Top 10 Falsifiable FAIRMORMON Claims

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Top 10 Falsifiable FAIRMORMON Claims

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:32 pm
Joseph Smith Papers
October 1838 wrote:​October 30 Hauns Mill Massacre​ was 18 or 19 whose names as far as I recollect, were as follows: . . . . Jacob Potts, Charles Jimison, John Walker, Alma Smith aged about 9 years old
Another Alma!

:o
Hmmm, further reflecting:

The boy Alma was injured at the Haun's Mill massacre but his father and brother perished. Whether he was named after a family name or after Alma in the Book of Mormon, we can't tell. Apparently he was born at the time his parents converted to Mormonism.

But we know that Alma was a male name that was probably known to the Smith's while living in Vermont.
Last edited by Shulem on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

That particular Alma Smith was born in December 1831.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

If ancient temple rites could survive from the time of Solomon through Freemasonry to resurface in frontier America, then why couldn't masculine of Alma, with it's subtle yet ancient play on words?
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Tom wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:23 pm

Thanks for that, Tom! I thought the poor lad had been killed when I was skimming the record. But he survived. That's good. (I corrected my previous post)

I'm wondering whereof or why his parents named him, Alma. It may well have been influenced from the characters of the Book of Mormon which they had just been introduced to or from a family name coming down from a Smith line living in the region thereabout or, both. However, the fact his middle name is Lamoni leads me to believe the Book of Mormon was very likely responsible for his given name. Wouldn't you agree?
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

toon wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:33 pm
If ancient temple rites could survive from the time of Solomon through Freemasonry to resurface in frontier America, then why couldn't masculine of Alma, with it's subtle yet ancient play on words?
I'm not saying that the masculine male name of Alma "couldn't" have been passed down and end up in frontier America.

What I'm wondering, very strongly, which ALMA in the region influenced Joseph Smith to include the name in his Book of Mormon for two heroic missionary characters? It's been my experience that Smith borrows (steals) things from other sources in order to pat his bread, i.e., Masonic rituals and other men's wives.

ha ha
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Church apologists act like it's a big deal that the name Alma has been proven to be a masculine name during certain times in antiquity to include Roman times and earlier. They breathe a sigh of relief and claim a victory. The apologists ever ASSumed that Smith would have only known the name Alma to be associated with women, hence a feminine name. The apologists were embarrassed because critics snickered and laughed about a feminine name being assigned to men in the Book of Mormon. (LOL!!!) So, the apologists searched high and low looking for a masculine version of Alma in order to alleviate embarrassment and it appears their wish was granted through Nibley.

So what. The whole thing makes no difference because it's now been shown that Smith did know about the name Alma being masculine because men having that name lived in his vicinity and it's simply unthinkable to think neighbors didn't know neighbors back then -- especially neighbors that had the same surname (Smith). So in the end, Smith borrowed (stole) the name Alma for a couple of characters in his novel because he figured it was a perfectly safe thing to do. So in this, the apologists have nothing to boast about in finding the male name in yonder parts of the world because it does nothing to prove their cause that Smith translated an authentic name from ancient history in male context. There is no miracle, just apologetic BS offerings by silly scholars.

Now, if apologists can find the name Alma in historic text predating Lehi (600BC) then there is a definite connection in showing that the name is a perfect fit for the Book of Mormon. But, it still does little to show how Smith's novel is ancient because he already knew about the name Alma in masculine form. Nibley's find does nothing to vindicate or prove Smith could translate Egyptian into English.

Smith could NOT translate Egyptian into English anymore than he could translate English into Egyptian. Isn't that right, DCP? You dope.
Last edited by Shulem on Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Shulem wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:55 pm
Tom wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:23 pm

Thanks for that, Tom! I thought the poor lad had been killed when I was skimming the record. But he survived. That's good. (I corrected my previous post)

I'm wondering whereof or why his parents named him, Alma. It may well have been influenced from the characters of the Book of Mormon which they had just been introduced to or from a family name coming down from a Smith line living in the region thereabout or, both. However, the fact his middle name is Lamoni leads me to believe the Book of Mormon was very likely responsible for his given name. Wouldn't you agree?
Yes, I do. It looks like his parents joined the church in 1831. I don't know the month, but it was likely early enough in the year to influence the naming of their son in December.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Rick Grunder wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:49 pm
Mormon scholar Mike Reed explored this same approach ten years ago. He listed 47 examples of pre-Book of Mormon male Almas on his blog, "Cultural Mormon Cafeteria." Here is a link to his interesting comments posted January 23, 2010:

https://culturalmormoncafeteria.blogspo ... +name+male
10 YEARS down the road, and Peterson is still touting the outdated crap?! Like I said, and my handle on NOM says, APOLOGETICISLYING..... trust nothing on the surface of anything anyone at Sic et Non or the Interpreter writes.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Rick Grunder wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:49 pm
Mormon scholar Mike Reed explored this same approach ten years ago. He listed 47 examples of pre-Book of Mormon male Almas on his blog, "Cultural Mormon Cafeteria." Here is a link to his interesting comments posted January 23, 2010:

https://culturalmormoncafeteria.blogspo ... +name+male

Some of those names deserve to be pasted here in this thread. Surely, young Joseph had heard of the name ALMA as being a man's name -- boys by the name of Alma, contemporary to Joseph's time and region. I contend that the name was definitely a candidate for religious heroes in Smith's novel, the Book of Mormon. Wouldn't you agree, DCP, right?

My question to the apologists is:

"How could Joseph have NOT known?"

:twisted:

Alma SMITH - Ancestral FileGender: M Birth; Married to Sarah Gates, 8 Jan 1789. Presbyterian Chk, Ballston Center, Saratoga, N Y
Alma Smith - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 30 NOV 1800 Shoreham, Addison, Vermont
Alma [chase] - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: About 1793 Stephenstown, , Sullivan, New York
Alma RICHARDS - Ancestral FileGender: M Birth/Christening: Sep 1780 Of, Hartford, Hartford, Conn.
ALMA CAPRON - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 18 JAN 1793 East Greenwich, Kent, Rhode Island
Alma [cowdery] - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 12 AUG 1805 Hartland, Hartford, Connecticut
Alma Spalding - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 1790 Sheffield, Massachusetts
Alma Spalding - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 20 FEB 1796 , Connecticut
Alma Spalding - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 27 FEB 1796 New Marlboro, Berkshire, Massachusetts
Alma Otis Johnson - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Other: About 1787 Of, Leyden Twp, Lewis, New York
Alma Johnson - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: About 1792 Of Middletown, Connecticut
Alma Scott - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 25 APR 1792, Northampton, North Carolina
ALMA SCOTT - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 09 AUG 1786 Cornwall, Addison, Vermont
Alma White - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 18 JUL 1797 Upper, Middletown, Middlesex, Connecticut
Alma Clark - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 1795 Lee, Berkshire, Massachusetts
Alma Clark - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 03 OCT 1797 Lebanon, New London, Connecticut
Alma STARK - 1880 United States Census / OhioFatherL Gender: Male Birth: [1798] PA
ALMA LYON - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 07 JUL 1794 Of, Weston, Fairfield, Connecticut
ALMA CROSS - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 10 JAN 1790 Newton, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Alma Taylor - Pedigree Resource FileGender: M Birth/Christening: 13 May 1769 York, SC
Alma Ticknor Pease - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 28 JUL 1802 Of, Canaan, Columbia, New York
Alma Coe Lyman - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 26 MAR 1786 Of, Middlefield, Middlesex, Connecticut
Alma Browne - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: About 1796 Of, Greene, New York
Alma - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 08 SEP 1780 Fitzwilliam, Cheshire, New Hampshire
Alma [thompson] - International Genealogical Index / NAGender: Male Birth: 27 MAY 1802 Of, Charlton, Worcester, Massachusetts
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Again, thanks, Everybody Wang Chung, for starting this thread in showing that the name Alma was known as a masculine name in Smith's time and among his own neighborhood. The evidence to show that the name Alma was also a male name that would have been known to the Smith family, moreover the children, is impossible to deny. It's there, in black and white.

What does this do? It totally negates the apologetic claim of the name Alma found on documents dated to Roman times and earlier as evidence to support the Book of Mormon's use of Alma in masculine terms. The evidence dug up by Nibley and touted by apologists today is worthless and does nothing to support ancient claims of Smith's novel.

Hence, Everybody Wang Chung has effectively thrown out a FAIRMORON claim and left the apologists with one less weapon in their arsenal.

Next!