Elder Holland may not be Secondly Anointed?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Elder Holland may not be Secondly Anointed?

Post by drumdude »

Holland's April 2024 Conference Talk wrote:I was the most fortunate of men to spend 60 years of my life with her[his wife]. Should I prove worthy, our sealing means I can spend eternity with her.
Wikipedia on the 2nd Anointing wrote:Church leaders have stated that those who participate in the second anointing ordinance have received the "fullness of the priesthood", their "calling and election made sure", their eternal temple marriage "sealed by the holy spirit of promise", and received the "more sure word of prophecy", "higher blessing," or "second endowment". According to prominent 20th-century LDS Church apostle Bruce R. McConkie, those who have their calling and election made sure "receive the more sure word of prophecy, which means that the Lord seals their exaltation upon them while they are yet in this life. ... [T]heir exaltation is assured."
Has Holland not already proved himself worthy? What should we make of this most senior LDS apostle seemingly worrying about this? Was this simply a throwaway line meant to endear him to the "common folk?" Trying to relate to those of us plebs who are still toiling in mortality and haven't had our exaltation assured?

Another faithful Mormon's perspective:
StayLDS forum member wrote:Saturday morning, 1st hour:

Elder Holland:
Talk on some of his personal struggles of late. Losing his wife and health challenges shortly thereafter.

I did like the bit about people praying for his health and people praying just as hard for his wife's health but there were different results. Those sentiments can chip away at the prosperity gospel.

He did mention that he would be with his wife again if he proved himself worthy. It's sad that people genuinely believe that sort of thing. No one should be worried whether they're worthy enough to be with loved ones.
What is with Mormons and false humility? Whether it's Dan Peterson saying he's basically living paycheck-to-paycheck as an obscure nobody after a lifetime of unpaid uncelebrated apologetic service, or Elder Holland fretting about his worthiness to see his wife again, false humility seems to be a disgusting cultural meme within the religion.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Elder Holland may not be Secondly Anointed?

Post by Kishkumen »

In other non-news . . . .

I would file this under “statements of sincere humility.”
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:21 pm

It’s more fun if you engage in the sci fi premise that the second anointing exists, Kish.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I feel so sorry for Elder Holland. He is the only apostle to never receive his Second Anointing.

A couple of years ago, DCP was dropping hints about his Second Anointing: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=156266&p=2804349&hi ... o#p2804349

Hell, even William Schryver was bragging about receiving his Second Anointing: viewtopic.php?t=118388

It's hard to believe that Holland hasn't received his Second Anointing, but I know Holland would never lie. Hopefully soon, Holland will be lucky enough to receive it.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:21 pm

Do you mean like humble regrets over his Musket talk?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:06 am
Do you mean like humble regrets over his Musket talk?
Maybe! I have no idea.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:41 am
I feel so sorry for Elder Holland. He is the only apostle to never receive his Second Anointing.

A couple of years ago, DCP was dropping hints about his Second Anointing: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=156266&p=2804349&hi ... o#p2804349

Hell, even William Schryver was bragging about receiving his Second Anointing: viewtopic.php?t=118388

It's hard to believe that Holland hasn't received his Second Anointing, but I know Holland would never lie. Hopefully soon, Holland will be lucky enough to receive it.
Holland’s BBC interview was instrumental in showing the world that Mormonism isn’t much different than Scientology, at least as far as the leaders are concerned.

He might be concerned Mormon God will be upset at that little gaffe.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:40 pm
Was this simply a throwaway line meant to endear him to the "common folk?" Trying to relate to those of us plebs who are still toiling in mortality and haven't had our exaltation assured?
Almost assuredly so. He knows he can’t come out and say “I know I’ll be with my wife for eternity no matter what sins I choose to commit aside from the sin against the Holy Ghost or shedding innocent blood, because I’ve had the Second Anointing,” ‘cause that’ll open the floodgates among the rank-and-file who will immediately demand to know what this thing is and, worse yet, ask around about how to get it for themselves.

If mere temple presidents and mission presidents get it, then there’s NO WAY an apostle doesn’t get it.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

It's possible Holland is still a Chapel Mormon, and believes that calling and election means a visit from the Savior. All he got was this weird ceremony that anybody could have made up and say is super important. If somebody like say, the chief executive of a certain blog out there gets it, then he's happy as a clam because he's achieved insider status and can walk around with even more self-importance. But maybe Holland cares less about status and wants the real deal?

The problem Holland has is that he didn't get lucky this time, taking the wrong road resulting in a quick dead end so that he could turn back confidently and change his road. He's taken that long, very long, winding road where he's completely lost, but doesn't fully realize it. At what point should he turn back? And what about that other road, maybe it doesn't lead anywhere either? Maybe he was wrong? But maybe it's just a test of faith?

Keep seeking the face of the Savior, Elder Holland. One thing I can assure you is that you'll never find it, except perhaps in those final soul-extinguishing moments before your death, in your last flutter of neural discharge.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

It's a shame, in a way, Smith died when he did. Can you imagine how many people are missing out on their 3rd, 4th, 5th ... anointings?