I Can't Eye-Roll Hard Enough Over DCP's Latest

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: I Can't Eye-Roll Hard Enough Over DCP's Latest

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:43 am
Dr. Peterson wrote:... they beat me up for days on end over views that I don’t hold and over claims that I’ve never made. It’s weird. In fact, it’s oddly reminiscent of the mirrors in a carnival fun house.
Since Dan didn’t make any specific claim I can only assume he’s upset that we pointed out he was objectively incorrect.

I guess that’s misunderstanding English, or something. lol.
Feelings will ameliorate if Dr. Peterson has that pastrami sandwich and listens to Götterdämmerung as part of the LDS commemoration of Passover.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Latter-day Saints conduct Easter Sunday services but do not follow the religious observances of Ash Wednesday, Lent, or Holy Week. Latter-day Saint Easter services traditionally review New Testament and Book of Mormon accounts of Christ’s crucifixion, His Resurrection, and surrounding events.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... ang=eng#p3

It’s interesting to me that “precept upon precept” actually means becoming more and more like other faiths. Now it’s adopting Holy Week, whereas previously it was explicitly detailed as something Latter-day Saints did not observe. Mind you, the Church has borrowed from other faiths since the very beginning. It’s increasingly a just a patchwork of other religion’s ideas and observances.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Why have Latter-day Saints, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, not historically celebrated “Holy Week”?

For one thing, Easter simply hasn’t received as much emphasis in American and Western culture as Christmas has. Sometimes, in my experience, Easter has passed with scarcely a mention, and particularly so if Easter bunnies and Easter eggs are set aside. On the other hand, mentions of Christmas now seem to proliferate in television ads and department store windows even before Halloween. I guess that Easter simply hasn’t been as successfully commercialized as “Xmas” has.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... -this.html
So....Mormons historically didn't 'celebrate' Holy Week because....it wasn't "successfully commercialized" enough? The Catholics would be surprised (if not disgusted) to hear that rationale from a member of a church that insists on being called by its full name, which includes the name of Jesus Christ.

Peterson really needs to move on from his gaffe of posting that it was Holy Week when it wasn't, and stop talking about this.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think Dr. Peterson is right about Holy Week being alien to the Mormon Experience.

We have evolved into a culture of Vallow, Daybell, Franke, and Hildebrandt, and not Palm Sunday and Good Friday. We are the Church at war with the LGBTQ community and not some medieval hippies walking in the shoes of some fisherman. Our leaders wear Brooks Brothers suits and not some clerical collars. We know Wall Street and not some ivy-covered seminaries. We invoke the Oxford University Press and not the Via Dolorosa.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:27 pm
Why have Latter-day Saints, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, not historically celebrated “Holy Week”?

For one thing, Easter simply hasn’t received as much emphasis in American and Western culture as Christmas has. Sometimes, in my experience, Easter has passed with scarcely a mention, and particularly so if Easter bunnies and Easter eggs are set aside. On the other hand, mentions of Christmas now seem to proliferate in television ads and department store windows even before Halloween. I guess that Easter simply hasn’t been as successfully commercialized as “Xmas” has.
So....Mormons historically didn't 'celebrate' Holy Week because....it wasn't "successfully commercialized" enough? The Catholics would be surprised (if not disgusted) to hear that rationale from a member of a church that insists on being called by its full name, which includes the name of Jesus Christ.

Peterson really needs to move on from his gaffe of posting that it was Holy Week when it wasn't, and stop talking about this.
Will Peterson be buying his grandchildren Easter eggs or not?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I Have Questions wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:32 pm
Marcus wrote:

If I recall correctly, he did say he was confused about when Holy Week started because of the seasonal decorations that were in his home. Maybe there is something to this commercialization idea. :roll:
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:46 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:32 pm
If I recall correctly, he did say he was confused about when Holy Week started because of the seasonal decorations that were in his home. Maybe there is something to this commercialization idea. :roll:
Surely his household should exemplify Holy Week, not the trappings of commercialization?

For instance, is he doing some extra fasting? Or going on a special pilgrimage? Maybe signing up for a senior mission would be appropriate, given he’s so taken by Holy Week…
Last edited by I Have Questions on Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Stop the persecution
Trump "“It’s ironic that Christ walked through His greatest persecution the very week they are trying to steal your property from you,” the message reads, suggesting that Trump’s $468 million fine for decades of financial fraud is on par with the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ." Huffington Post.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Marcus wrote:

Fallowing the above link I find a bit of clarification from Mr Peterson.
Among Latter-day Saints in particular, though, I think that the primary reason for the absence of Holy Week may be as simple as this: The large majority of our early members and early leaders, not only in America and Canada but in Great Britain and Scandinavia and elsewhere, came from backgrounds in low-church Protestantism. They did not, by and large, come out of the liturgical traditions that most celebrated Holy Week.
So early Mormons did not know how to celebrate Holy Week. I find myself with sympathy as I have always found it difficult to figure out how to celebrate Easter. How do you celebrate a cruel execution? Reading the Gospels I find people encountering the resurrection with confusion fear and uncertainty. I can see commemoration in a time of meditation on the meaning and path illuminated by Jesus life and death and resurrection. I find crowds fancy hats and celebration confusing.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:40 pm
Marcus wrote:

Fallowing the above link I find a bit of clarification from Mr Peterson.
Among Latter-day Saints in particular, though, I think that the primary reason for the absence of Holy Week may be as simple as this: The large majority of our early members and early leaders, not only in America and Canada but in Great Britain and Scandinavia and elsewhere, came from backgrounds in low-church Protestantism. They did not, by and large, come out of the liturgical traditions that most celebrated Holy Week.
So early Mormons did not know how to celebrate Holy Week. I find myself with sympathy as I have always found it difficult to figure out how to celebrate Easter. How do you celebrate a cruel execution? Reading the Gospels I find people encountering the resurrection with confusion fear and uncertainty. I can see commemoration in a time of meditation on the meaning and path illuminated by Jesus life and death and resurrection. I find crowds fancy hats and celebration confusing.
You make a good point, huckelberry. Sometimes you just have to find the right situation.

I am atheist, my husband is Catholic, and mainly for reasons of educational opportunity we ended up sending our children to Catholic schools through high school. Consequently, we spent a lot of time in our parish, and I started singing with the choir. (they had no problem with me being atheist, and more importantly, the (fairly normal in my home area) Mormon skill of being able to read music was welcomed wholeheartedly!!!)

Anyway, the commemoration of things like Holy Week, experienced from the standpoint of a member of the Mass choir who was previously Mormon, was astonishing to me. We had to attend most days of the Week in order to fulfill the musical requirements of the various events. There was so much reverence, respect, elegance and musical joy in those parish masses. My choir participation left me impressed beyond belief with the entire process, as the story of Holy Week was slowly developed.

I am still atheist, and no longer participate as regularly in the choir, but I will admit wholeheartedly that the joy and wonder of the universe were demonstrated amazingly well during those Catholic events with my Choir. I treasure my memories of that time.
Last edited by Marcus on Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.