Way Too Early Predictions For BYU Football's 2024 Season

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Way Too Early Predictions For BYU Football's 2024 Season

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

BYU is entering its second season in the BIG 12. In order to be competitive, recruiting is going to have to improve fast. This season's recruiting class is a little disappointing.

Right now, BYU sits at number 12 in the recruiting rankings for the BIG 12. Utah sits at number 5. Of course, Colorado with head coach Deion Sanders sits at number 1. I don't think any BIG 12 team can compete with Colorado's NIL war chest. Some estimates put Colorado's NIL at around 50 million. Deion Sanders obviously has very wealthy and powerful friends willing to contribute millions: https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Footb ... e=Big%2012

As a lifelong BYU football fan I'm starting to have doubts they can compete with the other BIG 12 teams in recruiting/NIL money. Oh well, I guess last place in the BIG 12 is better than independence and having to play North Dakota, Montana, Liberty and Weber State. Maybe the Church can contribute the BYU's NIL collective. I would rather my tithing go to BYU football than just sitting in the Ensign Peak Fund.

I'm predicting 5 wins this season for BYU. I hope I'm wrong.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
IWMP
Pirate

Re: Way Too Early Predictions For BYU Football's 2024 Season

Post by IWMP »

How did it go? Church should fund their university, other wise, is it really a church university?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

It's always been tough to recruit there. Most kids don't want the restrictions BYU imposes or the environment there. I believe it's the same reason why military academies don't have competitive programs there either. However, the BYU basketball coach seems to have bucked the trend and Sitaki is a great recruiter. Anyone with Utah ties, and there are a lot with the BYU football coaches, is going to rise to the top, baby.

Go Utes!

And let's see little brother compete as well. The BYU/Utah game should always be a factor for the conference championship.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

The best thing about Provo was seeing it in my rear view window. Jim McMahon.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:27 pm
Go Utes!

Absolutely.

This is always my response when the subject of BYU football comes up.
Dwight
Priest

Post by Dwight »

I find the hypocrisy of BYU football/athletics deeply troubling. Either have an honor code or don’t. I could at least respect Bronco Mendenhall actually tried to hold his team to the honor code. Of course it cost them games so he had to go.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Dwight wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:37 pm
I find the hypocrisy of BYU football/athletics deeply troubling. Either have an honor code or don’t. I could at least respect Bronco Mendenhall actually tried to hold his team to the honor code. Of course it cost them games so he had to go.
Jim McMahon used to walk around campus with a big dip of chew in his mouth. He even famously gave an interview after a BYU game while holding his tobacco spit cup. He was untouchable and it's speculated that he had some serious fans high up in Church leadership that instructed the honor code to back off. The publicity from winning football games was evidently more important to the Church.

Jim famously said he had a simple method for maintaining his football/student eligibility when he played at BYU: "You had to find girls who kept their mouths shut."

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/4/11/ ... honor-code
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

I am sure he meant figuratively.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Did you know that BYU sports is the only place where numbers and statistics can freely be released?

BYU will declare each Big 12 game a moral victory due to being extra-righteous.

BYU's first game is against the Southern Illinois Salukis on Aug 31 @ 6:00 pm MDT at the Daniel C. Peterson stadium.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Morley wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:09 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:27 pm
Go Utes!

Absolutely.

This is always my response when the subject of BYU football comes up.
Sorry BYU fans. I love ya like family but I have to post this:

Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.