Missionary Numbers plummet

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Missionary Numbers plummet

Post by dastardly stem »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:57 am
dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:11 pm

Ok. So I guess the point remains, whether there's a god or not, everything works out the same.
That’s very difficult to say.
I suppose that's the point of making unfalsifiable claims. Or that's why they are used as a matter of convenience.

Not if it’s true.

Regards,
MG
Actually, yes, if it is true. There remains no benefit articulated for the superstitious and gullible faith. If it's true it still remains superstitious and gullible to believe as you do.

superstitious:
excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings.
Since no reasoning is given for the belief, whether it's actually true or not, it remains superstition ("excessively credulous belief"). And of course it only takes the gullible to believe it, or go along with it. This is all just a matter of definition.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:43 pm
mentalgymnast wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:57 am

That’s very difficult to say.
I suppose that's the point of making unfalsifiable claims. Or that's why they are used as a matter of convenience.

Not if it’s true.

Regards,
MG
Actually, yes, if it is true. There remains no benefit articulated for the superstitious and gullible faith. If it's true it still remains superstitious and gullible to believe as you do.

superstitious:
excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings.
Since no reasoning is given for the belief, whether it's actually true or not, it remains superstition ("excessively credulous belief"). And of course it only takes the gullible to believe it, or go along with it. This is all just a matter of definition.
I suppose if you want to lump everyone who has ever believed in God as being gullible you can do that.

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:18 pm
I suppose if you want to lump everyone who has ever believed in God as being gullible you can do that.

Regards,
MG

What's gullible is everyone who believes that anyone who refuses to get baptized into Smith's religion has to go to a lower kingdom where there is less to do.

That's gullible.

Wouldn't ya say?

;)
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

mentalgymnast wrote:
dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:43 pm

superstitious:

Regards,
MG
No. That's why "excessively credulous" is used in the definition of superstition. Gullible, admittedly, is a bit different.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
mentalgymnast
1st Counselor

Post by mentalgymnast »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:58 pm
mentalgymnast wrote:

Regards,
MG
No. That's why "excessively credulous" is used in the definition of superstition. Gullible, admittedly, is a bit different.
I assume then that you find it incredulous that people believe in a higher power?

Regards,
MG
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Shulem wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:04 pm

Regards,
MG

What's gullible is everyone who believes that anyone who refuses to get baptized into Smith's religion has to go to a lower kingdom where there is less to do.

That's gullible.

Wouldn't ya say?

;)
:lol: no argument there.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Interestingly the actual number of missionaries is even lower than the Church first published.

In the statistical report at conference the number was announced as 51,819.
kairos
CTR B

Post by kairos »

Somewhere of late I saw an abortion number for 2019 of 818,000 or close to it- interesting if true, more human life taken from the most vulnerable citizens than any other death causing disease.

just astonished
k