Mormons arguing that “Mormon” is as derogatory as the N-word

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Mormons arguing that “Mormon” is as derogatory as the N-word

Post by drumdude »

This is what happens when people are brainwashed into a strong persecution complex. You get white men saying the uncensored N-word to back up their “prophet’s” personal vendetta against the word Mormon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... n_utah_of/
huckelberry
God

Re: Mormons arguing that “Mormon” is as derogatory as the N-word

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:25 am
This is what happens when people are brainwashed into a strong persecution complex. You get white men saying the uncensored N-word to back up their “prophet’s” personal vendetta against the word Mormon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... n_utah_of/
one , perhaps isolated(hopefully) Mormon spoke in such a thoughtless manner. So young he is unaware of the many decades Mormons were perfectly happy to refer to themselves as Mormons? Unaware of what lies behind that n word? One of those extremist who discovered the belief that USA has never been a racist nation and racism is not important?
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Lol
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I am happy to identify as a Mormon. I don't see what the problem is.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

I assume everyone is sitting alone on their computers or phones. Maybe no one is around but the dog or cat. Maybe a house plant or a clown chotchke. You're totally alone. Say "Mormon". Easy. Now say the "N" word. Did you say the "N" word? No right? Then stop it with these comparisons.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:09 pm
President Nelson had a nighttime revelation that the word Mormon is of Satanic origin. Interestingly, Joseph Smith declared that it meant More Good in the Adamic language, but as we all know a recent Church president trumps a past Church president.

Lest we think this might have been caused by a spot of bad mustard or a desire to camouflage the Church from endless bad publicity, remember that President Nelson is sustained as a prophet, seer, and revelator.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:03 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:09 pm
President Nelson had a nighttime revelation that the word Mormon is of Satanic origin. Interestingly, Joseph Smith declared that it meant More Good in the Adamic language, but as we all know a recent Church president trumps a past Church president.

Lest we think this might have been caused by a spot of bad mustard or a desire to camouflage the Church from endless bad publicity, remember that President Nelson is sustained as a prophet, seer, and revelator.
Distancing themselves from the word Mormon helps establish themselves as just another evangelical organization, like Kenneth Copland and all the financial prosperity he enjoys from spreading his faith...

Whatever makes the Mormon church the most money is the direction they will go in.
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

The word is used in bird books describing the puffin bird Mormon articus and Mormon glacious
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/mormo ... y=relevant

Wes Walters in his Mth thesis said in Greek mormo meant a hideus face
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormo
"Mormo (Greek: Μορμώ, Mormō) was a female spirit in Greek folklore, whose name was invoked by mothers and nurses to frighten children to keep them from misbehaving.
Mormon meant frightening
Used to describe an ape in London
https://wellcomecollection.org/works/mv9kvadv
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

It used to be a proud thing to be called a Mormon.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

If this is really what they believe then they’ve got that word on the front of the book that they believe is the “truest book on Earth” and a “New Testament of Jesus Christ.” Maybe they need to start censoring the Book of Mormon?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14