What's with older men and younger women:

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
yellowstone123
Bishop

What's with older men and younger women:

Post by yellowstone123 »

A lot of recent discussion in different forums about this subject.

Certainly, it's brought up when discussing 19th century Mormonism. And if people are interested in that, I suggest looking at American history, especially American history in the 19th century.

I remember reading how James Buchanan courted the niece of Dolley Madison, wife of James Madison. Mr. Buchanan realized the differences in ages and wrote her a poem breaking off the romance which basically said that someone her own age would bring her much more happiness. Many said he was gay because he didn't marry but he did like women, but life took him in many directions. First, he was an uncle who tried to either care for or send off to school many nieces and nephews for some because the passing of family members, or he became their guardian. He was also a U.S. Senator, Minster to England and Secretary of State. Some say he was the worst President of the United States, ever. I say he was the 15th President of the United States who tried to keep the country from sinking. His niece, Harriet Lane, acted as First Lady.

President Benjamin Harrison was the 25th President of the United States. After his wife died, he married her niece. He was 62 and she was 37. A 25-year difference.

But the Presidents marriages were always within the law, not outside it.

Like the 1835 D & C said, after the death of the spouse the other is free to remarry.

The one that almost brought a huge scandal was the 2nd wife of Andrew Johnson: "They had made an honest mistake, as friends well understood, but whispers of adultery and bigamy followed Rachel as Jackson's career advanced in both politics ..."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the-White House ... n-jackson/

edit to add President Andrew Johnson's wife, Rachel died prior to his inauguration so the First Lady was his niece Emily Donelson. Lots of young women in Washington D.C had prominent roles during the 19th century: Harriet Lane for James Buchanan; Emily Donelson for Andrew Johnson, even Kate Chase was Bell of the Ball when her father Samuel Chase was part of Lincoln's Cabinet. At the same time, Mormons were active in parts of the country. It fascinates to see what Mormons were doing one year and what was happening on the East Coast. Growing up Mormon it's all about Mormon history and the persecution they endured. Many of the young ladies listed above were bright, young and part of the White House scene but their life later on, like so many, whether in or out of the church was extremely painful. An Elderly Kate Chase was selling eggs door to door to provide for her disabled daughter.
Last edited by yellowstone123 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
drumdude
God

Re: What's with older men and younger women:

Post by drumdude »

I think this quote and photo drive home the point that at least one of Joseph’s affairs wasn’t really with a woman at all:

It seems that even for the time period, those around Joseph felt he was acting outside the boundaries of decency.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

There must be something in the Sacrament water.

Russell M.Nelson robbed the cradle with his second wife Wendy. Russell is almost 30 years her senior. Prophets love much younger women.

I’m sure Wendy views the marriage as her duty. No doubt she is counting the days until she and Sheri Dew can finally buy a cottage together and spend the rest of their days taking long walks on the beach and evenings by the fire listening to the Indigo Girls.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 pm
There must be something in the Sacrament water.

Russell M.Nelson robbed the cradle with his second wife Wendy. Russell is almost 30 years her senior. Prophets love much younger women.

I’m sure Wendy views the marriage as her duty. No doubt she is counting the days until she and Sheri Dew can finally buy a cottage together and spend the rest of their days taking long walks on the beach and evenings by the fire listening to the Indigo Girls.
But isn't there something between Wendy and Sherry Dew with real estate and houses. What's the issue with Russel, Sherry and Wendy?

JFK once said something like that the press coming forward with stories that embarrassed the administration caused some issues and they could be abrasive at times but they were needed to keep democracy flowing and keeping the administration honest. Of course I heard one GA say something like the church was not a democracy. Another said something like refrain from criticizing the leaders even if it's true.

But Sherry Dew has made a lot of money doing the Church biddings. I remember when the Mission President Philanders - something, was spending too much time with young female missionaries, flying his plane to visit them. An older married man frequently visiting young females might indicate an appearance of impropriety. Of course it was and he quickly got the boot and I remember reading that the church immediately sent Sherri Dew down to speak to those who felt harmed about the importances of forgiveness. Forgiveness is appropriate many times and is likely needed by all but if they sent her down to the Caribbean just to prevent lawsuits then that's not right. Don't file a lawsuit, just forgive. Okay, you stop having attorneys send out letters saying we own that domain and like things. Don't send out letters, just forgive.

I heard the mission presidents wife was having health problems and the church sent in attorneys for a quickie divorce and ensured she got the best medical care. Bonus points awarded to the church for that, but what about the others.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

that's not really true once you understand all of those different discussions are part of the same monotonous megathread.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:33 am
that's not really true once you understand all of those different discussions are part of the same monotonous megathread.
I tried reading it, and it's over a hundred pages. Does the thread have Cliff Notes?
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

yellowstone123 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:01 am
Gadianton wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:33 am

I tried reading it, and it's over a hundred pages. Does the thread have Cliff Notes?
Yes, it does.
Providing a summary for Thomas's grievances, honorentheos wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:03 am

That's probably it. It has nothing to do with seeing a dude whose board existance is defined by a watershed event involving a 17-year-old Hispanic girl. On the one side of said event are threads primarily arguing for normalizing attraction to teenagers by men in their twenties or thirties. On the other side of said event are primarily threads arguing society is ignoring male loneliness which would be solved if society would just accept older men should be in relationships with younger women. And younger women would be better off if they went for older men, too.

Guess that Gordian knot will never be undone.

ETA: To be fair, you've always been consistent in using titles from papers and articles you didn't read to make tenuous connections to your position. So you've got that going for you.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

Thank you, Morley.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

More on Everybody Wang Chung's point, President Snow almost exclusively married teenagers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ?rdt=32867

There truly must be something in the Mormon sacrament water.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Older man / younger women, isn't an exclusively Mormon thing. What older men get younger women? The ones that can.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.