Interpreter needs a quarter million to finish Brother Brigham’s film

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
User avatar
Everybody Wang Chung
God
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:52 am

Re: Interpreter needs a quarter million to finish Brother Brigham’s film

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:25 pm
If Hugh Grant picked up a role in the film, would it help or hurt the film's prospects?
It would definitely help put more non-Mormon butts in the seats, especially during President Nelson’s upcoming 10 day media blackout.

It will be interesting to see if DCP follows the Prophet’s upcoming admonition and stops publicly encouraging people to see his film during opening weekend/week. Will DCP put profits over following the Prophet?

We all know how he reacted (crapped on) and disregarded the Prophet’s counsel to serve a senior mission.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God
Posts: 5779
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:29 am

Re: Interpreter needs a quarter million to finish Brother Brigham’s film

Post by drumdude »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:59 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:25 pm
If Hugh Grant picked up a role in the film, would it help or hurt the film's prospects?
It would definitely help put more non-Mormon butts in the seats, especially during President Nelson’s upcoming 10 day media blackout.

It will be interesting to see if DCP follows the Prophet’s upcoming admonition and stops publicly encouraging people to see his film during opening weekend/week. Will DCP put profits over following the Prophet?

We all know how he reacted (crapped on) and disregarded the Prophet’s counsel to serve a senior mission.
Don’t you know he’s serving the church in a super special senior mission??
Philo Sofee
God
Posts: 5187
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:18 am

Re: Interpreter needs a quarter million to finish Brother Brigham’s film

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:59 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:25 pm
If Hugh Grant picked up a role in the film, would it help or hurt the film's prospects?
It would definitely help put more non-Mormon butts in the seats, especially during President Nelson’s upcoming 10 day media blackout.

It will be interesting to see if DCP follows the Prophet’s upcoming admonition and stops publicly encouraging people to see his film during opening weekend/week. Will DCP put profits over following the Prophet?

We all know how he reacted (crapped on) and disregarded the Prophet’s counsel to serve a senior mission.
A media blackout for 10 days?! Seriously? :lol: :lol: :lol: What on earth good will that possibly do? Why not just tell them to get off it entirely? Ludicrous is as ludicrous does.
User avatar
Rivendale
God
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Interpreter needs a quarter million to finish Brother Brigham’s film

Post by Rivendale »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:04 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:59 pm


It would definitely help put more non-Mormon butts in the seats, especially during President Nelson’s upcoming 10 day media blackout.

It will be interesting to see if DCP follows the Prophet’s upcoming admonition and stops publicly encouraging people to see his film during opening weekend/week. Will DCP put profits over following the Prophet?

We all know how he reacted (crapped on) and disregarded the Prophet’s counsel to serve a senior mission.
A media blackout for 10 days?! Seriously? :lol: :lol: :lol: What on earth good will that possibly do? Why not just tell them to get off it entirely? Ludicrous is as ludicrous does.
Look how well the vaccine mask promotion went over for the leaders.
User avatar
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary
Posts: 2167
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Interpreter needs a quarter million to finish Brother Brigham’s film

Post by Dr. Shades »

Rivendale wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:30 pm
Look how well the vaccine mask promotion went over for the leaders.
What's a "vaccine mask?"
"A lifetime of being taught to follow the prophet has real consequences and turns them into natural Trump followers."
--drumdude, 06-23-2024
User avatar
Rivendale
God
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Interpreter needs a quarter million to finish Brother Brigham’s film

Post by Rivendale »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:02 am
Rivendale wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:30 pm
Look how well the vaccine mask promotion went over for the leaders.
What's a "vaccine mask?"
Vaccine and mask recommendations. Poor grammar.
User avatar
Moksha
God
Posts: 6281
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:13 am
Location: Koloburbia

Re: Interpreter needs a quarter million to finish Brother Brigham’s film

Post by Moksha »

I Have Questions wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:15 pm
I can’t think of any measure that they could use that the film would rate as “highly successful” against.
The Tim Ballard film has been the most successful LDS effort to date.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
User avatar
Tom
2nd Quorum of 70
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:41 pm

Re: Interpreter needs a quarter million to finish Brother Brigham’s film

Post by Tom »

Tom wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:08 pm
Tom wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:55 am
Don’t sleep on the video clip: https://vimeo.com/880637147/76c80d1778?share=copy

I did not spot James Strang in the clip, but I trust he’ll be in the film. (The Six Days in August website identifies him as one of six “central figures of this true story.”)
The first movie poster:Image

Joseph and Brigham never looked so good. I’m looking forward to October.
The second movie poster has been released:

Image

What sounds better? "From the Makers of Witnesses" or "From the Creators of Witnesses"? How about "From the Minds of the Creators of Witnesses"?

I suggest that the next movie poster include glossy portraits of Sidney Rigdon, James Strang, and Oliver Cowdery as three of the six "central figures of this true story." Or perhaps a depiction of Brigham Young's face transforming to resemble Joseph Smith's visage.

The film's IMDB entry lists several intriguing characters, including "Gifted Girl (age 19)," "Gifted Girl (age 9)," "Sharp's Henchman," "Norwegian Man," and "Blindman." Based on the cast list, I am now fairly confident that the film will depict a blind man jumping up during Brigham Young's speech to proclaim, "Joseph is not dead; he's speaking to us!" or the like. See Ivan J. Barrett, Joseph Smith and the Restoration: A History of the LDS Church to 1846 (Provo, Utah: BYU Press, 1973), 627. (Incidentally, Lynne Watkins Jorgensen's collection of transfiguration testimonies does not make note of a blind man bearing such a witness.)
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
drumdude
God
Posts: 5779
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:29 am

Re: Interpreter needs a quarter million to finish Brother Brigham’s film

Post by drumdude »

I’m worried the release will be so small that no cinema near me will be showing it. This may be the obsession board but I doubt any of us are going to travel just to see it.
User avatar
Tom
2nd Quorum of 70
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:41 pm

Re: Interpreter needs a quarter million to finish Brother Brigham’s film

Post by Tom »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:28 pm
I’m worried the release will be so small that no cinema near me will be showing it. This may be the obsession board but I doubt any of us are going to travel just to see it.
Those are entirely valid concerns, drumdude. I confess that I’m a bit of a cinemaphile (it doesn’t hurt that my soulmate majored in film), so I will likely undertake a pilgrimage, if needed, to see it. However, I doubt that more than a handful of my ward neighbors would make the same sacrifice. They’re not as faithful as I am.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Post Reply