"Are the Brethren Hypocrites?"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Westwind
Nursery

"Are the Brethren Hypocrites?"

Post by Westwind »

First, thanks for the terrific forum here. I've learned some cool things here, and look forward to learning -- and interacting -- more in the future.

Second, I'm intrigued by and grateful for the information IHAQ initially gathered a few weeks ago re: Top 15 (non) participation in #GiveThanks. His research spurred my further research into what the final tally was re: participation. I've posted it to my blog, https://ldtruths.blogspot.com/2020/12/a ... rites.html

by the way, feel free to peruse my blog and PM me with any insights you may have. In Nov, I posted how Nelson may have inadvertently triggered the latter-day tribulations, and a post about prophets who don't prophesy. There are also posts re: Tithing, the Law of Common Consent, Racism and why the Coronavirus fasts failed.

My hope is that I've analyzed these issues/topics responsibly and objectively, fully documenting my points as I go.

Thanks again for the mature, respectful discussions here. I'm impressed.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: "Are the Brethren Hypocrites?"

Post by Dr Exiled »

1. Perhaps the others of the Q15 view the exercise as RFM's fiance did, as an exercise that a grandmother or 3rd grade teacher would ask her grandchildren or students respectively to do? Too much obvious infantilism doesn't work? Too much embarrassment in following along?

2. Nelson had the Nov 2015 policy debaucle where he claimed revelation without quorum approval and then had to eat it with his made up revelation to cure the nonsense. Perhaps there is some animosity still there with the tarnished legacy that will have to be explained in the future when one of the younger members of the Q15 takes over? They all believe they will be the fearless leader some day and that probably acts as a check on too much crazy and Nelson with his magic pen/nocturnal revelations seemed too crazy for today and perhaps there is reluctance to sign on to the nonsense?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Westwind
Nursery

Post by Westwind »

I've been wondering similarly. If a person (that you dislike/despise) is acting stupidly, the best thing to do is to just let them continue on their self-"stupidifying" path. In other words, if you want Nelson to look stupid, just leave him be. He's doing spectacularly all on his own.

It's too bad they can't see past their own egos and realize the other stuff that's insanely stupid in the church.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

No comment on the page but if you want another quote to add to your home page about truth I think the second paragraph of page 216 of the John Taylor Teachings for Our Times manual fits in nicely:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... JsYNoPRe_P

A man in search of truth has no peculiar system to sustain, no
peculiar dogma to defend or theory to uphold. He embraces all
truth, and that truth, like the sun in the firmament, shines forth
and spreads its effulgent rays over all creation. If men will divest
themselves of bias and prejudice, and prayerfully and conscientiously search after truth, they will find it wherever they turn
their attention.
Westwind
Nursery

Post by Westwind »

Thanks for the suggestion! Quote added. Keep 'em coming. Can't get enough good quotes about truth!
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Thanks for the credit.

I think there is something very interesting about Uchtdorf in particular completely and deliberately refusing to support Nelson (you will remember that Nelson's first decision in office was to remove Uchtdorf from the First Presidency). Even if the "post every day for 7 consecutive days" was an afterthought not discussed with all the Apostles, Uchtdorf will have known Nelson was asking people to make #GiveThanks social media posts in the lead up to Thanksgiving. All other Apostles at least posted one #GiveThanks post.

Uchtdorf completely and wilfully disobeyed President Nelson on this one. I think the members deserve to know why.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

These brethren are busybodies. Its not like they are sitting around at night hoping for inspiration to hit. Plus flooding social media's gotta amount to something like a post a week in their minds. Plus they are full of blessings. They don't need them. This was for the members. Or it was a decided upon marketing strategy and everyone who follows them are members anyway. There's tons of explanations that should suit members just fine.

I like that you've called this out. I'm still seeing day 20 and 21 thanks reports. Some members seem desperate to get these blessings that apparently didn't quite arrive yet. Those are the ones I feel badly for. President N just used their hopes to try and get a positive response for his church.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:37 am
No comment on the page but if you want another quote to add to your home page about truth I think the second paragraph of page 216 of the John Taylor Teachings for Our Times manual fits in nicely:

themselves of bias and prejudice, and prayerfully and conscientiously search after truth, they will find it wherever they turn
their attention.
This stinkin apostate is an anti-Mormon! That ain't Mormon doctrine!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:01 pm
These brethren are busybodies. Its not like they are sitting around at night hoping for inspiration to hit. Plus flooding social media's gotta amount to something like a post a week in their minds. Plus they are full of blessings. They don't need them. This was for the members. Or it was a decided upon marketing strategy and everyone who follows them are members anyway. There's tons of explanations that should suit members just fine.

I like that you've called this out. I'm still seeing day 20 and 21 thanks reports. Some members seem desperate to get these blessings that apparently didn't quite arrive yet. Those are the ones I feel badly for. President N just used their hopes to try and get a positive response for his church.
That's Mormonism in a nutshell, all fluff, no substance......just give the feel goods and be grateful
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:35 am
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:37 am

their attention.
This stinkin apostate is an anti-Mormon! That ain't Mormon doctrine!
He’s in good company.

https://oneclimbs.com/2010/10/10/brigha ... -on-truth/

Regards,
MG