QAnon Liberals?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

QAnon Liberals?

Post by Gadianton »

Over the last couple of weeks, I banned myself from reviewing the output of Moplogetics, but now that things are settling for the new board, the ban has been lifted.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that they've come up with a bunch of nothing in that time and so now here we are with a functional forum and nothing to report on. Perhaps, even, they suspected we were working hard to get a new forum up, and so they colluded, swearing to keep things without substance for as long as possible so that we wouldn't be able to get them on anything?

At any rate, there is a mildly entertaining thread that starts on one topic and takes the usual scenic route through the standard topics of that blog/discussion forum.

The thread, intending to support the truth about Covid19, starts off on shaky ground, as SeN stalwart LynnJohnson immediately goes "anti-mask":
I am skeptical of the value of masks, but I wear them as I go out and about. It is just polite to do so and maybe they do help.
B. Wilson, who is in tough position of having a high intellect while fitted with oversized TBM blinders, thanks Lynn for doing the right thing, but then up pipes Lou Midgley, revealing his own anti-science grain:
Lou Midgley wrote:Lynn: How dare you say a single word that challenges some political ideology, and especially one that is held far more devotely than faith in God?
Yeah, Lou, masks are nothing but political ideology. I wonder if he feels the same way about wearing seatbelts? Although, I suppose more to the point in principle would be Thomas Sowell's example of mud flaps. If only your rock hitting the windshield of the car behind you caused that car to hit two more cars, it would be a better analogy. Like vaccinations, which are the specific point of the thread, to protect others, most of the population must submit, and it's why a few anti-vaxers have unleashed measles anew upon our entire population. But yeah, Lou, you go ahead and encourage them to "question". Hopefully Lynn will also question mud flaps and turn signals, noise ordinances, and a whole lot of other politics.

The proprietor must be feeling the heat, with his own guys recklessly sustaining the right-wing psychology threatening the efforts to end the pandemic.

Our very own "Sledge" shows up and condemns the right, and then to have a little fun, I suppose, Dr. Scott's iPod Touch shows up and throws in some QAnon jargon. Well, Kiwi57 sees the opportunity. Even though Kiwi virtually alone actually understands the facts behind Covid19 on that blog, he can't bring himself to question his Mopologist buddies. Remember, not too long ago he and the Proprietor were giving Will Schryver's relentless anti-mask blog a free pass because "people on both sides have made mistakes" -- or something like that.

At any rate, Kiwi calls out "Scott" as a QAnon supporter. Well, gee, a comment that seems obviously sarcastic COULD be serious, sure, but the reckless comments by Lynn and Lou that were most definitely serious get a free pass.

B. Wilson chides "Scott" as a troll, nonetheless acknowledging he's not serious.

But the proprietor won't miss an opportunity to bat for his team even when he himself, like Kiwi, knows they are in the wrong:
DCP wrote:Please don't clutter the comments section of my blog with QAnon lunacy.
That's right, you tell 'em! This blog is a place for truth, not pseudoscience and conspiracies like QAnon!

Sledge recognizes his own opportunity and overshoots, himself:
Sledge wrote:Get that Qanon sh** outta here. Although, I will note that all of these terrible things stem from right wing thought. There are no left wing Qanons.
DCP wrote:Yes there are. And there are left-wing Gulags, reeducation camps, boat people, Red Guards, and killing fields.

Drop the bigotry.
Hold the phone:

What?

This is from the same playbook of his Schryver defense, where people on all sides are wrong sometimes, but QAnon?

Let's take a moment and review theQAnon conspiracy:
Wiki wrote:QAnon[a] (/ˌkjuːəˈnɒn/) is a far-right conspiracy theory alleging that a cabal of Satan-worshiping pedophiles is running a global child sex-trafficking ring and plotting against US President Donald Trump, who is battling against the cabal.[2] The theory also commonly asserts that Trump is planning a day of reckoning known as "The Storm", when thousands of members of the cabal will be arrested...QAnon has accused many liberal Hollywood actors, Democratic politicians, and high-ranking officials of being members of the cabal
DCP is saying that there are liberals of appreciable numbers who believe in a cable of Satan-worshiping pedophile liberals who can only be stopped by Donald Trump? Really? I mean, I haven't followed the QAnon story especially closely, but this is one of those conspiracies that seem pretty much geared toward folks of the religious right. Perhaps these liberals exist in the same universe as South Park's anti-Semitic Jews, where they are so liberal that their tolerance can't recognize self-effacing tolerance of intolerance, but I'm going to call CFR on this one.

It's unsurprising to see the apologists unsure about where they really stand. Yeah, some of them are trying to be good and follow science when it's life and death, but there's always this fracture where so many of their numbers struggle, even then. If the Proprietor would like to understand why this struggle is so prominent among his crowd and virtually non-existence say, over here, he should look to the title of his own post:

"The Church supports the use of vaccinations".

Thank God, the Church just approved use of the automobile! Otherwise, how would we get anywhere! It's at the very core of authoritarian regimes like Mormonism to resist science due to the inevitable conflicts with the invented beliefs of priests and prophets.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: QAnon Liberals?

Post by Philo Sofee »

I have heard anyone talking about this subject is getting shut down! Lets not take a chance...... don't use the boards for this
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dean Robbers! Great post. So, the bad news is that there are some left-wing extremists who do embrace this kind of conspiracy thinking, and even some who specifically believe QAnon claims. In their minds, OF COURSE corporate Dems are evil and in league with Satan, are really lizard people, are eating babies, etc. They only pretend to be liberal to fool the rubes.

Get where I’m coming from here?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

If Peterson's point was that belief in conspiracy theories occurs on both sides of the political divide, I'd agree. The thing is, it's really hard to think of a conspiracy theory as cray cray as Q-Anon in recent memory. It seems to have absorbed every fringe, wacko idea floating around in the netiverse. In its most extreme form, it's almost a rehash of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It's very difficult to think of an equivalent conspiracy theory on the left that is as flat out crazy and that motivates people to do crazy things. Perhaps that's because it's a cult of personality at its core.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

It's Dr. Peterson's blog. There are no statutes saying he must be correct in his pronouncements. This is apologetics, not rocket science. Civilizations are not going to crash into the sun just because some thinking got jumbled. Nothing wrong with him riding a tapir around the Interpreter office.

Wonder if Louis sent in his mail-in ballot for Trump, or whether he did a write-in for Dr. Nibley?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
GameOver
Nursery

Post by GameOver »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:17 am
It's very difficult to think of an equivalent conspiracy theory on the left that is as flat out crazy and that motivates people to do crazy things.
Hmmmm .... How about the Russia Collusion Conspiracy Hoax and the resulting $40 Million Special Council that found NOTHING? Or how about the phone call to the new Ukrainian President that got Trump impeached, in which it has now been revealed that the Biden’s were indeed involved in a decades long corrupt pay-to-play scheme in many countries besides the Ukraine?

You might want to rethink what the left has been doing that is “flat out crazy” (and corrupt). :D
Dr. Sunstoned
CTR B

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

GameOver wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:18 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
It's very difficult to think of an equivalent conspiracy theory on the left that is as flat out crazy and that motivates people to do crazy things.
Hmmmm .... How about the Russia Collusion Conspiracy Hoax and the resulting $40 Million Special Council that found NOTHING? Or how about the phone call to the new Ukrainian President that got Trump impeached, in which it has now been revealed that the Biden’s were indeed involved in a decades long corrupt pay-to-play scheme in many countries besides the Ukraine?

You might want to rethink what the left has been doing that is “flat out crazy” (and corrupt). :D
Well that is one way to look at it. The Fox news filter.
GameOver
Nursery

Post by GameOver »

Dr. Sunstoned wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:30 am
]Well that is one way to look at it. The Fox news filter.
Fox News? There are more than a dozen books and hundreds of papers, articles, posts, videos and documentaries from those with inside knowledge.
Dr. Sunstoned
CTR B

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

Mueller found clear evidence of Russian tampering of the behalf of the Trump campaign.
"The Russian government interfered in the 2016 presidential election in sweeping and systematic fashion," Mueller wrote in the 448-page document, which lays out new details about a Kremlin-backed plot that compromised Democrats' computer networks and targeted state and local election offices.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/ ... Old Testament-1365568
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

GameOver wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:18 am
Res Ipsa wrote:

None of the things you list are in the same universe as organized pedophile rings of liberals led by Jews who also harvest blood from the children for a compound that prevents aging. And something about lizard people.

Trump’s attempt to pressure Ukraine into manufacturing a Joe Biden scandal is well supported by the evidence. He’s had Rudy, Mikey, and Billy scrambling all over the world to try to find someone, anyone to say bad stuff about Biden. On the other hand, the claim that Joe Biden was in a pay for play scheme for 10 years is as wrong as QAnon — it’s just not as looney tunes.

And the facts also show some collusion between the Trump campaign and Russians trying to influence the election. It didn’t rise to the level of a criminal conspiracy, but that is not a finding of no collusion. So, no. Not as bat crap crazy as QAnon.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.