Pissing on "Frenchy"'s Grave?; Or, a Case Study in Mopologetic Selfishness

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Pissing on "Frenchy"'s Grave?; Or, a Case Study in Mopologetic Selfishness

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Greetings, Friends and Colleagues.

Spring is officially here. Warm weather seems imminent, and for many, the memories of the Easter Holiday are still fresh in the memory. For some Easter represents little more than egg hunts, chocolate bunnies, and perhaps a nice ham for Sunday dinner. For others--for believers--Easter represents Christ's atonement, and the idea that there will be life after death. And then there is what it means for Mopologists.

I'm sure that there are some here who recall Dr. Peterson's post entitled, "Elegaic Thoughts on Why It Matters So Very, Very Much." In it, DCP recounts a story that he has told more than once, in which he and his wife, while visiting his parents' graves, bump into a chap named "Frenchy" who is also at the cemetery in order to visit the grave of his late wife:
DCP wrote:I think it was on our first visit to the cemetery after my mother’s passing that my wife and I, driving up the rather steep hill toward my parents’ graves, noticed an elderly man who was toiling painfully up the road. We pulled over and asked him whether he could use a ride. Yes, he said, he could. He was walking to put flowers on the grave of his wife, whose loss, it soon became clear, he still felt with acute pain.

We invited him to ride with us and asked him to tell us where to turn. To our astonishment, his wife’s grave turned out to be about four or five feet from my parents’ burial place. It was separated from their graves by his own tombstone, with his name, “Frenchy M. Morrell,” and his birthdate inscribed on it but, obviously, no death date. We talked for a while, and he spoke movingly about how much he missed his wife, Wanda, who had died in 1985. He was horribly lonely, and he longed to be with her again. We offered him a ride back down the hill and to wherever he wanted to go, but he had planned on spending several hours there by his wife’s grave, and he declined our offer. We never saw him again.

We’ve returned, and I’ve come back alone, many times since then. Whenever I’m in southern California, if I can do it, I visit the cemetery. Every time for years, I looked to see whether Frenchy had finally gotten his wish.

Visiting in the spring of 2013, we immediately noticed that the grass next to my mother’s grave was fresh, and so, with some excitement, I hurriedly walked over to confirm what I suspected: Frenchy was gone. He had died on 30 August 2012.

I was deeply happy for him.
I have already expressed criticism about this story. In essence, I find it rather sadistic that Dr. Peterson would actually *excitedly* check to see whether poor, lonesome 'Frenchy' had at last "kicked the bucket." Rather than wishing that Frenchy would find some kind of solace in the years he had left, Dr. Peterson was rather giddily hoping that the guy would die as soon as possible. (A hope that, as Dean Robbers correctly pointed out on another thread, is never extended to aging LDS General Authorities.)

But it turns out that there are other elements to this story. Thanks to the work of an anonymous "Informant," some new information has come to light. It turns out that the Mopologetic selfishness at the core of this narrative goes beyond perhaps anything we have ever seen from them. We have known all along that their work is fundamentally self-serving and that they will freely exploit vulnerable people to accomplish their aims, or to craft highly tendentious "narratives" that suit their agenda.

Shortly before wrapping up his post and wishing his readers a "Happy Easter," Dr. Peterson notes that he placed flowers on Frenchy's grave:
We took some of the flowers that we’d brought for my parents that day and placed them on his grave.
Note that this was in 2013. So, what happened after that? DCP writes that
"After twenty-seven long years of sorrowful separation, he [i.e., Frenchy] was with his wife again. And my faith tells me that he really is, not merely metaphorically.
Except not quite, right? Recall that one part of the LDS Church's "Four-Fold Mission" is to "Redeem the dead." This would mean that, in order for Frenchy to *actually* reunite with his wife, per DCP's wishes, that someone would have had to do his ordinances for him and his wife. So, did someone do that?

According to my "Informant," the answer is yes: per Family Search--someone, whose name my Informant did not recognize, created an entry for Frenchy in 2017--a good 5 years after DCP placed flowers on his grave. This raises a question: If Dr. Peterson was really so happy for Frenchy, and if he truly does believe in the Church's four-fold mission, then why didn't *he* do the priesthood work for Frenchy? It seems a bit like he hung the poor, lonely widower out to dry, doesn't it? And it's worth bearing in mind that during all these years, Dr. Peterson has maintained his usual busy schedule of flying around the globe, dining out, and courting donors for his various film projects. I guess he was too busy to be bothered with something as trivial as ordinances for this old man?

Luckily, it turns out that the Mopologists have what might be generously described as "lackeys." According to my Informant, the frequent "SeN" contributor known as "t. tangata neneva" was quite busy in an effort to take care of these matters. Tangata Neneva was so busy and so zealous, in fact, that he actually deleted the original 2017 record so that he could create a new one. As my Informant put it:
Family Search indicates that [neneva] was quite busy on March 31. He changed the death, added a source (Find a Grave Index), added a relationship (Frenchy's marriage), and then did a merge (deleting a record for Frenchy Marceau Morrell). Notes next to these changes state: "I added before finding an existing record." He also added an alternate name: "Frenchy M Morrell."

Family Search indicates that the original record was created in 2017....Frenchy was married twice, so two sealings will need to be done.
Why on Earth would n. tangata neneva go to the trouble? The most logical answer would seem to be: so as to kiss Dr. Peterson's butt. Indeed, Neneva writes about his doings in the comments second on DCP's "Why It Matters" post:
n. tangata neneva wrote:I am grateful for the restored Gospel of the risen Lord. I am grateful for the priesthood keys that were delivered. This past month, I have been assigned to work in the sealing offices. It has been a phenomenal month observing the binding authority of priesthood keys. I am grateful that Brother "Frenchy" Marceau (1925-2012) and Sister Wanda Dale Hamilton Morrell (1926-1986) can be sealed (they are both in FamilySearch, waiting for mortal family to discover them).
Of course "mortal family" *had* already discovered them: the surname of that discovering family happens to be "Peterson." Again, one has to ask: does the Four-Fold Mission of the Church not actually matter? Filmmaking, dining out, hosting parties for Mormon Interpreter---these things all take precedence, I guess?

Meanwhile, what *about* Frenchy? In the end, he seems like little more than a pawn in the Mopologists' games. Dr. Peterson did not care enough about him to bother with his temple work: in fact, he left Frenchy hanging out to dry for over a decade--merely recycling his story over and over again for rhetorical purposes and to score points with his most slavish disciples. And it worked: so zealous and anxious to please was tangata neneva that he actually deleted a pre-existing record for Frenchy! And there may be reason to think that the original record was created by one of Frenchy's family members. Scoring Mopologetic points would thus seem to take priority over a family's wishes for how to honor their dead.

In any case, the selfishness running through this chain of events is staggering. Dr. Peterson in particular ought to be ashamed of himself--not only is he shirking the Brethren's direct statement that he should be serving a Senior Mission, but he apparently also thinks that the Four-Fold Mission needn't apply to him (and bear in mind that he's posted many times about visiting various temples: I guess one has to assume that he was merely there for "sightseeing," as it were?).

All that said, I do see a possible path forward for the Mopologists. As my Informant pointed out, "Frenchy was married twice, so two sealings will need to be done." It seems to me that Dr. Peterson and/or tangata could redeem themselves here by taking care of these ordinances and ensuring that Frenchy gets to be a polygamist beyond the veil. Will they do it, though? We will have to wait and see.

In the meantime, we can continue to reflect upon just what it means, exactly, when Dr. Peterson says that "It Matters So Very, Very Much."
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Re: Pissing on "Frenchy"'s Grave?; Or, a Case Study in Mopologetic Selfishness

Post by I Have Questions »

This is priceless. Frenchy was married twice! Which wife does Peterson think he missed so very much? Instead of dying did Frenchy remarry and live happily till his death? Peterson feels himself above serving a senior mission as requested by Apostles. But he obviously also sees himself above doing temple work for people he’s acquainted with. He could’ve found Frenchy’s mortal relations and taught them about the gospel. Why does he not care so very much enough to actually put some effort in to actually living the gospel?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

So, DCP has the opportunity to actually do some real missionary work, but instead decides to write a blog post over a decade later, humble bragging about how awesome he is by showing empathy to Frenchy. Meanwhile, Frenchy and his two wives are in Spirit Prison waiting for someone (anyone) to do their temple work.

Next, we have one of DCP's "most valuable commentators" caught red-handed falsifying poor Frenchy's Church records to score points with his hero, DCP.

Good freaking Lord!! Folks, you just can't make this stuff up.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Yes, and what is Dr. Peterson's reaction when he's informed about what Tangata did? He exclaims, "Wonderful!" Not only that, he wants to make sure that he's portrayed in the most positive light to Frenchy's surviving relatives:
tangata neneva wrote:Dr P. May I have permission to cut and paste a couple of paragraphs out of this blog post and share it with a patron on FamilySearch. It might get added to Frenchy's memories...If you are willing, let me know if you want to be identified or remain anonymous.
Daniel Peterson wrote:Absolutely you may share it.

And I can remain anonymous -- that would be fine -- or it might be more helpful for a relative if my name were identified.

Good idea.
Right. If he's anonymous, then how can he take any of the credit? Gee, is it possible for any of this stuff to be any *more* self-serving?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Well, well! Dr. Peterson responds:
As always, [Dr. Scratch] — who is maliciously creative but not stupid (at least, not in the conventional sense) — has attempted to twist that little story into a yet another redundant demonstration that I’m callously cruel, hypocritical, and just generally depraved and of monstrously bad character.
No need to "twist" anything, Prof. P.: relaying the facts is more than sufficient.
(I’m not inclined to get into the details here. The myth that he has tried to create — backed by revelations from supposed “informants,” no less — is so convoluted that I honestly don’t even quite understand what I’m supposed to have done, or why I did it. Or didn’t do it. Or something. Anyway, it’s bizarre, and it’s flatly false.
He doesn't "even quite understand" it, but nonetheless knows somehow that it's "false"? Maybe try to understand before dismissing? Or is that something that he only asks Gemli to do?
Anyhow, one of the accusations launched in this particular Stalker attack on me is that, when I expressed happiness at the fact that — as I believe — Frenchy Morrell has finally been reunited with his wife, Wanda, who had died nearly three decades before, I was lying.
Who said he was "lying"? I've said that he behaved selfishly, but that's not the same as dishonesty. Gee, I wonder why he didn't relay the actual accusation to his readers?
How does he know that I was lying? Because, being a Latter-day Saint, I know that Frenchy Morrell won’t be reunited with his wife, since they weren’t sealed for all eternity in a Latter-day Saint temple. (I think, in fact, that I’m supposed to feel contemptuously superior about this, and to rejoice in the inferiority of non-Latter-day Saints. Or something like that. I
He *does* "feel contemptuously superior" hence all the statistics he cites about how religious people live happier lives.
So I think that I’ll state here what I actually think about this question: No, Frenchy and Wanda hadn’t been sealed in a Latter-day Saint temple. But that doesn’t mean that they won’t see or know each other in the world of spirits. Absence of a temple sealing simply means that spouses are no longer married (“till death do us part,” after all) and that families aren’t organized any more as families. (But vicarious temple dealings can and will be offered to all who have gone on before us.) However, I’ve read hundreds upon hundreds of accounts of near-death experiences in which those who have entered into the next life have been met upon their arrival by previously deceased spouses and other family members. So I have absolutely no doubt that Frenchy was greeted by Wanda, and that they were reunited after their long separation. Which is wonderfully good news. And eventually, they will be offered the opportunity to have their marriage made eternal.
LOL. So he's happy, and finds it to be "wonderfully good news" that Frenchy and either Wife #1 or Wife #2 are going to be reunited, but he also understands that their marriage has essentially been dissolved. They're just friends or acquaintances, I guess? Their actual marriage relationship no longer counts?

But it *could*, of course, and that was the point of my OP: Dr. Peterson *could* have taken care of those "vicarious temple dealings." But he didn't. He was content, instead, to merely milk this story for personal gain, and for "clicks" on his blog. And yet, all along, he has believed that Frenchy and one of his wives have essentially had a "celestial divorce" inflicted upon them. Perhaps most troubling of all is his descriptor in the last sentence: "eventually." How long, one wonders, will they have to wait? Does Dr. Peterson assume that they'll just shrug this "celestial divorce" off as a minor inconvenience? That they will blame themselves for being "idiots" who weren't enlightened enough to understand that the only way to have an eternal marriage was to obediently follow LDS teachings?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Is there a formal duty assigned to Mormons to perform Temple ordinances on the deceased when they are swamped with apologetic duties? Besides, the Temple in Münchenbuchsee, Switzerland may have been busy. So there.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Frenchy - “can someone please offer me a temple dealing(sic) so I can please kiss my wife again? I’m so sorry I didn’t follow the religion that a treasure seeking philanderer founded.”
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I'd like to see more Christlike service from the Proprietor, and less posing for the camera.
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:55 am
I'd like to see more Christlike service from the Proprietor, and less posing for the camera.
Well said, as always, Doctor Robbers. Signing up for a senior mission would be an even bigger watershed moment than the dissolution of FARMS.