Numbers...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Savior (mortal ministry)

Numbers...

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

So I was laid in bed. Thinking about favourite colours. I don't understand favourite colours because I guess I've never had a favourite colour. I tried it out at uni when I realised I might have been a bit odd to not have a favourite colour. So I pretended orange was my favourite colour because I had orange post it notes at the time I decided to experiment with having a favourite colour.

I think the reason I find it difficult to understand is because to me, there are so many different versions of the same colour. Like Jamie says his favourite colour is purple. But he has never stated which purple. There are so many. Some are garish. But then, also, a colour looks different in different light and feels different in different seasons. Like Christmas green. I love it, but only at Christmas time. In the summer it's a bit meh. I absolutely adore the yellow leaves on the ground in autumn. In the right light, if I stand in the middle of them they glow. And I feel wow. But in no other situation do I find that effect with that colour.

So I can't choose a favourite colour.

Anyway... That led onto me thinking about high spys favourite numbers and how I don't like the number 52. And I thought about people having favourite numbers and how that might be similar to having favourite colours but with less variables. I don't have a favourite number by the way. I did think that I have a connection with the number 8 because there are 3 number 8s in my date of birth. But then there are negative memories with the number 8.

So back to the number 52. I was thinking I don't like that number. It turns my soul when I see it. But that is probably because I lived in house number 52 as a child. And the car my mum had that my dad smashed up had the number 52 in the registration plate number. Then I was thinking about other house numbers and I was thinking I'm sure I lived at number 57 on a different street which is one of high spys numbers. And I picked up my phone from the other side of my room to Google to check the address and it was on 52 percent charge at exactly 22.22 pm. I took a screenshot. The last time I was thinking about high spy and his numbers, I took a screenshot at 22.22 pm.

Strange.

Imwashingmypirate
Savior (mortal ministry)

Re: Numbers...

One house was 57.

Was 52, then ? Unknown (temp hostel type places), Then 59, then 105, then 55, some other uni houses I can't remember, then 67 then 27, then 67 again (different city to the previous 67 but I didn't notice that til now, had to go look up old emails for previous addresses), then 57, (155, temp) then 35.
That's kinda freaky.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

My youngest has similar reactions to numbers. It's almost like some kind of synesthesia.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Imwashingmypirate
Savior (mortal ministry)

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:08 pm
My youngest has similar reactions to numbers. It's almost like some kind of synesthesia.

I wonder if it's to do with connections in senses. And connections we create over time.
I sense my dad when I think of the number 52 which is why I don't like it. Not the numbers fault but it has that energy. Like if someone said a random number, like say 45, what comes to mind? The more you associate the number to something the more you sense that energy when the number comes to mind? Maybe?

I find sometimes I get urges to lick art if it particularly appeals to me. Not often and I don't actually lick it.

I can hear my pain. not literally through my ears. I have chronic pain and I can associate a frequency and amplitude to different pains. Like UTIs have a high pitched pain. Sometimes a quiet high pitch. Which actually hurts more than a low pitched loud pain. The pain can be louder but duller and be less distressing than a very quiet high pitched pain. I think most people have a sense of how their pain sounds but my family thought I was weird when I tried to explain it.

I can smell and taste things that I am looking at sometimes and can pull memories of smells and it's as if I can actually smell the smell except I'm not really smelling it.

Think all my senses are heightened. I get visual snow, lots of photo bleaching and tinnitus. I hear lights and plugs buzzing sometimes. I have sensitive skin and can sense subtle changes in my body.
High Spy
Apostle

Post by High Spy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:06 pm
One house was 57.

Was 52, then ? Unknown (temp hostel type places), Then 59, then 105, then 55, some other uni houses I can't remember, then 67 then 27, then 67 again (different city to the previous 67 but I didn't notice that til now, had to go look up old emails for previous addresses), then 57, (155, temp) then 35.
That's kinda freaky.
3052 South Davis BLVD was my first address. Today a new work buddy told me his house was built in 1957 and our Columbine duplex numbers both begin with 38. 3 eights surely is a strange combination.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Please read this.
The Baloney Detection Kit: Carl
Sagan’s Rules for BS-Busting and Critical Thinking

Necessary cognitive fortification against propaganda, pseudoscience, and general falsehood.

BY MARIA POPOVA

https://www3.nd.edu/~ghaeffel/Baloney.pdf
Imwashingmypirate
Savior (mortal ministry)

Marcus wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:13 am
Please read this.
The Baloney Detection Kit: Carl
Sagan’s Rules for BS-Busting and Critical Thinking

Necessary cognitive fortification against propaganda, pseudoscience, and general falsehood.

BY MARIA POPOVA

https://www3.nd.edu/~ghaeffel/Baloney.pdf
It's only a discussion Marcus. A matter of coincidence, probably is baloney, doesn't really need to affect you. I saw you've changed your reply. When I said freaky I was refering to every house number I've lived in having either a 5 or a 7 in the number. I understand there is no connection between numbers I notice and numbers other people notice. It's just interesting that we can feel feelings and emotions about colours, numbers and objects in a way that people can assign certain elements and characteristics to their being and define these things as being part of them or their favourite.

Are these things what makes us who we are?

I don't know who I am beyond what I do each day. Is that because I don't have a favourite colour, a particular style of clothing, I like various genres of music, I think the only thing about me that is consistent through the years is my addiction for Bombay bad boy pot noodles.

What's your favourite colour?

Edit... Lol. B o m b a y b a d b o y.
Imwashingmypirate
Savior (mortal ministry)

High Spy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:39 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:06 pm
One house was 57.

That's kinda freaky.
3052 South Davis BLVD was my first address. Today a new work buddy told me his house was built in 1957 and our Columbine duplex numbers both begin with 38. 3 eights surely is a strange combination.
My dob is 8/12/88 (D/MM/YY).
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:46 pm
Marcus wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:13 am
Please read this.
It's only a discussion Marcus. A matter of coincidence, probably is baloney, doesn't really need to affect you. I saw you've changed your reply. When I said freaky I was refering to every house number I've lived in having either a 5 or a 7 in the number. I understand there is no connection between numbers I notice and numbers other people notice. It's just interesting that we can feel feelings and emotions about colours, numbers and objects in a way that people can assign certain elements and characteristics to their being and define these things as being part of them or their favourite.

Are these things what makes us who we are?

I don't know who I am beyond what I do each day. Is that because I don't have a favourite colour, a particular style of clothing, I like various genres of music, I think the only thing about me that is consistent through the years is my addiction for Bombay bad boy pot noodles.

What's your favourite colour?

Edit... Lol. B o m b a y b a d b o y.
And my contribution to the discussion, iamwashingmypirate, is to note that yes, attributing meaning to random coincidence is indeed baloney. You noticed my edit because Sagan says it better than I do. My expressing my opinion shouldn't really affect you either. But Sagan's work is amazing to read about, so I'd still recommend that.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

My inclination is toward Marcus’ way of thinking.

If someone really had some sort of supernatural connection with numbers, then they’d probably try to use it to win the lottery. Encryption, lotteries, probability, quantum mechanics… all of these things are based around numbers and when you look at it objectively, it’s all completely oblivious to our minds trying to make patterns where none exist.

That’s not to say certain numbers aren’t related to natural phenomena. But it’s not the numbers creating that phenomena, it’s the numbers that describe the phenomena.