Want to throw up!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Want to throw up!

Post by Markk »

Maybe this is just me....I don't know.

For the first time in maybe 40 years I watched and/or listened to all the sessions at GC last weekend as a challenge from a TBM friend.

I did not know who this guy was so I searched for his bio and found him speaking outside the church. Apart from his talk and his gross hypocrisy in light of the of the SEC scandal, and his saying that "Christian kindness is not a substitute for integrity," Listen to his "accent change" in the two video's. It will only take a minute or so of each one, to get my point.

Listen to this

https://youtu.be/GBvg8jzET2M

Then listen to this

https://youtu.be/zH7dY_YSbgs
drumdude
God

Re: Want to throw up!

Post by drumdude »

Businessmen make the best apostles, don’t you know?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Sorry Markk, I'll have to let others take this one. One of the great things about not being an active member is that I never have to listen to conference again. I might listen to a snippet here and there to follow a discussion, but I will unlikely ever listen to an entire talk again. Few things in life were more disheartening as a member than conference weekend coming up with priesthood session. I remember the horrible sinking feeling of having to listen to conference all day, and then drive down to the local ward house with the satellite dish to watch priesthood session. It was horrible.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Markk wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:34 am
... his saying that "Christian kindness is not a substitute for integrity,"...
I think when a Mormon says this it means he retains his right to discriminate for religious purposes. They are categorically saying that so-called "Christian" kindness does not apply to LGBTQ people.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:26 am
Sorry Markk, I'll have to let others take this one. One of the great things about not being an active member is that I never have to listen to conference again. I might listen to a snippet here and there to follow a discussion, but I will unlikely ever listen to an entire talk again. Few things in life were more disheartening as a member than conference weekend coming up with priesthood session. I remember the horrible sinking feeling of having to listen to conference all day, and then drive down to the local ward house with the satellite dish to watch priesthood session. It was horrible.
I get it, like I said I hadn't done so in decades. But actually it was and is interesting an din a cynical way enjoyed it over all. Also I didn't realize how frail Eyring was, let alone Holland and Nelson. Oaks did not look to bad. Uchtdorf looks great for his age, and Bednar is a child compared to the rest.

We might see Uchtdorf for a long time if he says healthy, and if not Bednar might have a David O. McKay run.

Aside from that it seemed to me to be a pay your tithing conference, without ever mentioning the tithing. The words for tithing after the SEC embarrassment is "Temple Covenants" and "Wear your Garment." Coded pay to play plea in many if not most of the talks.

Personal question, is your name still on the rolls? And if you care to say, and I get it if you don't.... why ? I had my named removed over 30 years ago, and I asked my SP and even Russel M. Ballard who sent me a personal letter confirming my name being removed, to keep it private because I did not want to hurt my parents and siblings....I lived in So CA, and about a week later I got a phone call from my dad asking me how I could hurt my mother so much. So I understand the some thing are best left alone, in a way I wish I would have not done it. Oh' well!
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Maybe he was speaking as a prophet in one and not the other.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Dr. Sunstoned
Valiant A

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:26 am
It is good to know that I was not alone in my revulsion toward conference. Even as a TBM it was painful to sit through. Even now it is a triggering event when I hear someone using the "conference speak" voice.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Personal question, is your name still on the rolls? And if you care to say, and I get it if you don't.... why ?
I suppose if it were like having personal information on the Dark Web that could possibly lead to real problems I might consider removing it.

But otherwise, insisting that they remove it, especially if it takes a letter and procedure and all that, in a way legitimizes their silly clubhouse. It acknowledges their rules and in the act of leaving, they win one last point in forcing me to navigate their maze of procedures. The end result is my name is moved from one fake record and probably added to another fake record that's harder to access. If I put Oaks' name on my own fake club roster and start sending him letters telling him he owes club dues and the Lord isn't pleased, is he going to try to figure out how to get his name removed from my fake club? I highly doubt it. The Church has no more actual authority than my own fake club does, and so if my name is on their records it's meaningless.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Want to throw up ❕

Post by High Spy »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:42 am
Personal question, is your name still on the rolls? And if you care to say, and I get it if you don't.... why ?
I suppose if it were like having personal information on the Dark Web that could possibly lead to real problems I might consider removing it … But otherwise, insisting that they remove it, especially if it takes a letter and procedure and all that, in a way legitimizes their silly clubhouse. It acknowledges their rules and in the act of leaving, they win one last point in forcing me to navigate their maze of procedures. The end result is my name is moved from one fake record and probably added to another fake record that's harder to access. If I put Oaks' name on my own fake club roster and start sending him letters telling him he owes club dues and the Lord isn't pleased, is he going to try to figure out how to get his name removed from my fake club? I highly doubt it. The Church has no more actual authority than my own fake club does, and so if my name is on their records it's meaningless.
Actual words of wisdom have been spoken ❕
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:42 am
I suppose if it were like having personal information on the Dark Web that could possibly lead to real problems I might consider removing it.

But otherwise, insisting that they remove it, especially if it takes a letter and procedure and all that, in a way legitimizes their silly clubhouse. It acknowledges their rules and in the act of leaving, they win one last point in forcing me to navigate their maze of procedures. The end result is my name is moved from one fake record and probably added to another fake record that's harder to access. If I put Oaks' name on my own fake club roster and start sending him letters telling him he owes club dues and the Lord isn't pleased, is he going to try to figure out how to get his name removed from my fake club? I highly doubt it. The Church has no more actual authority than my own fake club does, and so if my name is on their records it's meaningless.
Yeah, I get it, I pretty much agree, but the one positive of doing so is that when they boast 17 million plus members, it exposes their lies more.