I Can't Eye-Roll Hard Enough Over DCP's Latest

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Re: I Can't Eye-Roll Hard Enough Over DCP's Latest

Post by Rivendale »

We do have the tattooed Mormon Al Caraway. Such a good idea. A tattoo for every uninformed item that missionaries and leaders leave out of lessons or talks. Items that create havoc later in life. Things like a tenuous or absent retirement savings. Things like the Ghosts of eternal polygamy. Uninformed consent items that aren't freely shared during missionary discussions and in some cases lead to loss of life for marginalized groups. Yes a mark of warning or Mormon brand seems to fit in this epistemological world view.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:44 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:30 pm
For some reason, this post reminds me of Father's Day. Because dad jokes are how eye roll.
You rapscallion. :lol:

I have some pretty strong feelings about Father's Day. I look forward to celebrating it this weekend.
LOL!!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:28 pm
Easter is March 31st. Passover is later due to the Jewish leap year. it will begin before sundown on Monday, April 22, 2024, and ends after nightfall on April 30, 2024. Mazel tov, Dr. Peterson. Götterdämmerung, a snifter of orange soda, and a hearty pastrami sandwich with some potato knishes would be an excellent LDS way to mark that event.
Dr. Peterson would be pleased to know that all foods are permitted on the Feast of the Holy Theophany. That means fry sauce can be spooned over both the funeral potatoes and the Jell-O.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Moksha wrote:
Götterdämmerung, a snifter of orange soda, and a hearty pastrami sandwich
Am I right that the soda and sandwich are to be consumed while listening to Wagner, or is Götterdämmerung a Mormon delicacy like funeral potatoes and lime jello?

(I may just be confused by the fact that the possibly ironical German word for jello is Götterspeise ("food of the gods"), and I'm wondering whether Mormons might like jello so much that they have exotic names for different varieties.)
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Physics Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:57 pm
Moksha wrote:
Götterdämmerung, a snifter of orange soda, and a hearty pastrami sandwich
Am I right that the soda and sandwich are to be consumed while listening to Wagner, or is Götterdämmerung a Mormon delicacy like funeral potatoes and lime jello?

(I may just be confused by the fact that the possibly ironical German word for jello is Götterspeise ("food of the gods"), and I'm wondering whether Mormons might like jello so much that they have exotic names for different varieties.)
i once had fry sauce with Wagner and was sick for three days.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Yeah, Wagner is long.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Apropos of the pretense that the lds religion observed Holy Week, here is an article in the Des News:
"How the Church of Jesus Christ’s history with Holy Week has changed in recent years"

The terms “Easter,” “Palm Sunday” and “Holy Week” were not commonly used among early Latter-day Saints. Palm Sunday and Holy Week remained uncommon terms until, well, now.

Published: March 22, 2024, 8:58 p.m. MDT
By Tad Walsch
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2024/03/2 ... holy-week/
The comments are spot on...
Being a peculiar people can only get you so far. So I don’t blame anyone for giving rebranding a try. Next up, maybe have some focus groups see how people feel about crucifixes?
-----
"Why not mention the guy in 1830’s New York? He still has a tiny band of followers."

Hmm... only 6 members in 1830. At the end of 2022, the LDS Church had... a reported membership of 17,002,461 members.

Do you ever get your facts straight... or do you just prefer that everyone think your the local DN village imbecile?
----

It seems god never gets things right straight out of the gate.
-----

For being the "restored" church, they seem to have been making a LOT of changes lately. Apparently, the restoration wasn't right and needs to be remodeled yet again.
----

But that [holy week] tradition was part of what Mormons have always declared to be "Apostate Chrustianity!"
----

I was told my entire life that Palm Sunday was not a holiday that LDS recognized. It was a Catholic tradition. All of a sudden it’s changed.
----
And a few more serious ones:
Actions make the world think you’re Christian, not how you decide how to celebrate Holy Week.
----

Instead of "revelation", Mormon Church leaders are merely Business Men (emphasis on men), using the vast wealth gained from their fraudulent religious scheme to purchase the social scientists, data analysts, legal experts, marketing and public relations professionals, and academic scholars necessary to learn that current members and prospective members, converts perceive a huge ceremonial emptiness for Easter, especially when contrasted against other Christian traditions...
----
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

While those so-called "Christian" churches may choose to have those celebrations, the True Church recognizes Pioneer Day and Joseph Smith's Birthday.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:40 pm
Add on this.
DCP, posting on Tuesday, March 19th wrote: This week is “Holy Week,” about which I wrote this column a while back. (I have fairly strong feelings about Holy Week.)
except... it's not.
Holy Week is the sixth and last week of Lent, beginning with Palm Sunday [which falls on March 24th this year] and concluding on Holy Saturday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Week
:roll:

This is what happens when Mormons start pretending they are Christians, following Christian beliefs. With "fairly strong feelings" about Holy Week, you'd think he would at least get the dates right.
“DP” wrote: I’m really wrestling with the question of whether certain of my anonymous online critics are genuinely dim or whether their passionate personal malice toward me has just left them either temporarily or permanently deranged. Whatever the reason, time after time after time they can’t seem to follow an argument or grasp a position or understand simple English. And then, egging each other on to ever great heights of absurdity, they beat me up for days on end over views that I don’t hold and over claims that I’ve never made. It’s weird. In fact, it’s oddly reminiscent of the mirrors in a carnival fun house.
Since Dan didn’t make any specific claim I can only assume he’s upset that we pointed out he was objectively incorrect.

I guess that’s misunderstanding English, or something. lol.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:43 am
Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:40 pm
Add on this.

except... it's not.

:roll:

This is what happens when Mormons start pretending they are Christians, following Christian beliefs. With "fairly strong feelings" about Holy Week, you'd think he would at least get the dates right.
“DP” wrote: I’m really wrestling with the question of whether certain of my anonymous online critics are genuinely dim or whether their passionate personal malice toward me has just left them either temporarily or permanently deranged. Whatever the reason, time after time after time they can’t seem to follow an argument or grasp a position or understand simple English. And then, egging each other on to ever great heights of absurdity, they beat me up for days on end over views that I don’t hold and over claims that I’ve never made. It’s weird. In fact, it’s oddly reminiscent of the mirrors in a carnival fun house.
Since Dan didn’t make any specific claim I can only assume he’s upset that we pointed out he was objectively incorrect.

I guess that’s misunderstanding English, or something. lol.
Lol. Is he still upset people noticed his massive gaffe?? I mean seriously, posting on a Tuesday that this is Holy Week when it's not is not exactly a minor error. His statement above is just a feeble failure to deflect.
Daniel C. Peterson wrote:...This week commemorates the most important week in the history of the world...
All the more reason to get the dates right, son.