A New Smear Article: Interpreter Targets Givens and Hauglid

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: A New Smear Article: Interpreter Targets Givens and Hauglid

Post by doubtingthomas »

Mom and Dad are fighting again.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:55 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:43 pm
Many people are not going to live by your definition of reasonable.
Marcus wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:44 am
Wow. I would say this sounds like a threat, but obviously you don’t mean it that way, but still, wow. This is quite a post for a professional historian to write.
Get the quote right, DT.
Marcus wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:44 am
Kishkumen, to DStem, wrote: Many people are not going to live by your definition of reasonable.
I know you are responding to DStem, but this is an incredible post, so I hope you don’t mind if I respond also. As to the above, Clearly.
No one need follow your ideology.
of course not!
The religious stuff will stay, and it is better to accept that….
Hmmm. Why is it better to accept that?
and find another way to improve things.
Wow. I would say this sounds like a threat, but obviously you don’t mean it that way, but still, wow. This is quite a post for a professional historian to write. Why, exactly, is it “better to accept that” the “religious stuff will stay”?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:03 am
Mom and Dad are fighting again.
“F” off, asshole. Go start your crap elsewhere.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

My answer to Marcus is that I think the fight against religion is something like the war on terror. Quixotic and rooted in all kinds of category errors. What it ends up being is a war on humanity.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Stating an opinion that supernatural stories are not real is not “fighting against religion.” :roll:

Even if it was, the opinion that “fighting against religion” is “a war on humanity” is… an interesting opinion. Not a supportable one, given how many members of said humanity do not believe in a religion.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:18 am
My answer to Marcus is that I think the fight against religion is something like the war on terror. Quixotic and rooted in all kinds of category errors. What it ends up being is a war on humanity.
I’m opposed to the notion that we should not criticize bad ideas simply because people hold them. “Religion” all too often has bad ideas and has found ways to protect its bad ideas by convincing people it’s really bad to criticize religion since many people believe foolish things.

With that said, I must be really dense. I didn’t see a threat at all.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:29 am
“F” off, asshole. Go start your crap elsewhere.
:shock:

Wow. I was obviously just kidding.

Have a nice day professor.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Mon May 30, 2022 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:48 pm
I’m opposed to the notion that we should not criticize bad ideas simply because people hold them. “Religion” all too often has bad ideas and has found ways to protect its bad ideas by convincing people it’s really bad to criticize religion since many people believe foolish things.

With that said, I must be really dense. I didn’t see a threat at all.
Humanity is flawed and its products are flawed. I think it is fine to critique things. I by no means refrain from criticism. All critiques, however, are open to critique! ;-)
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Marcus wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:33 pm
Stating an opinion that supernatural stories are not real is not “fighting against religion.” :roll:
Of course you would read my comment that way. :roll:
Even if it was, the opinion that “fighting against religion” is “a war on humanity” is… an interesting opinion. Not a supportable one, given how many members of said humanity do not believe in a religion.
Not supportable by your interpretation, but your interpretation is incorrect.

Have a nice day.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Mon May 30, 2022 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:57 am
Have a nice day.
Welcome to the club.