Elder Holland may not be Secondly Anointed?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Elder Holland may not be Secondly Anointed?

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:01 pm
Your words stand on their own merit. Which apostle was involved with the Memorial Estates Security Corporation again? God, there so many scandals where LDS funds are being misused that I’m having a hard time sorting them all.

Anyway, circling back, the 2nd Anointing is a huge grift for apostles and the such, since the Anointed leadership don’t have the burden of paying on their income - it’s another 10% in their bank accounts.

Weird that has to be pointed out. :oops:

- Doc
I think the point, for those who are not so enamored of their own cynicism, is that the instances of dishonesty do not define the entire apostleship. You see nothing but selfish exploitation, it seems. I grant that instances of it are there, but they are outweighed by the usual lifetime of decent service.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:05 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:01 pm
Your words stand on their own merit. Which apostle was involved with the Memorial Estates Security Corporation again? God, there so many scandals where LDS funds are being misused that I’m having a hard time sorting them all.

Anyway, circling back, the 2nd Anointing is a huge grift for apostles and the such, since the Anointed leadership don’t have the burden of paying on their income - it’s another 10% in their bank accounts.

Weird that has to be pointed out. :oops:

- Doc
I think the point, for those who are not so enamored of their own cynicism, is that the instances of dishonesty do not define the entire apostleship. You see nothing but selfish exploitation, it seems. I grant that instances of it are there, but they are outweighed by the usual lifetime of decent service.
Ballard, had he not been related to ‘Mormon royalty’ would been broke and anonymous. His nepotistic relationship with church royalty made him a millionaire. He hadn’t earned that seat, but it was handed to him despite being objectively unqualified to occupy it. He’s literally the perfect example of white privilege and failing upwards, and the church ensured he was elevated every step of the way. His ministry was unremarkable.

Edit: as a reminder the Q15, all 15, are literally related to each other in one form or another.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Guys, I think we are getting off course a little. Sure, the apostles all know they are perpetuating a massive fraud and enrich themselves with millions. But, we all need to remember and refocus on the real evil/villain in all of this. Daniel C. Peterson.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:50 pm
Guys, I think we are getting off course a little. Sure, the apostles all know they are perpetuating a massive fraud and enrich themselves with millions. But, we all need to remember and refocus on the real evil/villain in all of this. Daniel C. Peterson.
If Holland is worried he won’t be worthy, DCP should be apoplectic.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:17 pm
Ballard, had he not been related to ‘Mormon royalty’ would been broke and anonymous. His nepotistic relationship with church royalty made him a millionaire. He hadn’t earned that seat, but it was handed to him despite being objectively unqualified to occupy it. He’s literally the perfect example of white privilege and failing upwards, and the church ensured he was elevated every step of the way. His ministry was unremarkable.

Edit: as a reminder the Q15, all 15, are literally related to each other in one form or another.

- Doc
Yeah, we get it. It’s all bad and wrong. Ballard’s entire life was a fraud, and he did nothing decent or helpful for anyone. If the leaders of the LDS Church are related to each other, it makes the whole thing a selfish waste and a grift. No one but these grifters benefits from the LDS Church, right? No good is done. It is all twisted and destructive. It is a good thing we get to remind ourselves of all of this on a daily basis. If any place should serve as a warning of how completely dark the world is, especially in churches, let it be this one.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I know there is a movie reference in this, but it is escaping me at the moment.
Wonhyo
CTR A

Post by Wonhyo »

But, we all need to remember and refocus on the real evil/villain in all of this. Daniel C. Peterson.
This made me laugh!
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

:lol:
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

Doc wrote:

- Doc
Gosh, greatly written. I remember one time Packer talking about being so burdened by student debt, then being called to the Twelve, and not mentioning the student debt and burden again. I thought, wow, it sounds like the church took care of it. I don't know and maybe his kids would say no, he paid it off, but after the talk it sounded like he made it and smooth sailing.

I remember after Ballard being called to the Twelve he gave his first talk and talked about the veil being very thin; after the talk one or a few men got up, I think it was Packer and shook his hand. Whoever it was it was welcome to the club, buddy.

But I also think in jest that when he got up to walk out of meeting with the First Presidency and the other apostles, someone inside would say/cough "Edsel" as he walked out and the whole room would start laughing.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:30 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:17 pm

- Doc
Yeah, we get it. It’s all bad and wrong. Ballard’s entire life was a fraud, and he did nothing decent or helpful for anyone. If the leaders of the LDS Church are related to each other, it makes the whole thing a selfish waste and a grift. No one but these grifters benefits from the LDS Church, right? No good is done. It is all twisted and destructive. It is a good thing we get to remind ourselves of all of this on a daily basis. If any place should serve as a warning of how completely dark the world is, especially in churches, let it be this one.
Your words, not mine. Every one has good and evil inside them, and everyone has done good and bad. I believe DD’s point on Pg. #2 was that Holland was getting a nice perk while demanding the flock pay up, all the while knowing he’s benefiting from a double standard.

How you took that and ran with it is for you to wrestle with.

- Doc