I Can't Eye-Roll Hard Enough Over DCP's Latest

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

I Can't Eye-Roll Hard Enough Over DCP's Latest

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Folks, you just can't make this stuff up.

Over at a largely plagiarized blog, the proprietor who is a paragon of good health/moderation and shining example of the benefits of obeying the WoW, is now poking fun at people who drink coffee and alcohol.
The Proprietor wrote:rws: "Only after I first began sipping coffee and red wine and throwing off my sexual repression did my ex-LDS therapist help me see the truth."

Repression of one's natural appetites is perhaps the only real sin in existence. Alcohol and coffee, though, are essential to clear thinking.

A realistic portrayal of DCP being outraged at people not obeying the WoW:

Scientific benefits of coffee showing coffee may lower the risk of type 2 diabetes and depression, mental health, support weight management, and help you live a longer life: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/to ... -of-coffee
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Re: I Can't Eye-Roll Hard Enough Over DCP's Latest

Post by Marcus »

Add on this.
DCP, posting on Tuesday, March 19th wrote: This week is “Holy Week,” about which I wrote this column a while back. (I have fairly strong feelings about Holy Week.)
except... it's not.
Holy Week is the sixth and last week of Lent, beginning with Palm Sunday [which falls on March 24th this year] and concluding on Holy Saturday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Week
:roll:

This is what happens when Mormons start pretending they are Christians, following Christian beliefs. With "fairly strong feelings" about Holy Week, you'd think he would at least get the dates right.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:40 pm
Add on this.
DCP, posting on Tuesday, March 19th wrote: This week is “Holy Week,” about which I wrote this column a while back. (I have fairly strong feelings about Holy Week.)
except... it's not.
Holy Week is the sixth and last week of Lent, beginning with Palm Sunday [which falls on March 24th this year] and concluding on Holy Saturday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Week

This is what happens when Mormons start pretending they are Christians, following Christian beliefs. With "fairly strong feelings" about Holy Week, you'd think he would at least get the dates right.
Nice find!

It really is disturbing that DCP holds so many religions and beliefs in utter contempt. It's even more disturbing that DCP is largely ignorant of other religious beliefs, culture and history.

It reminds me of Louis C. Midgley's ignorant comment about Hinduism and how they all worship monkeys.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:55 pm
Marcus wrote:
Add on this.

except... it's not.

Nice find!

It really is disturbing that DCP holds so many religions and beliefs in utter contempt. It's even more disturbing that DCP is largely ignorant of other religious beliefs, culture and history.

It reminds me of Louis C. Midgley's ignorant comment about Hinduism and how they all worship monkeys.
Thanks. The fact that DCP actually wrote that he has "fairly strong feelings about Holy Week," while getting the week wrong, says it all.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

His DN article was, naturally, plagiarized from this wiki article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Vigil

And probably:

https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/essays- ... -evolution (note the reference to Egeria)

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Marcus wrote:
The good doctor knows that Palm Sunday means waffles at the Peterson household.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:01 am
Marcus wrote:
The good doctor knows that Palm Sunday means waffles at the Peterson household.
?
what he doesn't know is when Holy Week starts.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:15 pm
His DN article was, naturally, plagiarized from this wiki article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Vigil

And probably:

https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/essays- ... -evolution (note the reference to Egeria)

- Doc
Doc, it's interesting to note that although he says "... I wrote this column a while back..." it is actually a column co-authored with Hamblin, but DCP neglects to note that. If I recall correctly, Hamblin's ex-wife holds Hamblin's rights to those joint columns. Plagiarizing a column, and THEN plagiarizing it again from one's own co-author is pretty low.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Definitely some interesting things unfolding over at SeN. The poster called “axelbeingcivil” has dredged up an absolutely reprehensible position taken by one of DCP’s idols during the height of the AIDS epidemic. I.e., that every HIV-positive person should have to be tattooed in order to announce their infected status! Basically, a state-mandated “scarlet letter”! How, I wonder, is this in keeping with Libertarian ideals? But DCP’s further comments are really grotesque:
However, I'll take the bait: Buckley's argument for such tattooing came at a time when HIV seemed to be unstoppable and, overwhelmingly, to be spread via homosexual sex. You can certainly disagree with it, but to describe it as the "branding" of people he despised is a reprehensible caricature. He wanted people who might be about to engage in sex with an HIV-positive person to be able to find that out before they destroyed their health and possibly condemned themselves to death, and he wasn't entirely confident that each and every AIDS carrier would always be willing to share a "Yes, I do have AIDS" card with a potential conquest, or always to answer "Yes" when politely asked about it. An indelible ink tattoo would take self-serving dishonesty out of a potentially lethal equation.
“Self-serving dishonesty”? What, like failing to tell potential converts that Joseph Smith was married to a 14-year-old girl? Or that their 10% donation for life will go into a “rainy day” fund that has been used to skirt tax laws? Does he think that Mormons should be tattooed, so that they can more easily be avoided?

This is one of the more candid and honest posts I’ve seen from Dr. Peterson and I think it genuinely reflects his thinking and who he is. Which is to say: he’s a dyed-in-the-wool fascist who would love to destroy his enemies, take away their rights, and make them suffer in a very public way.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

You can certainly disagree with it, but to describe it as the "branding" of people he despised is a reprehensible caricature
That's exactly what it is, branding people he despised, and anyone arguing otherwise knows they are lying.

How ridiculous and dishonorable to defend the trash-heap of a human being that argued for such a dumb law.

Would Dan have his unvaccinated right-wing loser friends also get branded so people know to avoid them? You know, the kind of public health threats who largely make up for his commenters.

Doctor Scratch correctly points out that if big government needs to protect everyone with risk disclosures, it should be required of anyone who plans to get baptized into the Mormon church that they read a lengthy disclosure regarding it's legacy of fraud and deceit.