Kirton McConkie's Randy Austin called as Area Seventy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Regional Representative

Kirton McConkie's Randy Austin called as Area Seventy

Post by Tom »

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has called Randy Austin, a shareholder at Kirton McConkie who protects children from abuse protects the interests of the church in sexual abuse cases, as an area seventy. His firm bio states:
Randy Austin chairs the firm’s First Amendment and Religious Organizations practice group. He serves as lead outside controversy and crisis counsel for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He has managed crises and litigated significant controversies in most states in the US and several foreign countries. His practice emphasizes internal investigations, crisis management, litigation with special emphasis on child protection, and abuse prevention and response.
Per his bio page, Austin's experience includes the following activities:
  • Successfully litigated and otherwise resolved hundreds of sexual misconduct claims
  • Conducted hundreds of internal investigations relating to sexual misconduct throughout the United States and in many foreign countries.
I would note that Brother Austin was once featured on Mormon.org as part of the now heretical "I'm a Mormon" campaign. "Hi I'm Randy Austin . . . . I am [a] lawyer who protects children from abuse, and I'm a Mormon." I am not making this up.

Congratulations to Brother Austin. I look forward to his sustaining vote this weekend.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Kirton McConkie's Randy Austin called as Area Seventy

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tom, I say this as kindly and pleadingly as possible. Please stand up, literally stand up and oppose this man being given more authority over children. People on the inside have got to start publicly opposing these men and hold them accountable for their misdeeds.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Copy. I’ll be in touch with Nemo to do the same on his side of the pond.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:46 pm
Copy. I’ll be in touch with Nemo to do the same on his side of the pond.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

This guy does the Lords dirty work. He’s destined for the Q12.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I should note Russell Nelson's recent Facebook message. He attempts to bury the lede, but, nonetheless, here it is:
Dear brothers, sisters, and friends, how grateful I am that we can watch, listen to, or attend general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints this weekend. I know that the General Authorities and General Officers of the Church who will speak to us have prepared thoughtfully to teach us what the Lord would have them teach. I encourage you to view each session, prepared to make note of the spiritual impressions you receive.

For each of us, time marches on. As many of you know, I am closing in on my 100th birthday. Though my body reminds me every day that it is nearly a century old and to go easy on it, I honestly don’t know where the years have gone. They have simply flown by.

As senior leaders in the Church, we are called to serve for the remainder of our lives, often long beyond “retirement age.” This means that you may see some of us during general conference speak while sitting down, or pre-record our message to be shared at the appropriate time, or even require a little assistance getting to and from our seats in the conference center.

From my point of view, this is cause for celebration. I thank the Lord every day for the privilege of still being here with you. I cherish working alongside colleagues who are wearing out their lives in service to our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, despite the aches and creaks that come with advancing age. I don’t have words to express how grateful I am for strong colleagues on whom I can lean in many ways as we strive to serve the Lord.

May each of us, regardless of our individual circumstances, listen with open hearts and minds to what we hear this weekend so that the Lord can continue to direct each of us in our individual paths.

Happy general conference, my dear brothers and sisters!
How many leaders is he referring to? Instituting emeritus status for apostles is something church leaders might consider.
Last edited by Tom on Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

In other news, David Bednar's oldest son has been sustained as an area seventy:
Eric D. Bednar, 47, Crestwood, Kentucky; orthodontic faculty, University of Louisville; currently serving as president of the Crestwood Kentucky Stake; former bishop and bishopric counselor
I am reminded of J. Golden Kimball's purported remark: "Some people say a person receives a position in this church through revelation, and others say they get it through inspiration, but I say they get it through relation. If I hadn't been related to Heber C. Kimball I wouldn't have been a damn thing in this church.”
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It’s just a coincidence that the men most deserving of the job (as confirmed by the Holy Spirit of course) are family members of Mormon Royalty and their lawyers.

It’s really a religion, we swear.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:12 pm
"Hi, I'm Randy Austin . . . . I am [a] lawyer who protects children from abuse, and I'm a Mormon."
Talk about doublespeak. Keeping the abuse under wraps so that it can continue is the opposite of protecting children.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

It's striking to compare Pres. Nelson's comment with the Mopologists' views on mortality. Here is Nelson, nearly 100 years old, thanking the Lord "every day for the privilege of still being here.' Meanwhile, Midgley refers to this life as a "probation," and Dr. Peterson was brimming with excited giddiness over the prospect of "Frenchy" dying as soon as possible! It's an odd contrast: Nelson would presumably go straight to the Celestial Kingdom, since his "calling and election" has been "made sure." Frenchy, meanwhile, will be consigned to an eternity as a 2nd-class citizen since he'll be headed for a lesser kingdom.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14