Why does having a megathread feel offensive to people?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Why does having a megathread feel offensive to people?

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

It's freaking cool. You get your own forum essentially. Like your own plot of land on the MDB. Or DMB. Whatever we are calling it.
msnobody
Prophet

Re: Why does having a megathread feel offensive to people?

Post by msnobody »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:54 pm
It's freaking cool. You get your own forum essentially. Like your own plot of land on the MDB. Or DMB. Whatever we are calling it.
I’ve often thought I’d like a megathread myself. I can’t find the quote that I would like my megathread called. It’s probably a line right out of the Book of Mormon, or something.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

That's because you're interested in having a discussion. People who get megathreads do little but derail other threads in order to pursue their pet grievances. Or rather, their pet grievance. Usually it's just one thing, or tight cluster of similar things. Since the main point is to stop all other discussions and force people to deal with their own irrational outrage, the megathread is the supreme insult. Imagine if you're an unhinged person seeking attention by pulling a hard left into incoming traffic on the freeway, but every time you jerk the wheel, a mobile patch of road comes out of nowhere to scoop up you're vehicle, and then merge you into a single lane with plenty of distance ahead and behind.

You'd be outraged to no end if that happened. Frothing violently. Nothing could be worse than not ruining the day of everyone else just to be the center of attention with your problem.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
There are pros and cons which is often the case with everything, so one adapts to make the best of the situation. Replying in Spy’s MT doesn’t bump the thread spy deemed worthy of reply. This can be remedied by linking to the reply within the original thread. Soon I’ll give this plan a go, and suggest searching unique keywords such as Daybell, Propeller or PTP that transcend a single thread.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

msnobody wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
I’ve often thought I’d like a megathread myself. I can’t find the quote that I would like my megathread called. It’s probably a line right out of the Book of Mormon, or something.
I think what I was looking for may be a John Taylor quote about non-LDS Christian’s being a sounding brass and tinkling cymbals.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

If you want your own megathread, you could just start one. 8-)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

I agree, in a way, but this forum deals with Mormonism which pushes many buttons.

Moderators are like people that tend to their garden on a daily basis and they if they do see something new, they have special skills to determine weed of flower, or replant the little flower in the garden on the other side of the house. Bonus points for work without pay.

Sometimes an issue appears and an entity logs on with energy and excitement. But the issue is already posted and it's not common to see two threads about the same things a few inches apart. Again, to the moderators, bonus points for their work and skills.

At times individuals are dealing with harm and pain and want to post. Moderators can spot that and can be very sensitive at times. I benefited from that during the previous twelve months when I found Dr. Shades forum was alive and well. I was hurt and went from pillar to post and I'm sure the moderators read and said wait, what? what do we have here? Moderators and posters made some suggestions from my posts. Bonus points awarded to them.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.