Fairmormon's T. I. T. S.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: Fairmormon's T. I. T. S.

Post by Lem »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:00 am
Lem wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:23 pm
:D great memory, Moksha. When I was a graduate student, I would go into the Cathedral of St. John the Divine for the same reason. When some of my family visited I was so pleased to be able to show them this truly elegant place I had found. My hard core LDS sister in law, however, was apparently a little miffed that I would find such serenity and reverence in a non-lds church. I know this because she walked inside with me and promptly announced, in a booming voice, "I CAN JUST FEEL THE PRESENCE OF SATAN!"
The Cathedral of St. John the Divine is so large that it has a number of smaller chapels that have been used by a variety of religious groups during its history. One of those groups was an LDS congregation in Manhattan. Could that have triggered your sister-in-law's vibes? ;) :D Three cheers for the Cathedral of St. John the Divine and the spirit of ecumenical tolerance!
Are you sure about that? The side chapels within the Cathedral are very small. I have never heard that the lds church used any of the spaces but I would be interested to find out about it.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Lem wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:20 am
Are you sure about that? The side chapels within the Cathedral are very small. I have never heard that the lds church used any of the spaces but I would be interested to find out about it.
When I was taking a tour of the Cathedral, someone in the group told this story. I assume they must have met in one of the side chapels. This would have been a number of years back when perhaps the Church was not as flush in money and was unwilling to spring for prime real estate. I was young and the storyteller was old, but my appreciation for the building increased upon hearing the story of shared usage.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:38 am
iPod Touch, points out that neither Jesus nor the Apostle Paul were kind when they had butts to kick for righteousness sake.

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/73 ... r-witness/
It seems to escape some people that they are neither Jesus Christ, nor an apostle who authored holy writ.

Thankfully Jesus reiterated the second greatest command to his true disciples.

In the words of Hillel; “That which is hateful to you do not do to another; that is the entire Torah, and the rest is its interpretation. Go study.”

https://www.sefaria.org/Shabbat.31a
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:39 pm
In the words of Hillel; “That which is hateful to you do not do to another; that is the entire Torah, and the rest is its interpretation. Go study.”

https://www.sefaria.org/Shabbat.31a
Woah, that is like throwing a bucket of Emerald City water on FAIRMormon.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

I was reading some comments about the CES letter, ran across a link to the Interpreter where in 2014, Kevin Christensen "reviewed" (but not really) the CES letter and went down the weirdest rabbit hole EVER. (peer review, my ASS.)

Anyway, the only saving grace was coming across this comment:
Log on June 26, 2014 at 12:53 pm said:

In the end, the best, and, really, only way to answer Jeremy’s questions is not to write voluminous essays which, in the final analysis, can be shortened to “Jeremy is honest but ignorant and blind”, but rather to actually answer his questions.

[link to comments: https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... e/?id=5242 ]

[link to article to which the comments were attached: https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... ment-11798 ]
To me, that really sums up why the TITS videos are going to fail. In the end, the questions that people have are simply not answered by FairMormon's approach.
Mixman76
Nursery

Post by Mixman76 »

OMG, I've been going back and forth with John Lynch a couple times tonight. Really makes me sad/mad. The spin he puts on everything is just so tedious. He explicitly asked me to NOT post our conversations so I'll respect that. But man, I'm just done with Fair Mormon.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Mixman76 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:44 am
OMG, I've been going back and forth with John Lynch a couple times tonight. Really makes me sad/mad. The spin he puts on everything is just so tedious. He explicitly asked me to NOT post our conversations so I'll respect that. But man, I'm just done with Fair Mormon.
That's very generous of you, Mixman. Any time that critics have emailed/messaged Mopologists anything that they (i.e., the Mopologists) thought that they could "weaponize," they didn't hesitate to post it. SHIELDS is a historic repository for precisely what I'm talking about. What this latest "T.I.T.S." fiasco demonstrates is that Mopologetics, when you think about, really has not evolved beyond the fundamental tactics that were deployed on SHIELDS more than 20 years ago.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:01 am
What this latest "T.I.T.S." fiasco demonstrates is that Mopologetics, when you think about it, really has not evolved beyond the fundamental tactics that were deployed on SHIELDS more than 20 years ago.
Bad behavior is present in human nature unless we consciously rise above it.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Mixman76 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:44 am
That's one of the big issues of why I jumped out too! They have become managers instead of leaders, exactly as Nibley feared the church leadership would do. They are the minions of the managers of the corporation. All mediocrity. Entertainment too, but mediocrity is their bottom line. It is why their revelations are mediocre cardboard as well.
Mixman76
Nursery

Post by Mixman76 »

I’ve gone back and forth a bit more with Mr. Lynch. I asked him if people like Kwaku, Brad and Cardon are the kind of people they want representing them. Seeing that they retweet videos and images of DezNat followers. He literally replied, “What is DezNat?” 🤦🏻‍♂️ Really? Did they do any research into who they were hiring and who these people are??