Ringing in the New Year, DCP is "Disowned" By Relative over Political Views

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Ringing in the New Year, DCP is "Disowned" By Relative over Political Views

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Like everyone else, I am ready for 2020 to be over. I'm sure that's true for the Mopologists as well, but in the meantime, it would seem that Dr. Peterson has been busy doing what he does best: i.e., offend and alienate people thanks to his abrasive personality, and his inability to shut up. And this time around, it's none other than his own family that's "giving him the boot," as Dr. Midgley would say:
SeN wrote:I was especially disheartened and depressed when a member of my extended family to whom I had made a holiday-greeting phone call told me that s/he was effectively severing ties with me because of the occasional political comments I’ve made on this only occasionally political blog. My parents and my brother, s/he said, would be very disappointed in me.
Wow! May "auld acquaintance be forgot indeed"! But once you step back and think about this for a moment, this is actually really distasteful. Look how it continues:
DCP wrote:Good grief. It’s not as if I’ve suddenly declared myself a Nazi or a Marxist-Leninist or in favor of mandatory partial-birth abortions. I’m still the free-market and pro-life conservative, the strong believer in limited constitutional government and federalism, that I’ve been since my early teens. I really haven’t changed.

I’m horrified at the way our current toxic politics have divided friends and families, separating us into mutually exclusive, seldom-communicating, warring factions.

Which is one of the reasons that, after a lifetime of deep political interest and deep political commitment, I’ve resolved to forego public partisan political comment. I shall be silent.
A couple of thoughts here. First, it is absolutely shameful that he'd be airing his family's dirty laundry on his blog like this. I mean, come on: let it go! And you can see the desire here to stick it to the person: "Good grief," he says, and he's doing this *out in public*! Seriously, can *you* imagine doing something like this? Dr. Peterson ought to be ashamed of himself. Does his relative know that he's bitterly pounding out a missive like this on New Year's Eve, in front of his audience of readers? Notice, too, how he uses a neutral gender pronoun: "s/he." What's the point of that? Plausible deniability? So, like, when Cousin Jeanine calls his wife to complain about how he's trashing her online on his blog, he can still say, "Oh, no, I wasn't talking about her!" (Plus, he's obviously trying to dodge accusations of sexism.)

And you have to wonder who it was: a daughter-in-law? He says "extended family." A cousin? Uncle? I think you have to assume it's someone younger than him, given his age. And why doesn't he specify what the specific issue was? Did it go something like this, "I'm sick of you constantly gang-piling on Gemli, so I'm never speaking to you again?"

Really, no matter how you slice it, this is incredibly shameful. And it really only gets worse:
SeN wrote:The other reason is simply this: I value the work of the Interpreter Foundation much more than I value personally bloviating on politics — even in today’s peerlessly target-rich and almost irresistibly tempting political environment.

Maintaining silence these days about political matters requires virtually superhuman self-restraint on my part.

So, if you’re still thinking about perhaps maybe possibly making a donation to the Interpreter Foundation on this last day of this wretched year, please do so. If it will help, please devote a moment or two to contemplating my noble self-sacrifice and be inspired.
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that this is really all about Interpreter and how important it is to him. I mean, this was the guy who opted to take a vacation to Australia over spending time with loved ones during the holidays. So, of course, the lesson here isn't, "We should try to patch things up with our family," or "I'm renouncing political blogging because my family means to much to me." No, instead it's, "I love Interpreter. Won't you please fork over your money?" I mean, he's cracking jokes here about how having to restrain himself from skewering "irresistibly tempting political" targets is more meaningful to him than his family relationships.

The post wraps up with this:
P.S. — I reserve to myself the right to speak out on non-electoral political matters in the future, when I so choose. For example, on topics related to the Middle East and to religious liberty. And I’m contemplating a an occasional series of posts on economics and political thought in general. If people want to unfriend me over such things, they will be entirely free to do it.
In other words, he's saying "Screw you!" to his relative. If you've been following Mopologetics for any length of time, you'll know that on at least one occasion, they've tried to wriggle out of situations like this by claiming that something along these lines is "satire." But even if that's true, consider the way the joke is structured: it's still all about trying to leech dollars out of you for "Interpreter," and it's doing this at the expense of DCP's unnamed relative, and he's basically saying that he's willing to walk away from that relationship because the other person is stubborn and stupid. And plus, who cares about family? Because Interpreter is all that matters in the end.

Really, quite a shameful way to close out the year.

Or, to put it another way, Happy New Year, Friends & Colleagues!
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Ringing in the New Year, DCP is "Disowned" By Relative over Political Views

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

What is wrong with DCP? This is not normal behavior by any stretch of the imagination.

Airing his family’s private issues on a public forum is not a sign of mentally healthy individual, or a sign that DCP values familial relationships.

I was just informed that it is indeed his daughter-in-law’s family. They are Florida Cuban-Americans and hardcore Republicans/Trump supporters. I’m sure they really appreciate DCP publicly complaining about them and their private conversation.

If anyone needed further proof that DCP is a complete ass.....
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Does his relative know that he's bitterly pounding out a missive like this on New Year's Eve, in front of his audience of readers?
Isn't that the point? And then directly into a Gandhi-like political "hunger strike". "Look at what you've made me do! Now I can't talk about my favorite subject!"

This was interesting, and entirely believable.
I’m still the free-market and pro-life conservative, the strong believer in limited constitutional government and federalism, that I’ve been since my early teens. I really haven’t changed
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Wait. When he says this: I was especially disheartened and depressed when a member of my extended family to whom I had made a holiday-greeting phone call told me that s/he was effectively severing ties with me because of the occasional political comments I’ve made on this only occasionally political blog. My parents and my brother, s/he said, would be very disappointed in me.

Isn't that an indication that the folks in question are readers of the very blog he's disclosing private family matters on?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I gather he is being attacked for not prostituing his mind to Trump. God bless DCP.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

My heart goes out to Dr. Peterson. Too many religious people have bought into the fixed false notion that Trump is the messiah. It is sad to lose a family relationship over a delusion. Perhaps he could take comfort in the words of Mr. Spock who would chalk it up to a bad LDS trip. Trump seems to bring out the worst in people.

If Trump ends up in the Allenwood Federal Correctional Facility, perhaps the Cruise Lady can offer a shrine tour, where Trump devotees can make a donation and have a prayer circle.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:21 am
A couple of thoughts here. First, it is absolutely shameful that he'd be airing his family's dirty laundry on his blog like this. I mean, come on: let it go!
We all need some way to process our feelings and finding a therapist is not an easy task. Dr. Peterson likes writing on his personal blog, and many bloggers have used their public writings as a way to work through the issues of their lives. As they would say in Middle French, Honi soit qui mal y pense.
And you have to wonder who it was: a daughter-in-law? He says "extended family." A cousin? Uncle? I think you have to assume it's someone younger than him, given his age. And why doesn't he specify what the specific issue was? Did it go something like this, "I'm sick of you constantly gang-piling on Gemli, so I'm never speaking to you again?"
Growing old means most people surrounding us are younger, unless we are in the Quorum of the Twelve or a retirement home. It seemed clear to me that it was due to his dislike of Donald Trump.

When Dr. Peterson spoke out against Trump, I was proud of him. He was following President Hinckley's admonition to stand for something.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:10 am
I gather he is being attacked for not prostituing his mind to Trump. God bless DCP.

I'm going to have to side with huckelberry and Moksha. I'm giving DCP a pass for standing up against Trump.

To show my appreciation to Peterson, I'm committed to not make any comments about his weight or call him "fat" for the entire 2021 new year!

Happy New Year, Dan! Best wishes to you on improved health and happiness as you diet and exercise.

Shulem
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

DCP wrote: After the election — actually, who am I kidding? the 2020 presidential election will never end — I returned, with one or two blog entries, to occasionally commenting on partisan political matters. But I soon backed off again.

Why? Partly because a friend advised me that, given my position, I should, in the manner of a General Authority, entirely refrain from taking public political stands. Now, I don’t feel like a General Authority. (For which I’m deeply grateful!). But I get it.
given his 'position'? Does he mean his self-appointed 'position'? :roll:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Isn’t his “position” called ‘blogger?’

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.