Mormon divorce rates

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Mormon divorce rates

Post by drumdude »

The proprietor of a certain Christopher Hitchens fan blog posted a link to the following article on Mormon marriage:
Why a ‘true temple marriage’ lasts in a world of high divorce rates

Jason Carroll, family initiative director at BYU’s Wheatley Institute, expounds on different kinds of marriage, during a BYU–Idaho devotional March 19
https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... -marriage/

Conspicuously missing are any statistics to back up the claim that temple marriage is objectively any better than your average marriage. A redditor offers a possible explanation:
While an undergrad at BYU I took a paid side job as a research assistant. Among other things we looked for was divorce rates among Mormons. Our survey results showed it at 52% with the National avg being 48% at the time.

The university asked the results not be published and the project was scrapped.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mormon/comment ... orce_rates
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Mormon divorce rates

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

While an undergrad at BYU I took a paid side job as a research assistant. Among other things we looked for was divorce rates among Mormons. Our survey results showed it at 52% with the National avg being 48% at the time.

"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
markc
Star A

Post by markc »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:14 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mormon/comment ... orce_rates
That's bad enough, but what's worse is to my knowledge, for these "sealed" marriages, even when they're divorced, the wives are still "attached" to their husbands--they CANNOT be sealed to any other men. If this is not sexism I don't know what is.

Edit: grammar
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

markc wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:48 pm
That's bad enough, but what's worse is to my knowledge, for these "sealed" marriages, even when they're divorced, the wives are still "attached" to their husbands--they CANNOT be sealed to any other men. If this is not sexism I don't know what is.
You are correct. Sexism is built into Mormon God’s grand design.

Brigham Young:

“Relief Society -going to meet again - I say I will curse every man that lets his wife or daughters meet again -until I tell them -What are relief societies for? To relieve us of our best men -They relived us of Joseph and Hyrum -that is what they will lead to -I don't (want) the advice or counsel of any woman -they would lead us down to hell-"
markc
Star A

Post by markc »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:48 am

Brigham Young:

“Relief Society -going to meet again - I say I will curse every man that lets his wife or daughters meet again -until I tell them -What are relief societies for? To relieve us of our best men -They relived us of Joseph and Hyrum -that is what they will lead to -I don't (want) the advice or counsel of any woman -they would lead us down to hell-"
Wow. Can you tell me the source? I need to share this with quite a few people I know.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

markc wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:21 pm
drumdude wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:48 am

Brigham Young:

Wow. Can you tell me the source? I need to share this with quite a few people I know.
It can be found here. https://www.churchhistorianspress.org ... 1/1-13
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

I sometimes find myself asking the question 'who was more vile, Young or Smith'? :lol:
markc
Star A

Post by markc »

Rivendale wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:19 pm

It can be found here. https://www.churchhistorianspress.org ... 1/1-13
Thanks! Goodness, this is from the Mormon church's site...
markc
Star A

Post by markc »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:21 pm
I sometimes find myself asking the question 'who was more vile, Young or Smith'? :lol:
If you ask me, I'll 110% say Young! He's such a self-righteous evil jerk!
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

markc wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:23 am
BeNotDeceived wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:21 pm
If you ask me, I'll 110% say Young! He's such a self-righteous evil jerk!
I'll take Smith... not only was he as vile a man as Young, he intentinally deceived tens upon tens of millions of people by creating a fraudulent religion to profit from.