BYP LIVE! William E. McClellan Eyewitness to Joseph Smith's Apostasy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

BYP LIVE! William E. McClellan Eyewitness to Joseph Smith's Apostasy

Post by Philo Sofee »

Tonight, Sunday 6 p.m. March 17, BYP LIVE Talking of an early eyewitness to Mormonism who has been censored, William E. McClellan. Good evidences, and a great show coming up! Looking forward to having you there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPNFHisuVHE
Philo Sofee
God

Re: BYP LIVE! William E. McClellan Eyewitness to Joseph Smith's Apostasy

Post by Philo Sofee »

Thanks to those who attended and enjoyed the information. This is one subject that just opened my eyes on so much, especially the D. Michael Quinn analysis! Good times!
Madison54
Nursery

Post by Madison54 »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:31 pm
Thanks to those who attended and enjoyed the information. This is one subject that just opened my eyes on so much, especially the D. Michael Quinn analysis! Good times!
I'm watching it now and it's excellent!

I only have one quibble so far (and maybe I misunderstood what you meant)....but, I thought I heard you state that the saints didn't do anything to deserve being driven out of Missouri?
I agree that many of the members were innocent, but some of them (including the leaders) commited attrocities against the people already living in Missouri. There were good reasons why these people rose up and drove the Mormons out and there were horrible actions done by both sides.

The good members absolutely did not deserve what their leaders brought down on their heads though.

Any comments or clarification? Again, I may have misunderstood :)
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Great Job Professor, your preparation very very much confirms what Taylor Drake told an evangelist during his interview: Link.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Madison54 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:56 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:31 pm
I'm watching it now and it's excellent!

I only have one quibble so far (and maybe I misunderstood what you meant)....but, I thought I heard you state that the saints didn't do anything to deserve being driven out of Missouri?
I agree that many of the members were innocent, but some of them (including the leaders) commited attrocities against the people already living in Missouri. There were good reasons why these people rose up and drove the Mormons out and there were horrible actions done by both sides.

The good members absolutely did not deserve what their leaders brought down on their heads though.

Any comments or clarification? Again, I may have misunderstood :)
I might not have been as clear as I could have, I was on a roll ya know.... :lol: Yes, I tried to show there were atrocities on BOTH sides, and the Mormons were not the innocent victims the church has made them out to be. Sure there are always innocents involved in the cross fire, no doubt. But Mormons also went on the war path, and, unfortunately for them, they got absolutely trounced. This is the war mongering spirit McClellan lamented seeing, which began with Joseph Smith.
Madison54
Nursery

Post by Madison54 »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 pm
I might not have been as clear as I could have, I was on a roll ya know.... :lol: Yes, I tried to show there were atrocities on BOTH sides, and the Mormons were not the innocent victims the church has made them out to be. Sure there are always innocents involved in the cross fire, no doubt. But Mormons also went on the war path, and, unfortunately for them, they got absolutely trounced. This is the war mongering spirit McClellan lamented seeing, which began with Joseph Smith.
Thank you for the response! I agree 100%.

I finished watching your video and you did a great job of covering a fascinating man and topic. McClellan is one who's been on my radar for a long time and is an important figure in Mormon history.
Thanks again :)