Interpreter 2.0?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Interpreter 2.0?

Post by Shulem »

Tom wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:51 pm

ETA: the Proprietor has weighed in on the logo:
If you examine the new logo design, you might perhaps see something like the rays of the sun. You might also see an open book. And you might even recognize an allusion to the emblem for the [sic] Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that was announced in April 2020.

Yes, and we covered that in detail up in the Celestial Forum:

New Church Logo of Jesus in a Bell Jar?

Lots and lots of pictures too!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Tom wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:51 pm
Here is what the Church itself had to say about that new symbol:

“Jesus in a bell jar, shoo fly shoo. Jesus in a bell jar, shoo fly shoo. Jesus in a bell jar, shoo fly shoo. Skip to my loo, my apologetic warriors.”
Sorry, just had an espresso.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:24 pm

So also did John Gee at the end of his stupid Interpreter article:

Gee wrote:If we had the entire translation of the Book of Abraham, we might be able to see how Shulem might have fit into the story or know more about him.

But we have all the characters in the registers above the hand of so-called "Shulem" in Facsimile No. 3. They are there, all of them. And yet, contrary to Joseph Smith's false reading of Fig. 5, and the characters above his hand, the name Shulem does not exist. He is not a servant or a waiter as Gee tries to make out. He is HOR, justified in heaven in the presence of Osiris.

John Gee, you are a liar and a disgrace to your craft.

:x
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:10 pm
Moksha wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:24 pm

So also did John Gee at the end of his stupid Interpreter article:

Gee wrote:If we had the entire translation of the Book of Abraham, we might be able to see how Shulem might have fit into the story or know more about him.

But we have all the characters in the registers above the hand of so-called "Shulem" in Facsimile No. 3. They are there, all of them. And yet, contrary to Joseph Smith's false reading of Fig. 5, and the characters above his hand, the name Shulem does not exist. He is not a servant or a waiter as Gee tries to make out. He is HOR, justified in heaven in the presence of Osiris.

John Gee, you are a liar and a disgrace to your craft.

:x
Properly slappin the apologists silly since 1999! :D
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I experienced déjà vu this fine morning while reading the Proprietor's Easter-centered essay published today in Interpreter, "Christ is Risen! Truly, He is Risen!" (The essay will be posted online here later today.) As far as I can tell, the essay is essentially a repeat of an April 2023 blog post titled "A Testimony: Χριστὸς Ἀνέστη! Ἀληθῶς Ἀνέστη!" In turn, the blog post seems to be a "fairly accurate text" of a ward sacrament meeting talk delivered by the Proprietor a year ago.

I would guess that the Proprietor was a last-minute fill-in for the individual who was originally invited to contribute the special annual Easter essay to Interpreter. In any case, I am reminded of Bond James Bond's 2013 prophecy: "By Jan. 1, 2014 Interpreter will be dead just like Mormon Scholars Testify. Either totally dead or down to token 'blog' style postings and re-postings of old/reworked articles (already happening)." I am also reminded of Ecclesiastes 1:9, which reads: "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun" (NIV).
Last edited by Tom on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:26 pm
I experienced déjà vu this fine morning while reading the Proprietor's Easter-centered essay published today in Interpreter, "Christ is Risen! Truly, He is Risen!" (The essay will be posted online here later today.) As far as I can tell, the essay is essentially a repeat of an April 2023 blog post titled "A Testimony: Χριστὸς Ἀνέστη! Ἀληθῶς Ἀνέστη!." In turn, the blog post seems to be a "fairly accurate text" of a ward sacrament meeting talk delivered by the Proprietor a year ago.

I would guess that the Proprietor was a last-minute fill-in for the individual who was originally invited to contribute the special annual Easter essay to Interpreter. In any case, I am reminded of Bond James Bond's 2013 prophecy: "By Jan. 1, 2014 Interpreter will be dead just like Mormon Scholars Testify. Either totally dead or down to token 'blog' style postings and re-postings of old/reworked articles (already happening)." I am also reminded of Ecclesiastes 1:9, which reads: "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun" (NIV).
"By Jan. 1, 2014 Interpreter will be dead just like Mormon Scholars Testify. Either totally dead or down to token 'blog' style postings and re-postings of old/reworked articles (already happening)." -- Bond

Bond was truly prophetic.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 pm
Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:26 pm
I experienced déjà vu this fine morning while reading the Proprietor's Easter-centered essay published today in Interpreter, "Christ is Risen! Truly, He is Risen!" (The essay will be posted online here later today.) As far as I can tell, the essay is essentially a repeat of an April 2023 blog post titled "A Testimony: Χριστὸς Ἀνέστη! Ἀληθῶς Ἀνέστη!." In turn, the blog post seems to be a "fairly accurate text" of a ward sacrament meeting talk delivered by the Proprietor a year ago.

"By Jan. 1, 2014 Interpreter will be dead just like Mormon Scholars Testify. Either totally dead or down to token 'blog' style postings and re-postings of old/reworked articles (already happening)." -- Bond

Amen. I should point out that the essay does not include a link to the SeN post or a note that it’s a reprinted sacrament talk.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 pm

Amen. I should point out that the essay does not include a link to the SeN post or a note that it’s a reprinted sacrament talk.
It would seem that the Interpreter Foundation is quite okay with deceiving their readers into thinking that this is new material. This is a classic case of what's known as a "lie of omission." The Mopologists have spent many years trying to defend the Church from accusations that it was "hiding its history"--e.g., by failing to tell members about the extent of Joseph Smith's polygamy, or the rock in the hat, or Zelph the White Lamanite, and so forth. One of the common retorts was, "Go do your own research!" So, I suppose if someone--a donor, say--were to complain about this retread being presented as if it is new material, then they, too, would be told to screw off and "Do your own research!!"?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Lots of great suggestions for that new logo. The marijuana leaf is compelling -- perhaps they meant to say that Interpreter creates a spiritual high?

I can't help but think of the Florida donk car phenomena. I'm somewhat of a fan myself. My first car wasn't technically a donk model but close enough, and I've seen that model sporting 26" Forgiato gold rims. I believe that car went to the salvage yard, which is a major regret of my life considering what I could have done with it years later.

If Dan was inspired by donk rims for the creation of that logo or better yet, inspired by donks while smoking weed, I'll admit my respect will grow significantly.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 pm
Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 pm

It would seem that the Interpreter Foundation is quite okay with deceiving their readers into thinking that this is new material. This is a classic case of what's known as a "lie of omission." The Mopologists have spent many years trying to defend the Church from accusations that it was "hiding its history"--e.g., by failing to tell members about the extent of Joseph Smith's polygamy, or the rock in the hat, or Zelph the White Lamanite, and so forth. One of the common retorts was, "Go do your own research!" So, I suppose if someone--a donor, say--were to complain about this retread being presented as if it is new material, then they, too, would be told to screw off and "Do your own research!!"?
LOL. Quite true. Speaking of Easter, I experienced some heavy déjà lu while reading the Proprietor’s background notes posted on SeN today pertaining to the first Good Friday.