Vogel's new book on Abraham

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Vogel's new book on Abraham

Post by Shulem »

Unfortunately, for the Church, the Kirtland Egyptians Papers have ever remained a liability and a source of frustration for Church scholars in having to justify or explain away the obvious controversies that surround and permeate the work. Those papers have really proven a hindrance in supporting anything Smith and his comrades ever said about how they made and produced the Book of Abraham. Apologists today would just as well wish that Willard Richards had dumped the whole collection in a river while making the western trek to Utah. Would to God the Spirit had moved Richards to dump them and forget about the whole thing! That would have made things much easier for the Mormons later on.

Blame Richards for not having the Spirit of discernment and for not dumping the trash!
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Dan,

I'm happy to say that I just ordered your new book via Amazon Prime!

I look forward to digesting this work and will treasure my copy.

Thanks,

Shulem

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Got my copy in the mail this week. Looking forward to the education.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Currently reading it. Looks like it mirrors his videos on the same subject but with a little more detail. Definitely worth the $10 I paid. Great scholarship is worth the small price.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

Dan Petersen has started a response to Vogel with a discussion of what is proof or evidence
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... three.html

Note a Sandra Day O'Tanner 'I m not as enthusiastic about witness testimony as you are. Research has show just how absolutely unreliable it can be. Day Tanner starts off comments with "
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

hauslern wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:33 pm
Dan Petersen has started a response to Vogel with a discussion of what is proof or evidence
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... three.html

Note a Sandra Day O'Tanner 'I m not as enthusiastic about witness testimony as you are. Research has show just how absolutely unreliable it can be. Day Tanner starts off comments with "
Note that in that entry, Peterson defines a portion of a children's textbook posted for homework on a school district site as a "legal website devoted to the topic." more details here:
viewtopic.php?p=16194#p16194

Also, note that the second objective for the children's textbook he quotes from is to learn that "eyewitness accounts have limitations."

Apparently, the kids get it. :roll:
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

Lindsay has also started a reply to Vogel here.

https://mormanity.blogspot.com/2021/03/ ... -book.html

Evidently Lindsay expects that Smith and Co. were up to date on Champollion work and rejects Vogel's assertions that they were not.
Lindsay wrote:At the core of many modern attacks on the Book of Abraham is the notion that a handful of Egyptian characters in the margins of some Book of Abraham manuscripts written by Joseph's scribes represent the translation work of Joseph Smith. If so, then Joseph apparently thought that a single character could represent complex story details that require as many as 200+ English words to translate. This would seem to require Joseph to have been ignorant of Champollion's famous translation of the Rosetta Stone, where Egyptian symbols (hieroglyphs and demotic script) were not mysteriously linked to large blocks of Greek text, but were found to have a much more reasonable relationship.
This is exactly what Smith and his scribes thought and it is so clear in the GAEL that is what they were doing, not to mentions contemporary statements about how many volumes the translation would fill once it was done.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Lindsay is a twit -- a Mormon whore boy who sells himself for naught.

He's a garbage truck hauling garbage.

UP yours Lindsay, you little twit.

:lol:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:48 am
Lindsay has also started a reply to Vogel here.

https://mormanity.blogspot.com/2021/03/ ... -book.html

Evidently Lindsay expects that Smith and Co. were up to date on Champollion work and rejects Vogel's assertions that they were not.
Lindsay wrote:At the core of many modern attacks on the Book of Abraham is the notion that a handful of Egyptian characters in the margins of some Book of Abraham manuscripts written by Joseph's scribes represent the translation work of Joseph Smith. If so, then Joseph apparently thought that a single character could represent complex story details that require as many as 200+ English words to translate. This would seem to require Joseph to have been ignorant of Champollion's famous translation of the Rosetta Stone, where Egyptian symbols (hieroglyphs and demotic script) were not mysteriously linked to large blocks of Greek text, but were found to have a much more reasonable relationship.
This is exactly what Smith and his scribes thought and it is so clear in the GAEL that is what they were doing, not to mentions contemporary statements about how many volumes the translation would fill once it was done.
Ugh. What a waste of time. It pains me to read Lindsay's dreck.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Craig Paxton
Sunbeam

Post by Craig Paxton »

Just purchased the book...looking forward to reading it with with great anticipation.
"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka