Who's who...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

Who are we?

TBM
No votes
Confused/questioning Mormon
5%
Mopologist (non believing)
No votes
Mopologist (believing)
No votes
Critic (questioning)
10%
Critic (anti / exmo)
15%
Critic (anti/ nevermo)
15%
Scholar
10%
Ex mo with no hard feelings
25%
Friend
20%

Total votes: 20

Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Who's who...

Post by Markk »

Ex-Mo, Evangelical, wood worker. Voted “friend.”
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Markk wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:44 am
Made another two polls for other options. Cool.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I can't fit myself into any category. That's not a criticism of the categories -- it's hard to make a set of categories that captures everyone. I'm a former Mormon. I definitely had hard feelings toward a specific individual after I left. He's been dead for years now, and his life after I left turned out much worse than mine. I think I let those hard feelings go quite a while ago. I don't consciously experience any hard feelings toward the organization or its members.

It's been so long since I left that I don't view the LDS church as being much different than any other organization. I criticize its harmful aspects and praise its beneficial ones. I enjoy talking about it because it was fundamental to my formative years.

ETA: After reading my own response, I voted Ex-mo, no hard feelings.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:20 pm
I would just say Mormon. I don't really invest in the concept of "believing" as in "affirming propositions that I cannot possibly prove." At the same time, I think we all live our lives doing things that are driven by our investment in narratives and assumptions that we don't feel the need to defend. Some of the most important values we live and die for are beyond the reach of the microscope, the telescope, and the laboratory.
Formerly a Mormon, but I see no need for a label, as that's not how I define myself. Lover and a Fighter, maybe.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:19 pm
I can't fit myself into any category. That's not a criticism of the categories -- it's hard to make a set of categories that captures everyone. I'm a former Mormon. I definitely had hard feelings toward a specific individual after I left. He's been dead for years now, and his life after I left turned out much worse than mine. I think I let those hard feelings go quite a while ago. I don't consciously experience any hard feelings toward the organization or its members.

It's been so long since I left that I don't view the LDS church as being much different than any other organization. I criticize its harmful aspects and praise its beneficial ones. I enjoy talking about it because it was fundamental to my formative years.

ETA: After reading my own response, I voted Ex-mo, no hard feelings.
That's ok. I struggled to label the poll.

There are people in the church that I still consider friends although I don't arrange to meet with them. If I didn't worry about what my kids believe I'd actually probably still go because I know I'd not be convinced.

I get that, it's a part of us.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

toon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:12 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:20 pm
I would just say Mormon. I don't really invest in the concept of "believing" as in "affirming propositions that I cannot possibly prove." At the same time, I think we all live our lives doing things that are driven by our investment in narratives and assumptions that we don't feel the need to defend. Some of the most important values we live and die for are beyond the reach of the microscope, the telescope, and the laboratory.
Formerly a Mormon, but I see no need for a label, as that's not how I define myself. Lover and a Fighter, maybe.
<3
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:27 am
Markk wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:44 am
Made another two polls for other options. Cool.
Added Critic and Friend to Confused because that’s most everyone, whether they realize it or not. Never thought I’d have strongly held beliefs, but by witnessing a few miracles I sure do.