A New Smear Article: Interpreter Targets Givens and Hauglid

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: A New Smear Article: Interpreter Targets Givens and Hauglid

Post by Marcus »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:48 pm

I’m opposed to the notion that we should not criticize bad ideas simply because people hold them. “Religion” all too often has bad ideas and has found ways to protect its bad ideas by convincing people it’s really bad to criticize religion since many people believe foolish things.

With that said, I must be really dense. I didn’t see a threat at all.
Maybe it is a relic of being raised lds. I don't see a threat either when bad ideas are disagreed with, but multiple lds have commented repeatedly that negative assessments of their religion are seen as a personal attack. It's an odd position to take, given their founder's statements about other religious groups.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Yeah, since I have never been averse to critique, that must mean I was never raised LDS. LOL.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

dastardly stem wrote:
“Religion” all too often has bad ideas and has found ways to protect its bad ideas by convincing people it’s really bad to criticize religion since many people believe foolish things.
I think it's human psychology. People hate being told they are wrong.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:42 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
“Religion” all too often has bad ideas and has found ways to protect its bad ideas by convincing people it’s really bad to criticize religion since many people believe foolish things.
You're wrong about that... ;)
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:11 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:42 pm

You're wrong about that... ;)
You've got me there.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 3:55 pm
Yeah, since I have never been averse to critique, that must mean I was never raised LDS. LOL.
Oh dear. I would say statistical analysis is not your thing, but maybe it's better to just let you say it..
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:29 pm
...I know you are fabulously intelligent, but it is possible, even for you, to be ignorant about some things. That is not an opinion. That is a fact. You are ignorant about some things.

Is that too personal for you?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Marcus wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 5:41 am
Oh dear. I would say statistical analysis is not your thing, but maybe it's better to just let you say it..
I would say that you are better at reading math problems than you are at understanding conversational English.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow