Has the Baton Been Passed from Gee to Smoot?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Has the Baton Been Passed from Gee to Smoot?

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Happy Halloween, everyone! Under normal circumstances, we'd be up for all sorts of tricks and treats. But these aren't normal times, and so we have to settle (I guess) for Mopologetic tricks instead, such as this incredibly bizarre blog post from Steve Smoot. The abstract clues you in to what's going on:
Smoot wrote:This paper looks at the two types of heads used in the Book of Mormon. It argues against a recent theory that these heads served as mnemonic cues that enabled Joseph Smith to extemporaneously compose and dictate the text. Instead, it argues that the function and form of heads in the Book of Mormon finds ancient precedent in Egyptian literary culture and scribal practice. A brief addendum on the ancient precedent for the chapter breaks in the original text of the Book of Mormon is also provided.
Quite fascinating! And you have to wonder if this is a historic moment: are we witnessing the official "passing of the baton" from Gee to Smoot, with Smoot assuming the role of Chief Book of Abraham Mopologist? If so, he's really just only tentatively dipping his toe into the waters. Check it out:
Smoot wrote:As mentioned above, the Egyptian narrative infinitive is not an exact parallel to the types of heads in the Book of Mormon. It is, however, conceptually and functionally close enough to merit our attention and consideration. The parallels between the Book of Mormon’s markers of embedded content and the Egyptian textual apparatuses mentioned above are especially noteworthy. Readers can decide for themselves whether they find Davis’ argument persuasive that Joseph Smith could have “extrapolate[d] lengthy narratives from very short outlines and extremely brief cues.”50 What they should keep in mind as they do evaluate his claim is that there are ways to account for the structure of the Book of Mormon that are consistent with its claim to being an ancient text.
Ha ha ha! "not an exact parallel": yeah, no kidding. And is it really "conceptually and functionally close enough" to merit further scrutiny? I dunno--was The Late War? So, unfortunately, this is a pretty terrible article, but that would be in keeping with the role that the Chief Book of Abraham Mopologist has tended to fill. It'll be interesting to see what Smoot produces in the future.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Has the Baton Been Passed from Gee to Smoot?

Post by Dr. Shades »

If your premise is correct, then that's a bad sign for Dr. Gee, 'cause Mopologetics is typically a lifetime tenure. If one quits being a Mopologist before one dies, then apostasy seems to quickly follow.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

It will be as easy to refute Smoot as it is and was Gee. My response to Smoot here is blase simple, yet damaging. My answer is "so what?" You are merely spouting opinion. I have no reason to look into it further let alone at all.
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:57 pm
If your premise is correct, then that's a bad sign for Dr. Gee, 'cause Mopologetics is typically a lifetime tenure. If one quits being a Mopologist before one dies, then apostasy seems to quickly follow.
Dr. Shades:

My apologies—I didn’t mean to imply that Gee was retiring as a Mopologist. Rather, I was simply wondering if the *main job* of defending the Book of Abraham has been handed over to Smoot. I think that Gee will remain a full-blown Mopologist for the rest of his life, even if he scales back his involvement in Book of Abraham apologetics.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:31 pm
Quite fascinating! And you have to wonder if this is a historic moment: are we witnessing the official "passing of the baton" from Gee to Smoot, with Smoot assuming the role of Chief Book of Abraham Mopologist? If so, he's really just only tentatively dipping his toe into the waters. Check it out:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I am to understand that Smoot struggles with same sex attraction, isn't that right? If that being the case, he won't last nearly as long as Gee because Smoot will be dipping his toe into all kinds of forbidden waters. It's only a matter of time and he won't be able to resist.

Hey Smoot

Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

This is turning out to be a tangled web. Am I wrong that Smoot is implicitly locking the apologists into the long-scroll theory, which is at the greatest risk of being falsified? I imagine it's on Everybody Wang Chung's top 10 list of falsified theories. While Davis may not literally being arguing for the expansion theory, Smoot's argument also blocks the expansion theory for any TBM. And here's something odd. If you check out Davis' book on Amazon, there are several 5-star review. One of them is by an "Ed Snow". WTF? What are the odds there are two involved with apologetics? And if it is who we think, then my head is spinning here over the implications.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Let's see. Dr. Ritner and then Dr. Bokovoy thoroughly destroy any possibility of the Book of Abraham being an ancient text, hence putting it squarely in the 19th century and a product of Joseph Smith's imagination. Dr. Gee remains silent and Dr. Mulestein chickens out of any debate with the ailing Dr. Ritner. Now, young Smoot is supposedly given the reigns?

Don't do it young Smoot, don't do it. The franchise isn't worth the cost. You'll continually be the bearer of bad tidings to the brethren and they will secretly despise you. You will be the reason people leave as there is no way to dress up this pig and make it presentable. Go your own way young man and find yourself first.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:53 am
If that being the case, he won't last nearly as long as Gee because Smoot will be dipping his toe into all kinds of forbidden waters. It's only a matter of time and he won't be able to resist.
Not if young Smoot sticks to sacred waters.

What if Rappleye and Kwaku paired him up with Hannah Seriac? That way, when Dr. Gee does retire, Smoot would be in a perfect position to step into the Gay Chair of Abrahamomics in the Department of Eastern Conversions and Languages at BYU.

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:57 pm
No way. Dr. Gee could continue to write books that he could sell at FAIRMormon and Survivalist Conferences.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

The Book of Abraham is like the Kobayashi Maru of Mopologetics: it’s the ultimate “no-win situation,” and that’s why old-guard people like DCP, Welch, Hamblin, and Midgley would never touch it with a ten-foot pole. They have *always* farmed this stuff out to Gee, and they haven’t always been very supportive when he’s gotten slammed for doing “their” dirty work. But here comes Smoot! He no doubt fancies himself the James T. Kirk of Mopologetics, but in order for that to work, he’s going to have to figure out how to reprogram the system so that he can win. And he seems clueless about how to do that. (Hint: only the actual Captain Kirk can figure out how to do that, and guess what? Captain Kirk is a fictional character, just like Captain Moroni!)
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:05 am
The Book of Abraham is like the Kobayashi Maru of Mopologetics: it’s the ultimate “no-win situation,” and that’s why old-guard people like DCP, Welch, Hamblin, and Midgley would never touch it with a ten-foot pole.
A young guy like Smoot has the ability to reprogram this Kobayashi Maru and make Narnia come out on top every time.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace