FAIR Board Member and Mopologist, Juliann Reynolds Is Openly Criticizing The Church's Treatment Of LGTBQ Members

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: FAIR Board Member and Mopologist, Juliann Reynolds Is Openly Criticizing The Church's Treatment Of LGTBQ Members

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:31 am
a blog wrote:I hope that people out there are not so confused as to be unable to decide which holiday they should celebrate tomorrow: “Biden Proclaims Easter Sunday ‘Transgender Day of Visibility’”
I wonder if this blog proprietor had seen Juliann's comments and is calling her out?
I guess the alternative headline isn't quite as catchy:

"Biden Once Again, As He Has Done in Previous Years, Announces the International Day of Visibility That Is Celebrated by Many Countries and Has Been Around for Fifteen Years, Causing Some Christians to Discover That Easter Changes Days Each Year"

Transphobia is such a bizarre thing. Imagine thinking that celebrating Christ would mean you can't also acknowledge and try to alleviate the suffering of a marginalized people/community. Conservative American Christianity is like a weird book club, where hardly anyone seems to read the book, and instead relies primarily on fan fiction.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Re: FAIR Board Member and Mopologist, Juliann Reynolds Is Openly Criticizing The Church's Treatment Of LGTBQ Members

Post by Morley »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:30 pm
Conservative American Christianity is like a weird book club, where hardly anyone seems to read the book, and instead relies primarily on fan fiction.
Beautiful.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Imagine thinking that celebrating Christ would mean you can't also acknowledge and try to alleviate the suffering of a marginalized people/community.
What’s ironic is that Christ would likely want you to spend the day helping to alleviate the suffering of a marginalised people/community instead of spending time celebrating Him. I mean, wasn’t His whole life supposedly spent demonstrating exactly that?

It’s bizarre how often Mormons use Christ as the reason they don’t behave in a Christlike manner.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I Have Questions wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:30 pm
What’s ironic is that Christ would likely want you to spend the day helping to alleviate the suffering of a marginalised people/community instead of spending time celebrating Him. I mean, wasn’t His whole life supposedly spent demonstrating exactly that?
Excellent point.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I Have Questions wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:30 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Imagine thinking that celebrating Christ would mean you can't also acknowledge and try to alleviate the suffering of a marginalized people/community.

It’s bizarre how often Mormons use Christ as the reason they don’t behave in a Christlike manner.
Mormon Jesus wants you to shave your beard and scrub toilets at the stake center Saturday.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“DCP” wrote:STW: "Just watched an interview with David and his mother. They seem happy, peaceful and supportive. I wish them well on their journey. They are good, kind and very humble people."

I wish them well, too. And I hope that, someday, they'll find their way back to the Savior's Church.

STW: "I certainly understand the Mormon [sic] church does not want gay members to fall in love, date, marry to share their life, hopes, dreams and burdens with a partner."

That's right. The icky-poo Church just doesn't want certain people to be happy.

You did a pretty good job of nicely painting the Church's position as negatively as you possibly could.

STW: "Fewer and fewer Mormon [sic] parents are willing to place these heavy burdens at their children’s feet anymore."

And that, I suppose, is why the Church's active membership is rapidly approaching zero.

STW: "As one prominent [?] Mormon [sic] apologist recently said, “If the church manages to lose someone as stalwart and supportive as Archuleta was, it’s time to rethink what they are doing.”"

Do you think that the warm enveloping glow that you and your friends feel from her wonderful, glorious words will ever fade?
It’s so weird how when you put the church’s official position on gay people into words it looks so negative!
Dr. Sunstoned
Valiant A

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:44 am
Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:46 am
I have noticed a significant change in the perceptions and opinions of many of the stalwart members of that board over the last few years. There is now open criticism of church decisions. Criticisms that would have got someone banned five years ago.
Yes, I have not even dared try to post there because I know I would be banned almost pronto, and that is before typing anything.
They have lightened up quite a bit on the board monitoring and banning. The activity on the board has also dropped way off.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:45 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:44 am
Yes, I have not even dared try to post there because I know I would be banned almost pronto, and that is before typing anything.
They have lightened up quite a bit on the board monitoring and banning. The activity on the board has also dropped way off.
No surprise. I am so busy with so many projects that are about to come to fruition I just don't have time to wrangle with the brainwashed folk...
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:45 pm
Do you think one influenced the other? If so, which would you say triggered which?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Dr. Sunstoned
Valiant A

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

The moderation used to be very slanted. TBM posters would get a pass on just about any behavior. Critics were banned or put on limited, sometimes for nothing more than cross-posting on this board. Folks like Bill Real, consig, and others were banned, and the board discussions suffered. The result was that the FAIR board became an echo chamber. Participation dropped way off. This was a few years ago. For the past couple of years, I have noticed that the board's moderation has become very light. Very few bannings and there have been some sharp debates.

What I have found surprising is the changes in some of the poster's perspectives. These are old hardcore FAIR members who are now openly challenging the church's position on how women are treated and polygamy. If I had to put a date on when things started to change, it would be right after the POX was announced. There was lots of pushback on that one.