Who's who...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

Who are we?

TBM
No votes
Confused/questioning Mormon
5%
Mopologist (non believing)
No votes
Mopologist (believing)
No votes
Critic (questioning)
10%
Critic (anti / exmo)
15%
Critic (anti/ nevermo)
15%
Scholar
10%
Ex mo with no hard feelings
25%
Friend
20%

Total votes: 20

Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Who's who...

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

So I’m feeling lazy. Having trouble working out who stands where. And what all that means... So a poll... Probably done before... And I'll probably miss things... And a bit gross...

And a second post because I can only add 10 poll options.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Who's who...

Post by Kishkumen »

I would just say Mormon. I don't really invest in the concept of "believing" as in "affirming propositions that I cannot possibly prove." At the same time, I think we all live our lives doing things that are driven by our investment in narratives and assumptions that we don't feel the need to defend. Some of the most important values we live and die for are beyond the reach of the microscope, the telescope, and the laboratory.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Temple Recommend holder, 100% tithe payer and doubter/cultural Mormon.

And, it makes some people angry. :ugeek:
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Too little distinguishing of types of Mormons. Liberal-Thinking Mormons, Battle-hardened Ninja FARMS Mormons, Trump-Anti-Vax Mormons.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Moksha wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:55 pm
Too little distinguishing of types of Mormons. Liberal-Thinking Mormons, Battle-hardened Ninja FARMS Mormons, Trump-Anti-Vax Mormons.
Only had 10 poll options.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:25 pm
Temple Recommend holder, 100% tithe payer and doubter/cultural Mormon.

And, it makes some people angry. :ugeek:
How do you find being on this forum with your position? Does it affect your beliefs?

Is that 100% of 10%? Or are you participating in consecration?

When I was an active/doubter it was considered a negative thing that I was on the internet reading and talking about all this stuff? Been called into the bishops office multiple times in the past about it.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:20 pm
I would just say Mormon. I don't really invest in the concept of "believing" as in "affirming propositions that I cannot possibly prove." At the same time, I think we all live our lives doing things that are driven by our investment in narratives and assumptions that we don't feel the need to defend. Some of the most important values we live and die for are beyond the reach of the microscope, the telescope, and the laboratory.
True, I get the last sentence. Fair enough.

Gotta go.. kids are playing musical beds.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:27 pm
How do you find being on this forum with your position? Does it affect your beliefs?

When I was an active/doubter it was considered a negative thing that I was on the internet reading and talking about all this stuff? Been called into the bishops office multiple times in the past about it.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm a 10% full tithe payer (for the sake of family relations). I also attend the temple at least twice a month (again for the sake of family relations).

I've been a pretty hardcore Agnostic for many years, so being on this forum hasn't really been an issue for me. Being an Agnostic certainly hasn't kept me from getting a recommend or holding some pretty high level callings. Honestly, the most important thing the Church values is if you are paying tithing. Paying tithing is a sure sign that you are on the right track. :shock:
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:50 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:27 pm

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm a 10% full tithe payer (for the sake of family relations). I also attend the temple at least twice a month (again for the sake of family relations).

I've been a pretty hardcore Agnostic for many years, so being on this forum hasn't really been an issue for me. Being an Agnostic certainly hasn't kept me from getting a recommend or holding some pretty high level callings. Honestly, the most important thing the Church values is if you are paying tithing. Paying tithing is a sure sign that you are on the right track. :shock:
Do they know you are agnostic?

This is interesting. Sorry not trying to be invasive. I'm intrigued.

When I was pretty close to being TBM, I didn't find issue with this board probably because I was raised to believe there were a multitude of possibilities that could co exist and contradict so, I am comfortable with the idea of different religions being ok. I took church to be like a buffet which they didn't seem to like. I think perspective has shifted. I noticed last time I was there that there was no Joseph Smith talk. Jesus was the focus which was unexpected. Someone was encouraging me to come back. Think he probably knew there was no point trying to convince me that the church was true.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:50 pm
I'm a 10% full tithe payer (for the sake of family relations). I also attend the temple at least twice a month (again for the sake of family relations).
That was a nightmare I'm so glad I escaped from.