The Rosebud MEGATHREAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: Can we get a Rosebud mega thread like we did for Doubting Thomas?

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:32 am
huckelberry wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:33 am
.. I was thinking of a comparison with Highspy, well the difference is only relative...
No kidding. Did you see this???
High Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:06 am

Hear an anomaly, their an anomaly :lol:

(Old macDoogle had a farm, but not a bog) :mrgreen:

Karen was me ghostwriter and Javelin was my whacky way of sharing the glory of me little book, that was narrated by a PTP (Princess Type Person) whose latest big role was playing a friend of the friend of God on TV. Goofy Goblin was the illustrator and I wanted to credit him too, but the printer of my books didn’t initially print anything on the spine, and it was more frustration than I could deal with at the time. Said friend was named Parker, and searching PTP will find related posts where things were thoroughly checked out. Gary means spear making me the dumb stick with a point that just keeps on pointing to tuples which may or may not be a word. What do you think?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i have absolutely no clue at all what any of that means. None whatsoever. Even the "hear" and the "their" are beyond me. :D
Old MacDonald had a farm... Hear a moo there a moo everywhere a moo moo... Here an anomaly, there an anomaly, everywhere and anomaly...

The post being responded to was conjecture.

Edit: Don't ask me to explain... I don't bloody know. It vibed with how I perceived the message it was replying to.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: It’s really easy if you stick with telling the truth

Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 pm
I think the combination of the gravity of the claims combined with the refusal to provide facts likely generates a feeling of discomfort for all of us. In a way, it functions like gaslighting. Maybe whatever our opinions are of Dehlin and the Open Stories Foundation are wildly wrong and Dehlin is Satan incarnate and the Open Stories Foundation is deceiving us. That's what gaslighting does -- causes folks to distrust their judgment.
I disagree. The feeling of discomfort for me is NOT caused by doubting or distrusting my opinions, but rather that I doubt or distrust Rosebud's unsubstantiated statements of fact. Repeating those accusations without ever providing support makes me uncomfortable because it is a vehicle she uses to, repeatedly, unfairly and inappropriately try to damage the person she accuses.

I would prefer she provide facts to support her statements, or that she stop making unsupported accusations.
You've answered a question I asked elsewhere here. Feel free to ignore that question. This makes sense
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:09 pm
Having done my level best to understand the child abuse Rosebud is referring to, I think it's the claims of organized, ritualistic child abuse allegedly embedded in, or covered up by, the organization of the LDS church. We've discussed such claims, sometimes in great detail, from time to time here. And lots of folks here have expressed their opinions as to what is true or false about those claims.

Given that Mormon Stories has publicized cases like Adam Steed's and the harm caused by Jodi Hildebrandt, accusing him of covering up child abuse seems odd. But he may very well have stated his opinion that some claims of organized, ritualistic child abuse embedded in Mormonism are not true. in my opinion, Rosebud has transformed that into calling those who make such claims "crazy" (I don't trust for a second any characterization of Dehlin that comes from Rosebud) and "covering up" abuse that she apparently claims actually occurred. Rosebud won't give any specifics because the actual facts underlying her claim. Having control over the facts gives her power -- giving us the facts would give us the power to make up our own minds.

I think the combination of the gravity of the claims combined with the refusal to provide facts likely generates a feeling of discomfort for all of us. In a way, it functions like gaslighting. Maybe whatever our opinions are of Dehlin and the Open Stories Foundation are wildly wrong and Dehlin is Satan incarnate and the Open Stories Foundation is deceiving us. That's what gaslighting does -- causes folks to distrust their judgment.

In my official capacity, I wonder whether this perfectly normal and understandable feeling of discomfort provides a principled reason for censoring posts that we can apply with consistency. My general bias is toward letting people say what's on their minds. I also have a professionally-derived bias against making new rules to address a specific set of bad facts: lawyers say "bad facts make bad law." All of you who are chiming in are very helpful to me in thinking through the ramifications of action or inaction by us as moderators in this case. Thank you.
I think this is a very clear and concise response. Which explains the magnitude of what everyone is perceiving. I would feel sad to discover rosebud is telling the truth and not getting support. But only as far as, the doubt I feel. There is nothing to tip me over to either side of the fence. One side being that I would hate to assume a "victim" wasn't a victim and turn out to be a victim and the other side I feel is scattered and confusing. But in saying this rosebud has made it very clear that she isn't posting to discuss, she is posting to document and to attract the attention of the other side. In which case there really isn't anything to discuss.

But my responses to this are that she would receive a massive amount of support if she were able to express what it actually is that is going on without the insidious feeling rants. As a woman, I would be one of the first to support another woman who has been abused. The problem lies in how rosebud is presenting herself. So it leaves people on the fence and that's not really a place people want to be. And it's very hard to ignore.

I personally do not feel that people should be concerned that her posts might affect dehlins reputation. Or that they are really considered defamatory. If anything she's actually doing him a favour because she is actually making him look innocent. Which is a real shame because something in me wants to believe her.

No idea what is meant by the church covering up child abuse. I've never heard anything about the modern day church having some kind of ritualistic thing going on. But I have learned to not be surprised by this kind of thing given that churches in general appear to have a reputation of child abuse and that there is a LOT of childhood abuse being aired in relation to the media and childhood celebrities. There is a sense of a taste of disgust at how the world is appearing to be beneath the cracks.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:12 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:42 pm

Perhaps this is the answer? Let Rosebud do her worst (which won't amount to anything really). I don't think she has any proof of anything and she has a history of spouting off to gain the attention of her long lost lover. What a couple they would have made! And she would have had access to all that comfortable living! Anyway, if the board isn't in danger of anything other than having to comply with some subpoenas/discovery requests, then let her continue with her fake allegations. It's all BS anyway and people here can instantaneously detect it by asking the magic question of "where's the beef?"

As this issue has legal ramifications, I'd really appreciate input from the other lawyers on the board and anyone else who has followed this issue in terms of my reading of the law.
These issues are out of my area legally, but, I will look at Section 230 and commentary and then chime in if the issue isn't resolved by then.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:03 pm
Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:26 pm

I disagree. The feeling of discomfort for me is NOT caused by doubting or distrusting my opinions, but rather that I doubt or distrust Rosebud's unsubstantiated statements of fact. Repeating those accusations without ever providing support makes me uncomfortable because it is a vehicle she uses to, repeatedly, unfairly and inappropriately try to damage the person she accuses.

I would prefer she provide facts to support her statements, or that she stop making unsupported accusations.
You've answered a question I asked elsewhere here. Feel free to ignore that question. This makes sense
Sorry I missed your Q! Glad this answered it.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Marcus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:33 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:03 pm

Sorry I missed your Q! Glad this answered it.
No worries... I'm sure you'll come across it at some point meandering around. It's the only question I directed at you recently so you'll know it when you see it lol.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:28 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:12 pm

As this issue has legal ramifications, I'd really appreciate input from the other lawyers on the board and anyone else who has followed this issue in terms of my reading of the law.
These issues are out of my area legally, but, I will look at Section 230 and commentary and then chime in if the issue isn't resolved by then.
Thanks. Much appreciated.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Re: Why is it that the exMormon men think publicly lying about and defaming women is the best strategy?

Post by Moksha »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:08 pm
Moksha wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am
John stopped an office romance before it got out of hand...
??? I am curious at what point you consider his behavior in this situation to be 'in hand'? Was it when he was having some sort of relationship with someone who worked for him, but before he got her fired? Do you think his wife thought that part was 'in hand'?
Before bedroom hijinks and Margie got really hurt (assuming they did not have an open marriage). They should not have been smooching around the office cooler.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:16 pm

I would feel sad to discover rosebud is telling the truth and not getting support. But only as far as, the doubt I feel. There is nothing to tip me over to either side of the fence.
Rosebud has less than zero credibility on this board. The one time she posted evidence, she quickly deleted it once she realized it didn’t remotely prove her claims.

No one is losing sleep worrying that Rosebud might be right. She has cried wolf for over a decade here.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:47 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:16 pm

I would feel sad to discover rosebud is telling the truth and not getting support. But only as far as, the doubt I feel. There is nothing to tip me over to either side of the fence.
Rosebud has less than zero credibility on this board. The one time she posted evidence, she quickly deleted it once she realized it didn’t remotely prove her claims.

No one is losing sleep worrying that Rosebud might be right. She has cried wolf for over a decade here.
As much as I supported her general, first argument regarding losing a job due to a workplace romance, I am fully in agreement with this now. She no longer has any credibility with regard to her ongoing and escalating accusations.