I Can't Eye-Roll Hard Enough Over DCP's Latest

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: I Can't Eye-Roll Hard Enough Over DCP's Latest

Post by Gadianton »

As Dan points out, "overwhelmingly, to be spread via homosexual sex", which meant Buckley and any other libertarian, Christian-value nut-job out there had zero investment in the well-being of homosexuals. Why not just let them destroy themselves? Consequences for sin. This is how Christians think. And so to specifically hone in on this issue and bully for this outrageous beaconing system can only mean he wished to publicly shame the victims of the disease.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Does Dr. Peterson think that it was okay to put tattoos on Jews during the Holocaust? You know: since they were a “threat” to the 3rd Reich?

Or, consider this: who was a bigger “threat”: the Jews to the Nazis, or gay men to heterosexual dudes like DCP or Buckley during the 1980s? Bear in mind that the Nazis genuinely seemed to think that Jews posed a very real threat to their existence….
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:40 pm
Add on this.
DCP, posting on Tuesday, March 19th wrote: This week is “Holy Week,” about which I wrote this column a while back. (I have fairly strong feelings about Holy Week.)
except... it's not.
Holy Week is the sixth and last week of Lent, beginning with Palm Sunday [which falls on March 24th this year] and concluding on Holy Saturday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Week
:roll:

This is what happens when Mormons start pretending they are Christians, following Christian beliefs. With "fairly strong feelings" about Holy Week, you'd think he would at least get the dates right.
ETA: And since DCP reads obsessively here, he has inserted this at the beginning of his post:
DCP wrote: [Ooops. This week isn’t Holy Week! For some reason, I keep thinking that Easter is this coming weekend. But it’s not. Does anything like that ever happen to you? My apologies.]
No, that doesn't happen to people who actually commemorate Holy Week, only to imposters who are pretending they have "fairly strong feelings" about Holy Week. Especially imposters who post on Tuesday about a week where Palm Sunday would have already happened, two days earlier. DCP is such an obvious fraud.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I forgot if I had my second anointing or just my first. You know how it is, forgetting something so very important to you with such fairly strong feelings! :lol:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:09 am
No, that doesn't happen to people who actually commemorate Holy Week, only to imposters who are pretending they have "fairly strong feelings" about Holy Week. Especially imposters who post on Tuesday about a week where Palm Sunday would have already happened, two days earlier. DCP is such an obvious fraud.
Dan could recite the dates for the April General Conference, Easter, Pioneer Day, October General Conference, Joseph Smith's Birthday, and Christmas. Items from the common liturgical calendar are unfamiliar to him.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I confess to having lost track of exactly when Easter is this year myself. In the past year we have changed to a non-liturgical church, so we have missed the steady weekly countdown through Lent. I also decided not to give up beer for Lent this year, because it was going to come awfully soon after Dry January and I decided that if I was going to have two dry months in the year it would make more sense for them to be more evenly spaced. Having to wait until Easter for beer did keep the date clear in my mind.

Easter moves around each year, rather than being on a fixed calendar date like Christmas, because it's linked to Passover, and Passover is a date in the Jewish lunar calendar. Exactly when Easter will be each year thus depends on the movements of the Moon, which don't line up exactly with the length of Earth's year. There's a pretty good approximate cycle of 76 years, over which the lunar and solar calendars repeat their relationships, and the major Christian churches have just adopted different versions of this cycle as their official patterns, even though it's not quite exact as a description of the Moon's actual motion. The Moon is affected by the Sun as well as by the Earth, and the distance between the Earth and the Sun varies slightly over the year, so the Moon feels this slowly changing gravitational field and its exact motion isn't simple. Proposals to unify Easter by basing it directly on the actual motion of the Moon have been made but not so far adopted.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

You know how Thanksgiving is the last Thursday of November? Holy Week is the last week of Lent. I believe DCP has occasionally hinted or alluded to the notion he low-key observes Lent. If he does, as he has said he does, knowing Holy Week wouldn’t be an issue. This is the problem with being a lying plagiarist of a fraud; you can’t keep your ducks in a row.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Easter is March 31st. Passover is later due to the Jewish leap year. it will begin before sundown on Monday, April 22, 2024, and ends after nightfall on April 30, 2024. Mazel tov, Dr. Peterson. Götterdämmerung, a snifter of orange soda, and a hearty pastrami sandwich with some potato knishes would be an excellent LDS way to mark that event.
Last edited by Moksha on Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

For some reason, this post reminds me of Father's Day. Because dad jokes are how eye roll.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:30 pm
For some reason, this post reminds me of Father's Day. Because dad jokes are how eye roll.
You rapscallion. :lol:

I have some pretty strong feelings about Father's Day. I look forward to celebrating it this weekend.