LDS Church kept the lid on its $100B fund for fear tithing receipts would fall, account boss tells Wall Street Journal

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

LDS Church kept the lid on its $100B fund for fear tithing receipts would fall, account boss tells Wall Street Journal

Post by IHAQ »

Latter-day Saint officials kept the size of the church’s $100 billion investment reserves secret for fear that public knowledge of the fund’s wealth might discourage members from paying tithing, according to the top executive who oversees the account.

For members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, tithing — donating 10% of one’s income to the faith — “is more of a sense of commitment than it is the church needing the money,” Roger Clarke, head of Ensign Peak Advisors, which manages the denomination’s investing holdings, told The Wall Street Journal.

“So they never wanted to be in a position where people felt like, you know, they shouldn’t make a contribution,” Clarke said.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/02/08/ ... lid-its-b/
Latter-day Saint officials acknowledged that it used Ensign funds to underwrite construction of City Creek Center mall in downtown Salt Lake City and rescue Beneficial Life, a church-owned insurance company, but said there was nothing illegal in that.
Julia Miner, a retired tax attorney in the San Francisco Bay Area, is proud of her conservative Mormon tradition of frugality. But there is a time, she told The Tribune on Saturday, to use resources to help and lift people.

“Isn’t amassing wealth and then saving it the equivalent of ‘burying talents,’ that Christ condemned in the biblical parable?” Miner asked. “At some point, saving needs to be converted into good works and charitable giving.”
Hinckley’s old “no tithing funds were used for City Creek” is laid bare for all to see it as the lie it was.
Shulem
God

Re: LDS Church kept the lid on its $100B fund for fear tithing receipts would fall, account boss tells Wall Street Journ

Post by Shulem »

I hope bastard Gordon Hinckley is rolling in his wormy casket -- that no good son of a bitch!

:evil:

Pee pee on his tombstone is all he will ever get from me.

:twisted:

That Goddamn lying sack of Mormon crap! Everyone, let's pee on his grave.

:twisted:
Moksha
God

Re: LDS Church kept the lid on its $100B fund for fear tithing receipts would fall, account boss tells Wall Street Journ

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:04 pm
Everyone, let's pee...
That is the Chinese secret for a successful vegetable garden.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:46 am
Shulem wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:04 pm
Everyone, let's pee...
That is the Chinese secret for a successful vegetable garden.
:lol:

The things we way, sometimes! Oh my, my, my.

:D
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Under his leadership, an enormous project reworking several blocks in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City known as the City Creek Center was begun.

President Hinckley proclaimed “the assurance that tithing funds have not and will not be used to acquire this property. Nor will they be used in developing it for commercial purposes." (See "Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley," 2:207).
https://www.deseret.com/2019/7/3/893541 ... nal-temple

From the link in the OP
Latter-day Saint officials acknowledged that it used Ensign {tithing} funds to underwrite construction of City Creek Center mall in downtown Salt Lake City
The Church's explanation of "Honesty"
Lying is intentionally deceiving others. Bearing false witness is one form of lying. The Lord gave this commandment to the children of Israel: “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour” (Exodus 20:16). Jesus also taught this when He was on earth (see Matthew 19:18). There are many other forms of lying. When we speak untruths, we are guilty of lying. We can also intentionally deceive others by a gesture or a look, by silence, or by telling only part of the truth. Whenever we lead people in any way to believe something that is not true, we are not being honest.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... y?lang=eng
Bought Yahoo
High Councilman

Post by Bought Yahoo »

IHAQ wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:49 pm
Hinckley’s old “no tithing funds were used for City Creek” is laid bare for all to see it as the lie it was.
No doubt problematic but hardly news.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:16 pm
IHAQ wrote:

At least you know where your tithing donations went.

When I think about all those donations I made thinking it was going for the purposes of building the kingdom in real time rather than some investment account it makes me a bit upset. I should have kept my money and invested it and not paid. I'd have a lot more today if I had done that. What about you? Just think how much more you'd have if you skimmed off the top. It's not too late to get started. The Lord will never know. And if so, he don't care. Do it. You owe it to yourself. Oh, you may be already doing it.

Silly me!

:lol:
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Bought Yahoo wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:16 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Of course it’s new news. Here’s FAIR on the subject:
The Church has repeatedly stated that no tithing money is being used for construction of City Creek Center, including in the official Church magazine, the Ensign:

The Church first announced three years ago it was planning to redevelop the downtown area to energize the economy of the city that houses its headquarters and to bolster the area near Temple Square. No tithing funds will be used in the redevelopment.
"Church Releases Plans for Downtown Salt Lake", Ensign, Dec. 2006, 76–80.

The entire project is being financed through the church's commercial real estate arm, Property Reserve, Inc. These funds come through for-profit, tax-paying businesses owned by the Church.
https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Morm ... _Lake_City

One assumes, in light of this new admission that tithing funds were used for City Creek, FAIR will correct their website...
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:23 pm
One assumes, in light of this new admission that tithing funds were used for City Creek, FAIR will correct their website...
They can also correct their website by getting rid of the name Mormon. I'm sure President NelSatan wouldn't be happy to know they are using that name to support those who fostered it such as Hinkley and Monson. Look at what the Church has become!
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

One would hope that FAIR would change its content when the truth actually comes out. However, they are the self-appointed leaders of whitewashing the embarrassing lies the leaders tell from time to time and so I wouldn't hold your breath. Mormons are good people for the most part and so are the leaders I know and knew. Even so, they have doubled and tripled down on the nonsense the whitewashed history provides and have so convinced themselves that they are inspired by God and are so stuck in this belief of humble superiority, that they simply cannot countenance the thought of ordinary reality.

For those believers reading, perhaps allow yourself to consider the possibility that your leaders, you and the rest are just guessing? Rationally, there isn't any proof that God is there. The best one can hope for is some form of agnosticism. President Nelson touted this special conference about the first vision anniversary for April 2020 and couldn't foresee the corona virus. One would think God would have intervened prior to allowing his chosen guy to fail so miserably. There isn't any proof that nephites existed. The desperate apologists are entertaining a silly theory that there was a pretranslation of the Book of Mormon into the early modern english of shakespeare just so they can still claim the book is ancient. As time passes, DNA science continues to show the implausibility of Mormon claims about the ancient inhabitants of the americas to the point where it is absurd to continue to believe in such. Perhaps realize too that groups can get lost in heroic narratives told and retold to the point where belief happens where it shouldn't?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.