Show Me the Money.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Show Me the Money.

Post by yellowstone123 »

I don't know about Salt Lake City but here in southern California they wanted you to sign up to work for a cooperation and the money went to the church:

Hertz rent a car: cars had to be moved and the church had a large 12 person van in the parking lot. At 7:00 pm people jumped in the van and was given a location. It could be moving 11 cars from Orange County airport to Los Angeles international airport. Sometimes you were back by 11 pm. One time we went from Los Angeles Airport to San Diego. It was pouring rain. I slowed down by a horrific accident where people in both cars were unconscious. I got out of my car and banged on the window but it seemed one car stopped in the number two lane and was rear ended by another car going down hill towards the city. I was drenched. People slowed by in a crawl.The CHP showed right up and asked if I was a witness. I wasn't so they kicked me loose. When I got to San Diego people thought I had been in the accident. I was drenched in a sweater, jeans and tennis shoes on the two hour trip home at midnight. It was still pouring rain. Many had to be up early for their regular jobs but came back in at midnight. So around an 4.75 an hour times for 12 bodies (person driving the van) and the church was paid by hertz. Some days it was five nights a week. I don't know what other stakes did but we did these things.

Sign up for inventory on Sunday for the following Saturday at different stores but mostly Mervin's in Southern California. People would donate 4 hours on a Saturday morning to do inventory at a department store. The Church was paid for it.

Tithing, ward budget, other things. When I was 12 a man at church drove me around to five or six houses and I knocked on the door, said "fast offering" and handed them an envelope. Usually they were the ones not active and put five in the envelope each fast Sunday. All deacons did this. Before the words in the movie of "show me the money" the church had it's own "show me the money" and then the child labor and picking oranges at local orange farms that could actually harm a young persons back. It was crazy. Go to priesthood meeting come home. Drive back to Sunday school and return home. Drive back to Sacrament meeting and drive home.
Two mottos I try to follow: 1) my hero is truth; 2) no surprises.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Show Me the Money.

Post by Dr. Shades »

How did they talk you into it?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Re: Show Me the Money.

Post by yellowstone123 »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:43 am
How did they talk you into it?
Hi Dr Shades. The church gets you so busy you can't really think about what's going on: religious meeting, seminary, making money, sports, scouting, and trying to fit my poor school grades into all of those activities. My Protestant and Catholic friends go to church, listen, put some money in the plate and drive home. The whole thing is 1.5 hours, most.
Two mottos I try to follow: 1) my hero is truth; 2) no surprises.