Mormons arguing that “Mormon” is as derogatory as the N-word

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Re: Mormons arguing that “Mormon” is as derogatory as the N-word

Post by I Have Questions »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:18 am
Bundy and Hussein must have had a shred of decency.
But do you assess them as “relatively decent” individuals in the same way that you have assessed Brigham Young to be “relatively decent” individual. If not, what is the difference you’re seeing?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I Have Questions wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:31 am
But do you assess them as “relatively decent” individuals in the same way that you have assessed Brigham Young to be “relatively decent” individual. If not, what is the difference you’re seeing?
Isn’t the difference kind of obvious? I would consider Bundy mostly indecent.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:04 am
I Have Questions wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:31 am
Isn’t the difference kind of obvious?
I’m interested in hearing what you see as the the material differences between Brigham Young, and Bundy & Hussein.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I Have Questions wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:50 am
I’m interested in hearing what you see as the the material differences between Brigham Young, and Bundy & Hussein.
Well, Bundy was a serial killer. Right? It is hard to find a more flawed and indecent human being than a serial killer, who violates the most basic principles of mutual social obligation.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:07 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:50 am
Well, Bundy was a serial killer. Right? It is hard to find a more flawed and indecent human being than a serial killer, who violates the most basic principles of mutual social obligation.
Brigham Young was responsible for killing many more people than Bundy. What about the Hussein comparison?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I Have Questions wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:09 pm
Brigham Young was responsible for killing many more people than Bundy.
Let’s stick with Bundy. Are you saying that all deaths are morally equal? That the serial killer and the soldier both cause death and are therefore moral equals?
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:52 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:09 pm
Brigham Young was responsible for killing many more people than Bundy.
Let’s stick with Bundy. Are you saying that all deaths are morally equal? That the serial killer and the soldier both cause death and are therefore moral equals?
The Fort Utah massacre is classed as “mass murder”.
“Previous to the massacre the Timpanogos people initially tolerated the new presence of the settlers from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) who had only recently begun moving south into Utah Valley in the past year from the main settlement in the Salt Lake Valley. The two groups enjoyed some moments of mutual friendship. However, after a Timpanogos man (called Old Bishop) stole an item of clothing from an LDS settler, three LDS men retaliated by murdering him.[5]
A group of Timpanogos people responded to the murder by stealing around 50 cattle. Settlers in Fort Utah petitioned leaders in Salt Lake City to go to war with the group. Isaac Higbee, Parley P. Pratt and Willard Richards convinced Brigham Young to exterminate any Timpanogos hostile to the Mormon settlement. Young sent the Nauvoo Legion down with Captain George D. Grant and later sent General Daniel H. Wells to lead the army. After the Timpanogos defended themselves from within their village and an abandoned cabin, they fled their camp. The Mormons pursued the Timpanogos people from Chief Old Elk's tribe and killed any other Timpanogos people they found in the valley.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_at_Fort_Utah

Bundy and Young are both mass murderers. I’d argue that Young’s instructions on what to do with the Timpanogos amounts to ethnic cleansing. Or do you think Young was militarily justified in his treatment of the Timpanogos?
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

*scratching my head*

Some people seem to give the N-word a pass if reading the word or hearing it while watching a film. Some books have it once which to me is enough and some have it through out the story; films too. I tend to agree with a former poster is that - are you alone when this is watched or read. The word tends to get a green light from editors. If live and directed at someone that doesn't look like you, it's harmful and hurtful.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Let’s stick with Bundy. Are you saying that all deaths are morally equal? That the serial killer and the prophet both cause death and are therefore moral equals?
No way, Brigham did not leave any bite marks.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:13 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Let’s stick with Bundy. Are you saying that all deaths are morally equal? That the serial killer and the prophet both cause death and are therefore moral equals?
No way, Brigham did not leave any bite marks.
BY's crushed glass mixed in flour leaves a type of bite mark I suppose. Plus, If I recall correctly Bundy hid body parts. BY mounted the heads of victims on spikes as a warning.