Philo sophee

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Philo sophee

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Posting here on case you don't visit the office topic forums.

Have you ever played fairie chess? My son got this for Christmas. It was one of his Christmas wishes.
I need to work out how to play it so we can play.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Philo sophee

Post by Philo Sofee »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:40 am
Posting here on case you don't visit the office topic forums.

Have you ever played fairie chess? My son got this for Christmas. It was one of his Christmas wishes.
I need to work out how to play it so we can play.
Never heard of it but would enjoy learning it.....
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I checked wikapedia and an amazon sale for pieces. It seems one can make variations as you choose. Select special pieces to substitute which have special abilities. You could choose a Trump piece. It could move one step forward and one space to the side a bit like a knight . Well that is a little like one diagonal step but it come with the proclamation that nobody else can do it.

One can choose more useful special pieces. I think perhaps it could be practice in tactical thinking sidestepping learned patterns using the regular pieces. Sort of like playing the Chinese version with a cannon and river in the middle.(untill lots of experience with that version)

I think learning this would be a matter of first learning regular chess and then you can experiment with variations for fun or to confuse people.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Lost my post. My child is hyper.

This is the set we got him...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YPZG5TY? ... ZYB9JS23BX

I thought every piece was swapped out. Oli already plays normal chess. He likes to watch videos. It was him who asked for fairie chess. I think he has watched videos on how to play.