Interpreter 2.0?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Regional Representative

Interpreter 2.0?

Post by Tom »

For close to 12 years, Interpreter: A Journal of Latter-day Saint Faith and Scholarship has had a rather staid and bland look, something akin to an artistic representation of the gym floor and high council table in a Latter-day Saint stake center building that was drawn out on an Olive Garden napkin. The colors and design aren't exactly inspiring.

Imagine my surprise this morning, then, when I spotted what may be a dramatic change in the journal's look and the introduction of a new logo for the Foundation.

Now, I must confess that I don't know what the curious symbol next to the organization's name is intended to represent. An open book (shades of the time-honored practice of bibliomancy)? Rays of light? A heavenly gate? Dowsing rods in motion? My imagination is running wild. In any case, these are exciting times for the Interpreter Foundation.
Last edited by Tom on Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
drumdude
God

Re: Interpreter 2.0?

Post by drumdude »

The author’s name is barely legible. The shadow on the text is horrid. Love the new design, looks incredibly childish and amateur, and fits Interpreter like a glove.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I don't think it's a bad logo. It's an open book, but it also looks like multiple paths with a nice little doorway as the right path through them, or opening up into all of them, or something.

My only problem is that being all bent around backwards like that is going to be awfully bad for that book's spine. Once I notice that, the logo makes me wince a bit, but I don't see how to fix it without losing the doorway thing.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I appreciate the candid feedback, drumdude and PG. If there is no objection, I will anonymize all the feedback and share it with the Proprietor.

You make a good point about the difficulty of seeing the author’s name, drumdude. PG, I had the same concern about the book’s spine (assuming we’re looking at an open book).
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The 90’s called, and they want it all back.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:51 pm
The 90’s called, and they want it all back.
I'll mark that as a negative comment.

Please notice that the Foundation has now confirmed the news: https://interpreterfoundation.org/a-new ... oundation/

If I am not mistaken, there is no explanation of the meaning of the symbol.
Last edited by Tom on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I am pleased to report that the journal home page now sports the new logo.

I don't know about you, but the new logo and the dark stained wood on the sides of the home page don't mix well.

Please note that the Foundation has slapped a TM on the logo, so please refrain from copying it or using it for unauthorized purposes.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:10 pm
Now, I must confess that I don't know what the curious symbol next to the organization's name is intended to represent. An open book (shades of the time-honored practice of bibliomancy)? Rays of light? A heavenly gate? Dowsing rods in motion? My imagination is running wild. In any case, these are exciting times for the Interpreter Foundation.
INTERPRETER SMOKES WEED
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Thanks very much for calling this to our attention, Tom. I'm not quite sure what to make of this development. I hear that Book of Mormon Central has a payroll of some $2 million. Perhaps the Proprietor can phone them up and talk to them about the possibility of hiring a graphic designer? The imagery looks a bit like a 3rd-rate version of the worst Ensign covers. As for the logo.... I am inclined to think it looks a bit like a side-view of a Slinky in motion. You know: when you set the spiral-shaped toy in motion, it sort of flops over and briefly forms a rainbow-like shape that's not unlike the new logo. Actually, "Slinky in motion" rather sounds like a good descriptor for Mopologetics, if I do say so myself....
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:40 pm
If I am not mistaken, there is no explanation of the meaning of the symbol.
I feel moved upon to interpret The Interpreter.

The rays are those of the crown of Liberty, representing the highest calling of the foundation, which is to liberate people from their ignorance. Below, is a door for those who wish to knock, so the fruits of the spirit and reason can be opened unto them. There are seven rays to represent the divine number of completion, and a commitment to work tirelessly until the hopeful and promised day of divinely mandated rest when the Savior will take upon his earthly crown and reward those who have been faithful Mopologetic servants.

Selah.