Vogel's new book on Abraham

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Vogel's new book on Abraham

Post by Philo Sofee »

kairos wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:02 pm
Dan
I will definitely read your new book- i applaud you for being the most thorough historian on things Mormon!

Can you tell us who the "bad "guys are in your book so we can await a hit piece on you from Interpreter?

k
Dan has now moved to the level of sophisticated honest historian to be the one giving hit pieces on apologists, no longer vice versa..... :D
dan vogel
CTR A

Post by dan vogel »

kairos wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:02 pm
Dan
I will definitely read your new book- i applaud you for being the most thorough historian on things Mormon!

Can you tell us who the "bad "guys are in your book so we can await a hit piece on you from Interpreter?

k
I don't think Gee and Muhlestein will like my book, because I go after their reverse translation theory and long scroll theory; and Givens won't like it either because I criticize those who want to redefine "translation" to support the catalyst theory.
dan vogel
CTR A

Post by dan vogel »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Dan,

Do you have an opinion of when the doodling on the paper backing of the original papyrus vignette of Facsimile No. 1 was drawn and who drew it? I'm now convinced that it happened in Nauvoo. Is there reason to believe otherwise?

I've been discussing this in the Shout Out to Shulem! thread. I've also raised up the idea that Smith got information from the Masons regarding Anubis.
It's more of the temple floor plan by F. G. Williams. This is illustrated in the article by Muhlestein and Baugh in Journal of Book of Mormon and Other Restoration Scripture, 22/3, 2013, p. 70.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

dan vogel wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:49 pm
Shulem wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Dan,

Do you have an opinion of when the doodling on the paper backing of the original papyrus vignette of Facsimile No. 1 was drawn and who drew it? I'm now convinced that it happened in Nauvoo. Is there reason to believe otherwise?

I've been discussing this in the Shout Out to Shulem! thread. I've also raised up the idea that Smith got information from the Masons regarding Anubis.
It's more of the temple floor plan by F. G. Williams. This is illustrated in the article by Muhlestein and Baugh in Journal of Book of Mormon and Other Restoration Scripture, 22/3, 2013, p. 70.

Oops, I think you misunderstood my question and it's my fault for not being more clear. WE ARE TALKING PAST EACH OTHER! :lol:

The doodling that I refer to is the penciling of the priest holding the upward knife and the penciling in the lacuna of Abraham on the the lion bed filled in by the doodling.

When do you think it was drawn and by whom? Kirtland or Nauvoo?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:22 am
The doodling that I refer to is the penciling of the priest holding the upward knife and the penciling in the lacuna of Abraham on the the lion bed filled in by the doodling.

Shulem, could you post some enlarged images of those doodlings so everyone knows exactly what you are talking about?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:50 am
Shulem wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:22 am

Shulem, could you post some enlarged images of those doodlings so everyone knows exactly what you are talking about?
Behold, the doodles upon the paper backing of the temple of God:

Who drew them and when?

dan vogel
CTR A

Post by dan vogel »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:04 am
Moksha wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:50 am

Behold, the doodles upon the paper backing of the temple of God:

Who drew them and when?

I don't know who did it, but I suspect that it had to have been done before the Times and Seasons version was published. I don't imagine anyone would draw it differently after that.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

dan vogel wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:24 am
I don't know who did it, but I suspect that it had to have been done before the Times and Seasons version was published. I don't imagine anyone would draw it differently after that.

I too, can't imagine anyone drawing it differently than the Times and Seasons version after it was published. It had to have been drawn prior to publication. There are very few people who had ACCESS and AUTHORITY to manipulate the paper backing holding the glued fragment. Think about that! How many people had access to to the personal office and drawer of the President of the Church? The list is rather short, is it not?

I want you to think about this more, Dan, and you'll figure it out. Don't cop out. Take the sketch by the horns and pull in the bull.

I know you can do it.

Shulem
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Thank you, Dan. I feel like a small useless person encouraging you, but I am really looking forward to this.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:35 pm
Thank you, Dan. I feel like a small useless person encouraging you, but I am really looking forward to this.
As am I.