Joy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Joy

Post by Res Ipsa »

[M]en are, that they might have joy. 2 Nephi 2:25
in this life I shall have joy.... 5 Moses 10. (Spoken by Adam.)

One of the things I really liked about being LDS was the notion that the purpose of people was to have joy. Not just joy in heaven, but joy right here on earth. I hadn't thought much about joy lately -- the pandemic, our treatment of migrant children, political division and hatred didn't seem to leave much room for joy.

I was reminded of joy last week a couple of times. The first was folks standing in line to vote in Philadelphia and other cities. There they were, out in a pandemic, standing in long lines, doing their best to stay six feet apart, surrounded by vicious politics. They had every right to feel cranky, irritated, put upon. And maybe some of them did.

But others....danced. When they had every right to be miserable and feel sorry for themselves, they danced! And it was joyful.

I saw that same look of joy on the face of Kamala Harris when she practically danced onto the stage to speak to the people on Saturday.

It made start to wonder. Where was all the joy? Why had I forgotten about joy as a purpose?

I went for a walk the next day. It was one of those perfect NW Washington fall days. The sky was a brilliant blue. The maples were bright yellow, and the leaves that had fallen crackled on the ground when I stepped on them. My face felt warm from the sun and cold from the breeze at the same time. Lake Washington was beautiful, and the mountains were actually purple majesties. And I felt the joy of just being an insignificant speck of carbon that was lucky enough to see the beauty, hear the crackle, feel the sun and the wind, and experience them with such an intense, happy feeling.

I thought about a metaphor I'd learned from Andy Puddicombe, co-founder of Headspace. Joy is like the blue sky. Clouds may get in the way of joy -- hide it from view. But like the blue sky, the joy is always there. And we don't have to work hard to feel joy. All it takes is a willingness to let go of the clouds of misery. And there it is.

And it's still there today.

Anyone else have thoughts about joy?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Meadowchik
Priest

Re: Joy

Post by Meadowchik »

I had to complete some major assignments for school last week. After a long week of high tension, Friday was my last day to finish, and I certainly did not want to work all day with this pressing anxiety. I kinda let it shift, trying to recall that love for discovering that got me there in the first place. And I had a really good day, the kind where I made corrections and it all came together with an unprecedented clarity and I knew exactly what to do. I just wish I had done that sooner, instead of being worn down by stress for two weeks. Sometimes joy is a choice that is kinda rebellious and outrageous.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

On the podium at his rallies, Trump has a right to make joyous dancing-like motions when he perceived that he was successfully pulling the wool over everyone's eyes.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:10 am
On the podium at his rallies, Trump has a right to make joyous dancing-like motions when he perceived that he was successfully pulling the wool over everyone's eyes.
I never saw joy in Trump. I saw smirking, boasting, casual lying, denigrating and inauthenticity. I never saw joy. Maybe that's why it was striking to me when I saw it in Harris Saturday night.
he/him

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:44 pm
I went for a walk the next day. It was one of those perfect NW Washington fall days. The sky was a brilliant blue. The maples were bright yellow, and the leaves that had fallen crackled on the ground when I stepped on them. My face felt warm from the sun and cold from the breeze at the same time. Lake Washington was beautiful, and the mountains were actually purple majesties. And I felt the joy of just being an insignificant speck of carbon that was lucky enough to see the beauty, hear the crackle, feel the sun and the wind, and experience them with such an intense, happy feeling.
Great timing and great example, RI.

Similar to your own experience, I went for a long walk in yesterday’s snowfall. The air was still and just cold enough, the snow was a feather-soft cover that yielded with a pleasant crush as I moved through it, and flakes fell in fat bunches that seemed to defy their apparent size as they lazily danced in a haphazard and slow trajectory towards the ground. It was the most enjoyable snowfall I’ve ever been within, and the walk was ... absolutely joyful.

It’s amazing at how such seemingly simple things can be so wonderful.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:44 pm

But others....danced. When they had every right to be miserable and feel sorry for themselves, they danced! And it was joyful.
Celtic folk. It's what we do. ;-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Yes! Joy and awe of seeing someone I know, formerly an unbeliever, being overcome with God's grace. A person who has become someone I want to emulate, a person I want to grow to become.

Res Ipsa, thank you for the detailed description of the trees, weather, sunshine, warmth, and coolness. You painted a lovely word picture that could make us feel present in the moment.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Sometimes you don't realize just how bad you need to hear something until it is said by someone.

Thank you RI for sharing this.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

msnobody wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:00 pm
Yes! Joy and awe of seeing someone I know, formerly an unbeliever, being overcome with God's grace. A person who has become someone I want to emulate, a person I want to grow to become.

Res Ipsa, thank you for the detailed description of the trees, weather, sunshine, warmth, and coolness. You painted a lovely word picture that could make us feel present in the moment.
You're welcome. I'm glad you found some joy. Most of the joy I find flows from interactions with others. I didn't go into details, but my walk included my best friend. That was part of the joy.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:43 pm
Sometimes you don't realize just how bad you need to hear something until it is said by someone.

Thank you RI for sharing this.
You're welcome. If my words helped you find some joy, then that's joyful!
he/him