Brigham Young doesn’t deserve his online criticism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Brigham Young doesn’t deserve his online criticism

Post by drumdude »

“DP” wrote:It’s become fashionable in recent years to demonize Brigham Young as a racist, even a vicious one — and, in some cases, essentially to forget that there was anything else to the man.

I resist this.

He wasn’t perfect, of course. Nor has any subsequent apostle or president of the Church been perfect. Nor am I. Nor are his critics.

In racial matters, Brigham Young said some things that jar us today, and that we cannot endorse. There’s no denying this. He was, as we all are — even the prophets among us — a man of his time and culture and background.

But he was a good man, a remarkable man, indeed a great man, a sincere disciple of the Lord and a prophet who sought to do God’s will.

I choose to stand with him. “The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes.” And, on the specific racial issue described above, President Brigham Young was — notwithstanding the dismissive stereotype of him that’s currently in vogue — on the side of the angels.
I agree with Dan. Why isn’t anyone talking about Brigham’s love of the arts?
“DCP” wrote: “If I were placed on a cannibal island and given a task of civilizing its people,” Brigham is said to have remarked, “I should straightway build a theatre.”
How about Brigham’s love of magical baking?
“Brigham Young” wrote:I suppose you are ready to ask Brother Brigham if he thinks the power of the Devil could make the vase dance. Yes, and could take it up and carry it out doors, just as easy as to turn up a table and move it here and there, or to cause a rap, rap, rap, or to bake and pass around pancakes or to get hold of a person's hand, and make him write in every style you can think of, imitating George Washington's, Benjamin Franklin's, Joseph Smith's, and other autographs. Can you tell whether that is by the power of God or by the power of the Devil? No, unless you have the revelations of Jesus Christ."
Can’t you awful critics see past the racism and misogyny and celebrate the real man, lover of the Devil’s unholy pancakes?
huckelberry
God

Re: Brigham Young doesn’t deserve his online criticism

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:37 pm
I agree with Dan. Why isn’t anyone talking about Brigham’s love of the arts?
“DCP” wrote: “If I were placed on a cannibal island and given a task of civilizing its people,” Brigham is said to have remarked, “I should straightway build a theatre.”
How about Brigham’s love of magical baking?
“Brigham Young” wrote:I suppose you are ready to ask Brother Brigham if he thinks the power of the Devil could make the vase dance. Yes, and could take it up and carry it out doors, just as easy as to turn up a table and move it here and there, or to cause a rap, rap, rap, or to bake and pass around pancakes or to get hold of a person's hand, and make him write in every style you can think of, imitating George Washington's, Benjamin Franklin's, Joseph Smith's, and other autographs. Can you tell whether that is by the power of God or by the power of the Devil? No, unless you have the revelations of Jesus Christ."
Can’t you awful critics see past the racism and misogyny and celebrate the real man, lover of the Devil’s unholy pancakes?
drumdude, I like Brighams love of theater. I think you misunderstand (perhaps purposely for fun) the comments about possible tricks by the devil and what might be necessary to distinguish them. He is clearly not expressing a love of the devils pancakes though perhaps a love of colorful sermon illustrations.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Is it any wonder DCP is enamored with Brigham "Kill Them All" Young? In addition to legalizing slavery and instituting racist policies that lasted over 100 years, Brigham Young was also responsible for some of the most brutal massacres in recorded U.S. history.

Nobody disputes that Brigham Young solely ordered an extermination campaign against the Timpanogos, and ordered church members to organize and kill all the Timpanogos men, but to spare the women and children if they behaved. The bodies of up to 50 Timpanogos men were beheaded and their heads put on display at the fort as a warning to the mostly women and children prisoners inside.

https://catalog.churchofjesuschrist.org ... 4d5553/0/7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_at ... te_note-20
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Criticism of historical figures is a practically irresistible pastime. Brigham can take it, I’d wager. He’s tough.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

Lots of great information out there on men and women like Abraham Lincoln - 1809; Ralph Waldo Emerson - 1803; Harriet Beecher Stowe - 1811; William H. Seward - 1801; Elijah Parish Lovejoy -1803; James Polk - 1795 and on and on and on... all a product of their time. And then we have Joseph Smith Jr. - 1805 and Brigham Young - 1801. And then we have agency.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:18 pm
Lots of great information out there on men and women like Abraham Lincoln - 1809; Ralph Waldo Emerson - 1803; Harriet Beecher Stowe - 1811; William H. Seward - 1801; Elijah Parish Lovejoy -1803; James Polk - 1795 and on and on and on... all a product of their time. And then we have Joseph Smith Jr. - 1805 and Brigham Young - 1801. And then we have agency.
Yes, it should be remembered that although Abraham Lincoln gets a lot of praise, he was really just a product of his time.
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

"He wasn't perfect" has to be among the most meaningless arguments you could make in defense of someone, especially since no one has perfection as a standard.

But I guess this puts Brigham Young in the same group as Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, DP, and believe or not, me, as well as the countless others who weren't perfect.

To paraphrase or steal from Louis C.K., Brigham Young has at least killed way fewer people than Hitler, Pol Pot, and Stalin. Don't know about the Clintons, as I understand they have quite the kill list. Maybe ahead of DP and me; if so, perhaps only slightly. But I really can't speak for Dan.
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:26 pm
yellowstone123 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:18 pm
Yes, it should be remembered that although Abraham Lincoln gets a lot of praise, he was really just a product of his time.
And these products of their times weren't prophets, seers, or revelators. They didn't have access to the divine when making moral judgments and proclamations. One might hope that such a person might be at least a bit ahead of his time.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

toon wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:58 pm
"He wasn't perfect" has to be among the most meaningless arguments you could make in defense of someone, especially since no one has perfection as a standard.

But I guess this puts Brigham Young in the same group as Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, DP, and believe or not, me, as well as the countless others who weren't perfect.

To paraphrase or steal from Louis C.K., Brigham Young has at least killed way fewer people than Hitler, Pol Pot, and Stalin. Don't know about the Clintons, as I understand they have quite the kill list. Maybe ahead of DP and me; if so, perhaps only slightly. But I really can't speak for Dan.
I don’t recall the Clintons ordering the massacre of 120 men, women, and children, but then I haven’t been listening to enough Trump Truth lately. I’m sure he will lock ’er up during his next term, God willing.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:37 pm
“Brigham Young” wrote: I suppose you are ready to ask Brother Brigham if he thinks the power of the Devil could ..
get hold of a person's hand, and make him write in every style you can think of, imitating George Washington's, Benjamin Franklin's, Joseph Smith's, and other autographs. Can you tell whether that is by the power of God or by the power of the Devil? No, unless you have the revelations of Jesus Christ."

Maybe Brigham was a prophet after all.