread before seeing this SEN entry so I was thoroughly confused by it. After reading here I get it, and, as usual, the blogger has got it quite backwards.

Does he have so few regular readers that by now all of them know to come here for information to explain his nonsensical entries? Who exactly does he write for?

And last question, does he realize how much more traffic he is creating for this forum with his obsessive commenting on us?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:18 am
Careful readers will note I never said Dan claimed McClellan was his best student. I simply made the assertion all by myself, as Mr. Dud... :lol:

Mr. Dud does do right.

["images from the lost Dudley Doright pilot"
https://artofjayward.blogspot.com/2015/ ... right.html ]
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:29 pm
I was looking up a gemli comment and ended up seeing the SEN blog entry under discussion. My question is, how do readers of the SEN blog interpret blog entries like this?? I hadn't read this thread before seeing this SEN entry so I was thoroughly confused by it. After reading here I get it, and, as usual, the blogger has got it quite backwards.

Does he have so few regular readers that by now all of them know to come here for information to explain his nonsensical entries? Who exactly does he write for?

And last question, does he realize how much more traffic he is creating for this forum with his obsessive commenting on us?
They broke character recently and basically admitted that they do read this forum. There’s no other way they would understand Dan’s contextless and intentionally vague posts.

Like, who can keep up with all his euphemisms and nicknames, and inside jokes that he thinks are still funny after 1,000 times?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:43 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:29 pm

They broke character recently and basically admitted that they do read this forum. There’s no other way they would understand Dan’s contextless and intentionally vague posts.

Like, who can keep up with all his euphemisms and nicknames, and inside jokes that he thinks are still funny after 1,000 times?
Lol, got it, thank you. And I agree, his regulars have to tolerate a lot of repeats!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:36 pm
drumdude wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:18 am
Careful readers will note I never said Dan claimed McClellan was his best student. I simply made the assertion all by myself, as Mr. Dud... :lol:

Mr. Dud does do right.

["images from the lost Dudley Doright pilot"
https://artofjayward.blogspot.com/2015/ ... right.html ]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.